Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 12:44 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,111 times

Advertisements

How is someone screwed with schools there? I've always heard Ashford Park Elementary in Brookhaven is a wonderful and highly ranked school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 12:48 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
Another insightful, lacking details, post by our friend Icon. OP, the only advice I can give you for certain, is ignore any post by Icon on the subject of Brookhaven. See other thread.
Yes, by all means ignore the Elephant in the Room called DeKalb County Schools. There is nowhere in the metro that has a larger disparity between neighborhood affluence and school quality than does NW DeKalb County; that includes Brookhaven. I stand by my statement to the OP that for the $$$ she would be much better off looking a few blocks west in North Buckhead; it's served by a far superior elementary school and school cluster in general. That should be obvious to anyone operating within the realm of rationality and not on the basis of some childish vendetta against another poster.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:57 PM

221 posts, read 190,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantATL View Post
Hi all,

Posted earlier about a potential move back to East Cobb from out of state but now we are seriously considering Brookhaven as well. Aside from cost per square foot as the challenge, anyone have any advice or experience for a young family looking? Do not want to do private school so a decent school zone is a must. Kids are 4 and 1...

Any areas to focus on or avoid? Thanks!
Each person has a different opinion on what "decent school zone" means.

One of my coworkers put his kid in an East Cobb elementary and thought it was not up to par so he pulled him out and put him into private school.

Virtually every single school north of I20 has been claimed to be "very good" by at least one person on this forum. Many of these schools have also been characterized as "I will never send my kids there" by another person on the forum.

One issue with Brookhaven is that the housing in the area is very nice. If you live in a nicer community in Brookhaven, you may run into the issue where all your neighbors start sending their kids to private school starting middle school. This leaves your children with few friends that attend the same school. IMO I think this is a huge issue and I wouldn't put my children in a position where their friends all attend privates schools, while they themselves attend public school.

I understand why they do it, but I hate it when parents give up on public schools after elementary.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:04 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
How is someone screwed with schools there? I've always heard Ashford Park Elementary in Brookhaven is a wonderful and highly ranked school.
It is, and highly ranked by Great Schools. But you've also got Montclair ES and Woodward ES within the district, so as long as you stay within the confines of APES, you're fine...until middle school. Then you're faced with the prospect of either Chamblee or Sequoyah. Beyond that looms the prospect of Cross Keys High.

https://www.zillow.com/brookhaven-ga/schools/

https://www.google.com/search?q=broo...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Old 07-03-2018, 01:04 PM

221 posts, read 190,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Yes, by all means ignore the Elephant in the Room called DeKalb County Schools. There is nowhere in the metro that has a larger disparity between neighborhood affluence and school quality than does NW DeKalb County; that includes Brookhaven. I stand by my statement to the OP that for the $$$ she would be much better off looking a few blocks west in North Buckhead; it's served by a far superior elementary school and school cluster in general. That should be obvious to anyone operating within the realm of rationality and not on the basis of some childish vendetta against another poster.
Yes there are plenty of nice areas Dekalb county with abysmal support for public schools. We lived in Dunwoody and wanted to buy in an area zoned for Vanderlyn and Austin elementary, but when we found out many people took their kids out starting middle school due criticisms of the middle school there we ultimately decided to move away.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:03 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,859,250 times
Chamblee High School is historically pretty good if your child is in the Magnet Program for High Achievers. But, things are a bit of a mess there at the moment because of a well-publicized controversy regarding the Principal's leadership style. The teachers are mounting a rebellion and getting the press involved. In addition, a well-respected German teacher there was recently reassigned due to a different controversy. I think I'd give that school some second thought if they can't get their act straightened out.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local-educa...GGt1fzqo01p6L/

https://www.myajc.com/blog/get-schoo...vCezjQVCzsQoN/

And Cross Keys High School is not somewhere I would want my kids to be. Maybe you are more adventurous than me, so YMMV.

https://www.greatschools.org/georgia...s-High-School/

Old 07-03-2018, 02:47 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,425,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoxdiamond View Post
Yes there are plenty of nice areas Dekalb county with abysmal support for public schools. We lived in Dunwoody and wanted to buy in an area zoned for Vanderlyn and Austin elementary, but when we found out many people took their kids out starting middle school due criticisms of the middle school there we ultimately decided to move away.
My brother did Peachtree > Dunwoody

A niece of mine is at Dunwoody HS, a nephew at Peachtree, another nephew and niece at Austin. All doing quite well. The Dunwoody HS niece will have her pick of colleges. I actually went to Vanderlyn before moving to Sandy Springs and went to Heards Ferry.

Again, all about what you want out of it in my opinion.

Chamblee's current principal will not be factor for us as our oldest is 8. I wonder how much of that is established teachers not liking change and being out of their comfort zone. And if teachers would let that impact the quality of their teaching, see ya. I want the teachers to be happy too, don't get me wrong, but first and foremost are the kids.

Old 07-03-2018, 03:03 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Few issues are as contentious on this board as what makes a good school.

Certainly, some of it is a matter of opinion, just like everything else. Whereas many people would say Plan 9 From Outer Space is a terrible movie, others are captivated by its low-budget charm.

However, the overall consensus of mainstream film critics and moviegoers is it is the worst film ever made.

And so it goes with schools. Can your mileage vary? Of course it can. And you may find yourself, or your child, and outlier. However, the mainstream consensus is that middle schools in Brookhaven are awful. Most resident agree, which is why....private school.

But of course, not EVERYBODY agrees. Most people, though, don't want to put the welfare of their children up against the wisdom of the herd.

Old 07-03-2018, 03:09 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,859,250 times
I would encourage the OP to give more thought to Dunwoody HS cluster if public school is a must. 30338 specifically. Plenty of nice housing options and a more consistent school situation.

Old 07-03-2018, 03:41 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,425,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
I would encourage the OP to give more thought to Dunwoody HS cluster if public school is a must. 30338 specifically. Plenty of nice housing options and a more consistent school situation.
This is a good recommendation. Austin cluster is great as are others. Housing is on par with E Cobb.

Quote:
But of course, not EVERYBODY agrees. Most people, though, don't want to put the welfare of their children up against the wisdom of the herd.
Well, what is the consensus of the herd on the north side?

We had our pick of where to live. Still do. I'm not saying our decision is the best or right for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta