Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 05:37 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,047,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I'm checking out Houston and Dallas and Austin, too
If you're looking for a conservative place, I'd recommend Dallas over Atlanta.

You'll give up the humidity, but it's definitely more southern and churchy than Atlanta, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 05:47 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
I'd check out this path out or get a job in Silicon Valley for 2 years and then move to Atlanta. You probably can get an internship in Silicon Valley easier while at Davis also.
So far I have done two internships--one in a lab in Idaho, another at a NASA facility on the Gulf Coast operating instrumentation calibrations and writing a MATLAB program (that's as much as I'll specify). I also got an interview for a telecomm internship in Atlanta (though I didn't get the job.)

I can see why employers might not want to hire interns from across the country. But like I said, I interned on the Gulf Coast, far away from California. So wouldn't it be even more doable if I moved to Atlanta and started looking for a job there? After all, it's typically 6-9 months between graduation and your first job.

Not opposed to getting a master's, either, but would like to get some industry experience first.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:45 PM

338 posts, read 310,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
So far I have done two internships--one in a lab in Idaho, another at a NASA facility on the Gulf Coast operating instrumentation calibrations and writing a MATLAB program (that's as much as I'll specify). I also got an interview for a telecomm internship in Atlanta (though I didn't get the job.)

I can see why employers might not want to hire interns from across the country. But like I said, I interned on the Gulf Coast, far away from California. So wouldn't it be even more doable if I moved to Atlanta and started looking for a job there? After all, it's typically 6-9 months between graduation and your first job.

Not opposed to getting a master's, either, but would like to get some industry experience first.
I don't think employers would have issues with you applying from across the country. My brother graduated a few years ago from Ga Tech with an engineering degree. As graduation approached, recruiters from companies all over the country were contacting him with offers to fly him in for interviews. So, he interviewed and got some offers from all over, but ended up accepting an offer from AT&T in Atlanta. And they are currently paying for his Master's Degree. One of his friends from Tech got hired by a company in San Diego, and gets to live in the beach.

I think your location is not something they'll care about. They care about whether you're qualified for the job itself.

Also, get the job first, then move.

Best wishes.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:32 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,277 times
Are there a lot of H1B visas (I would think so, but what about in defense companies)? Heard H1B visas make it virtually impossible for all but the best newly grads to get a job.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:26 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,483,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
If you're looking for a conservative place, I'd recommend Dallas over Atlanta.

You'll give up the humidity, but it's definitely more southern and churchy than Atlanta, I think.
Actually, both cities are about the same these days on the socio-political standpoints. Dallas is just overrun with transplants and socially progressive individuals as Atlanta.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:37 AM

221 posts, read 189,842 times
Quote:
Are there a lot of H1B visas (I would think so, but what about in defense companies)? Heard H1B visas make it virtually impossible for all but the best newly grads to get a job.
There are a lot of H1Bs here but I don't think there are that many (or any) working at defense companies due to national security concerns, lots of these companies require US citizenship.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:57 AM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,727,780 times
I have an undergrad from Georgia Tech in EE with a focus on RF/electromagnetics including antenna design and passive PCB circuits. I used that education to get a job in the wireless telecom industry when I graduated. I've been in it ever since, though I do much more customer facing/sales roles nowadays (for more money than I ever dreamed of as an engineer! ).

If you don't want to work just on hardware, I would look into applications of antenna design and signal processing..i.e. systems, systems engineering, systems integration. This will lead to a far longer path to the glass ceiling than being a hardware designer, in my opinion. Jobs to do this kind of work are available for new grads in the Atlanta metro for sure.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:11 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,125 times
Quote:
I am an Electrical Engineering major going into my senior year at the University of California, Davis, and want to move to the Southeast permanently. How’s the engineering job market in Atlanta? Of course, Silicon Valley is unbeatable for high-tech, but I really don’t like the fast-paced, expensive, liberal atmosphere of California, so I’m looking for jobs in the Southeast. I spent a summer in New Orleans and Biloxi and loved the humid weather and scenery there much more than California, so I know I want to go to The South.

Does anyone have insight to the following questions?
  1. I am taking courses mainly in signal processing and antenna design. How are the telecomm and Aerospace/Defense industries in Atlanta?
  2. Is it harder for an engineering grad from California to get a job vs. someone from a nearby college? Do I need a more impressive GPA, internships, projects, etc. than I would need if I were to apply to jobs back in California? We all know how competitive Silicon Valley is, but Georgia Tech is a very prestigious school, too.
  3. I am a US-born citizen and have heard that since the 1990s the influx of H1B applicants has made engineering much more competitive, especially for new grads. How much of a problem is this in the telecomm/defense companies around the area?
Take as much advantage of the career services department at your college as possible, as well as reaching out on your own to companies in the area you want to live.

Never in your life will you have as easy access to prospective employers as you will as a senior in college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta