Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 07:31 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,320,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Totally agree. As I recall the typical voter turnout for mid=term elections is about 35% or less.

That is pathetic.

If Democrats voted at the same rate they did for president it would be a democratic landslide in Georgia. But people are idiots and don't bother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 08:39 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,358,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
I've done this too. Over the last few election cycles, the crazy has infected the Republican party, and it's becoming harder and harder to get sane candidates through.
Yet somehow, the crazier ones just keep getting elected. It's almost as if people want America to just crumble into the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
If Democrats voted at the same rate they did for president it would be a democratic landslide in Georgia. But people are idiots and don't bother.
I'm pretty whatever usually on mid-term elections and localized elections, simply because of time. If I'm free, I will absolutely be there. That being said....there is no way in hell I will miss this election to vote for Abrams. Even though her incessant phone calls and text messages (sometimes five or more per day) were a turn off, I cannot fathom having some cheesedick like Kemp leading this state.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:54 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Doesn't this statement rather suggest that Democrats are idiots?

Old 07-09-2018, 10:11 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Democrats under estimate the influence they can have.

With that said Republicans are gerrymandering districts. And have few polling areas and etc in more diverse and progressive areas. Stuff like long lines, short limited Early voting and work effect turn out.

Gwinnett is not a rual county

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re3ipm_pYPc

After 2016's long lines, Gwinnett may add more early voting ... - AJC.com

but then

Georgia General Assembly considering bill that could derail Gwinnett's Sunday voting plan

Quote:
Although Gwinnett County officials plan to introduce Sunday voting this fall as part of an expansion of early voting in the county, those plans could be derailed by a bill pending in the Georgia General Assembly.

Gwinnett County Board of Elections Chairman Stephen Day said he is concerned about a provision about weekend voting that was added to Senate Bill 363 after it went to the House of Representatives this month.

The bill passed out of the Senate as a measure to address the counting of ballots cast before election day and set voting hours as 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. After the House Governmental Affairs Committee went over the bill, however, it included a section that said a county can only offer weekend voting on one Saturday or one Sunday, but not both.

“I don’t want to speculate about how, or why or what (caused it to be added),” Day said. “I just know it takes away local control decision making as far as early voting goes, as far as doing it on the weekend.”

The bill is currently sitting in the House Rules Committee, which gets to decide the bills that go to the House floor for a vote. It was presented to the committee on Friday, but Rep. Buzz Brockway, R-Lawrenceville, said it had not yet been added to the full chamber’s legislative calendar for Tuesday. Brockway is carrying the bill in the House.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:23 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,320,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Yep. The average American, regardless of party affiliation, is an idiot. They barely vote and know nothing of how our government functions.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:36 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Yep. The average American, regardless of party affiliation, is an idiot. They barely vote and know nothing of how our government functions.
Certainly there's truth in that, but let's not act as though the Democratic Party hasn't only been a few degrees separated from the GOP on several issues for the past 40 years or so. The lurch to the left is a pretty recent phenomenon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: