Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 05:38 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,097,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Im pretty sure the combined sum of the extra counties surrounding the metro add about 1 million more people ontop of the immediate MSA. If it were a few towns I could see it but these are entire counties of which include areas like Gainesville, Cartersville, Griffin, Villa Rica, Oconee - ect...Those are fairly populated regions...ALTHOUGH I personally don't think people are moving to those areas from out of state, I believe they are moving to them from the immediate metro, moving further from the city and people out of state are moving closer to the Metro, usually for work related reasons.
If a county is a 100k how is it an "extra counties"

There are the 5 core counties plus 10 counties that grown a 100k is like 90% of metro population.

The "extra counties" under 100k these counties combine wouldn't even equal half a million. Otherwise they don't add significant population to the metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 10:04 PM

The Five core counties 3,755,843

The next 10 populated counties over 100k 1,473,475

The counties under 100k together 537,606

The counties under 100k minus Walton, Rockdale, Barrow, Spalding 211,253

Old 06-27-2018, 10:16 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Im pretty sure the combined sum of the extra counties surrounding the metro add about 1 million more people ontop of the immediate MSA. If it were a few towns I could see it but these are entire counties of which include areas like Gainesville, Cartersville, Griffin, Villa Rica, Oconee - ect...Those are fairly populated regions...
The inclusion of these places in Metro Atlanta is determined by the Feds. This is a situation that is out of our hands.

Quote:
ALTHOUGH I personally don't think people are moving to those areas from out of state, I believe they are moving to them from the immediate metro, moving further from the city and people out of state are moving closer to the Metro, usually for work related reasons.
People are moving from both places, but it is far more from out of state than some exodus from the core Counties. The Census Bureau's website is your friend.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:34 PM

Census usually add and take away counties depending on how the a metro is growing. This something not factor in. The project is base on current counties

I predict Hall counties is going be added to the MSA up from the CSA. Hall has a estimated of nearly 200k. That actually would put Atlanta MSA larger than Philly MSA is right now. If this happens in by 2022 Atlanta wouldn't only jump Philly but Miami as well because Atlanta is growing slightly faster. And Hall added pop would decrease the gap. but other factors may play in.

Old 06-28-2018, 12:53 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post

People are moving from both places, but it is far more from out of state than some exodus from the core Counties. The Census Bureau's website is your friend.
I tend to agree.

The outer suburbs are full of transplants these days. This isn't 1998.

Old 06-28-2018, 01:37 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Census usually add and take away counties depending on how the a metro is growing. This something not factor in. The project is base on current counties

I predict Hall counties is going be added to the MSA up from the CSA. Hall has a estimated of nearly 200k. That actually would put Atlanta MSA larger than Philly MSA is right now. If this happens in by 2022 Atlanta wouldn't only jump Philly but Miami as well because Atlanta is growing slightly faster. And Hall added pop would decrease the gap. but other factors may play in.
Even without Hall County being added, as long as Atlanta maintains a growth rate of 80,000 to 90,000 per year, it could even surpass Philadelphia by 2020 given how slowly it's growing (only by ~20,000 per year). It will definitely be a photo finish though

Miami is a bit of a stretch by 2020 or even 2022 though, IMO.

*Of course, wild cards like a economic recession, Amazon HQ2, natural disasters, etc, could always change everything between now and 2020 or 2022.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:46 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Considering Atlanta was growing 140k a year and now just 80 to 90k this is pretty moderate.

And this doesn't change my point. Growth is fuel for change, it increase the tax base to fund those fixes and it give developers more confidence in projects for redevelopment. Not to mention growth change the demographics and political culture which affect these issues. So the slower the growth slower those issues will be addressed. And AnsleyPark didn't mention growth rate in that post what was mention a complaint over issues as if all growth would lead to more of it.. so my response was directly respond to that. So " Precisely." is more like relief that someone disagree with me regardless that it had nothing to do with the post. My post was specific to that point. Growth create challenges but it also create opportunities.

The focus shouldn't be on growth vs no growth but rather the type of growth itself.
Most places lag in their response to rapid growth and metro Atlanta is no exception. We are only now seeing updates to transit and other types of infrastructure in response to much of the growth that has already occurred and there's still more to be done. A cooling-down period with respect to growth is a good thing and no place can boom forever.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:22 AM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Quote:
If a county is a 100k how is it an "extra counties"

There are the 5 core counties plus 10 counties that grown a 100k is like 90% of metro population.

The "extra counties" under 100k these counties combine wouldn't even equal half a million. Otherwise they don't add significant population to the metro.
The population of those counties have little to do with them being included in the MSA or not, however; I'm sure those counties growth were definitely influenced by Atlanta and its metro without a doubt, but as a basic example the same could be said for exhurb cities outside of the Los Angeles MSA.. which extends well outside of that area which in the grand scope of SoCal the Greater Los Angeles MSA is pretty much inner-city.

The difference is, those areas outside of Los Angeles have other job centers scattered throughout the region making it unecessary to commute to the city center for work where as populated areas outside of Atlanta do not offer as much in terms of work and have to commute to Atlanta (or within the 5 core counties) which makes Atlanta's MSA seem larger than it really is when compared to other metro's. If those metro's exhurbs were included (meaning they had to commute into the city for work) their MSA would also inflate.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:51 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
The difference is, those areas outside of Los Angeles have other job centers scattered throughout the region making it unecessary to commute to the city center for work where as populated areas outside of Atlanta do not offer as much in terms of work and have to commute to Atlanta (or within the 5 core counties) which makes Atlanta's MSA seem larger than it really is when compared to other metro's. If those metro's exhurbs were included (meaning they had to commute into the city for work) their MSA would also inflate.
People from outlying counties don't need to commute to the city center for those counties to be included in the metro; they can commute to other core counties in the metro. Also consider that California has both very small and very large counties and this is probably the reason Riverside/San Bernardino is a separate MSA (put part of the same CSA).

You need to stop using the word "inflate." The same standard of inclusion for metropolitan counties exists all across the country, but things like geography, development patterns, county size, etc. may play a role in how counties are included or excluded.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:25 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Most places lag in their response to rapid growth and metro Atlanta is no exception. We are only now seeing updates to transit and other types of infrastructure in response to much of the growth that has already occurred and there's still more to be done. A cooling-down period with respect to growth is a good thing and no place can boom forever.
Atlanta's popularity post-recession has filled Georgia's coffers and thankfully they are seizing the opportunity to make infrastructure improvements while the money's flowing.

You only have to look at Georgia's state budget which used to always be the same as NC's.

But this year Georgia's budget is $2 billion more than NC's ($26 billion to NC's $24 billion).

If Georgia had emerged just average from the recession, nothing would be going on, and it would be the same whining and protesting against so much as a 10 cent gas tax hike.

And support for mass transit I feel is solely due to the headquarters of State Farm, NCR, etc. insisting to be near Marta lines. That confirmed to State leaders that Marta is the region's most valuable asset, not just transportation for the riff raff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta