Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 12:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,650 times

Advertisements

No you do not want to come to West Virginia there are no jobs here..and no cultural things to do. And the pay is horrible here. Im trying to get out of here but as a single mother of young children and a teenager I dont know where to go. When I had my first two children I lived In atlanta It was very hard and I applied for housing but no luck but I didnt have the resources I have now. I also could not find a permanant job only a job through temp agencies and they didnt pay enough to live in a nice area. I also didnt have a card either. But that was 12 yrs ago I dont know what its like now. Does anyone know where I can move but still make it as a single mother. Im open to other states besides nc and ga. All advice would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 06:59 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,094,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbuch View Post
They are the best areas of town. If you head south and west then you are likely in high crime, poor school, relatively not well developed areas.

If you put one end of a string in the center of Atl and extended it towards Smyrna. Start sweeping that string clockwise until you hit I-20. Those are the areas I would concentrate on. I say rule of thumb because there are always exceptions. For example, Powder springs and Austell are growing nicely, and there are certain areas of Gwinett I would stay away from.

No campcreek cascade fairburn and peachtree city are good areas on the southside nice gated communitys with Developments around them not all of the south side is bad

Old 06-21-2010, 09:51 PM

22 posts, read 34,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenie View Post
We've considered Raleigh and were not too happy about proximity of the huge Nuclear Power Plant (Shearon Harris). The area felt environmentally unsound. Internet Searches reveal some environmental problems in Apex etc.... Use Google Earth to scope out different vacinities... I'm Georgia bound!!

Every city in the eastern US is within 50-miles of a nuclear power plant, and the power plant close to Raleigh is very small, it only has one cooling tower and is like 20 miles from Downtown. What a dumb comment. New York City is closer to a Nuclear power plant than Raleigh is. : smack::s mack::sm ack::sma ck: yes that's how frustrated I am with this really uneducated comment.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:21 AM

725 posts, read 1,511,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gisturala View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are from New Jersey and we are debating whether to relocate to Raleigh or suburban Atlanta. We have two small children, our oldest will start kindergarden. We like that Raleigh is growing a lot and will present a lot of opportunities, but we feel that it is boring. Atlanta has more things to do. We want a place that is good to raise kids, but also have some big city ammenities. We wouldn't want to live in Atlanta, because it is too busy there, but we would like to live near a city.
We want a place that is also not too religious, and our perception was that Raleigh is a little more religious than Atlanta. We don't care about peoples beliefs, we just don't want to feel weird because we don't frequent a church or because our children are half jewish.
If anybody has any opinion about either place or relocated to one of those places, please let us know. We have being to both places, but a tourist view is always different than a resident view.
Wow there has been a lot of gloom and doom on the post. Here's the truth...

If you are worried about the religious thing in Atlanta. Don't worry about the religious thing. There are many different types of religions here and Jews have been a part of Atlanta history for a long time. I've lived in Atlanta for 20+ years and I have never had anybody inquire about my church attendance (I haven't been to church in months) or my religion. To most people that's a delicate subject and only people that feel like they are that close to you... will even attempt to enter it as a topic... at your discretion.

As far as crime... yeah it's bad, but if your not a d-boy, gangster, or hustler than you don't have what they want. You have to take common sense safety percaustions. Yet... put it like this... I had a convertible with the top down in Riverdale one of the highest crime areas with my car tv, naviagtor, and some money in the dash. A whole night went be and nothing was taken. I got plenty of stories where I knew I was going to be taken and.... nothing. Most people arent crooks... only a few...

The only real negative things in my opinion about Atlanta that set it apart is the k-12 is really bad in some areas while really good and some. So where you move is important with kids. ALso the traffic is really bad.

The good things are that it's not lacking in amenities. It has plenty of restaurant/ grocery options, entertainment, and 24 hour convience... for a heck of a bargain, and affordable cost of living. The Univeristies are good. The thing where Atlanta is better than Raleigh is... Atlanta has a diverse economy. In Raleigh the research industy is strong and the others industries are sub-par or non-existant. While Atlanta has all the industires in a major way. So if one fails or suffers you can just jump to another one. And while some people that move here move away when they get stable... almost everybody I know is from somewhere else... so what does that tell you?

Old 06-22-2010, 06:33 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
Wow there has been a lot of gloom and doom on the post. Here's the truth...

If you are worried about the religious thing in Atlanta. Don't worry about the religious thing. There are many different types of religions here and Jews have been a part of Atlanta history for a long time. I've lived in Atlanta for 20+ years and I have never had anybody inquire about my church attendance (I haven't been to church in months) or my religion. To most people that's a delicate subject and only people that feel like they are that close to you... will even attempt to enter it as a topic... at your discretion.
Not to be "gloom and doom", but the religion thing seems to be a topic on which peoples' experiences vary very widely. Some of us have found the cultural prominence of conservative Christianity very apparent in the Atlanta suburbs, and have very much noticed this as a change from other places we've lived. The bolded comment above would be a perfect description of how people approach the topic in Canada, where I came from. But in the Atlanta suburbs, I've been asked which church I attend, lots.

Here on City-Data, some posters' experiences and opinions strongly agree with mine, while others agree with the ATLien. I don't know why there's this big discrepancy. You'll have to pick who to believe.

I do agree with the ATLien, that the Jewish community here seems to be long-established and strong. I don't think there's any reason to be concerned about comfort level for Jewish or part-Jewish families.

By the way, I'm not sensitive to the cultural Christianity around here because I'm non-Christian. I'm an active churchgoing Episcopalian and not uncomfortable about discussing religion. I just notice the difference from where I came from.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:47 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Not to be "gloom and doom", but the religion thing seems to be a topic on which peoples' experiences vary very widely. Some of us have found the cultural prominence of conservative Christianity very apparent in the Atlanta suburbs, and have very much noticed this as a change from other places we've lived. The bolded comment above would be a perfect description of how people approach the topic in Canada, where I came from. But in the Atlanta suburbs, I've been asked which church I attend, lots.

Here on City-Data, some posters' experiences and opinions strongly agree with mine, while others agree with the ATLien. I don't know why there's this big discrepancy. You'll have to pick who to believe.

I do agree with the ATLien, that the Jewish community here seems to be long-established and strong. I don't think there's any reason to be concerned about comfort level for Jewish or part-Jewish families.

By the way, I'm not sensitive to the cultural Christianity around here because I'm non-Christian. I'm an active churchgoing Episcopalian and not uncomfortable about discussing religion. I just notice the difference from where I came from.
I agree with Rainy on the conservative Christian vibe...it took me a few years to notice but now I see it everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta