Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2009, 05:37 PM

5 posts, read 17,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABM View Post
Cool shots! Keep 'em coming!

Say, isn't the city of Atlanta city limits within some type of national forest or such? I thought I had heard/read that somewhere before.

Props for the thread!
Chattahoochee National Recreation Area. It's a real gem that many local residents don't even know about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 11:32 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,653,279 times
I am loving these pics! I can't wait to move there next summer. Please keep posting them so that I can get my Atlanta fix!!

Old 07-11-2009, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 5,062 times
Atlanta looks great! I love how there are so many trees around so many buildings. I'm looking forward to going to college in Atlanta soon .

Old 07-12-2009, 08:43 AM

178 posts, read 615,848 times
Great pictures guys. Greg I'm glad you added the Vortex. Also, you pictures of Dahlonega make the town look very inviting and fun to be around the Christmas season. That place is such a cool design on the outside. I went there last week for trivia night. I plan to go every tuesday night now. Will, I think I'm going to check out that Ghetto Burger it sounds interesting. And Will, that snow shot is lovely.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:58 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,765,959 times
Default Atlanta 1985....

I just found some old film negatives I had in a box. Hooked up the long-unused scanner and did some film strip scanning. So the quality isn't so hot when you add negative film scans with 24 year old strips. Ugh.

Anyway, I believe I took this shot 1 year after moving to Atlanta, so it was around 1985. Note... almost no Midtown skyline yet, and what was then known as the IBM building wasn't even completed. No Nationsbank building or any of the other now landmark Midtown and downtown stuff for the most part.

This was also a time when you could drive through the downtown connector area during rush hour AT THE SPEED LIMIT. :-P

Old 07-31-2009, 02:06 PM

99 posts, read 326,441 times
Wow, that surely is the old Atlanta, atlantagreg30127.

Although I am not from there ( I may be moving there in October for a job), was Atlanta in the mid-1980s more like Charlotte is now? (I don't mean to offend Charlotteans) A city and metropolitan area that was really starting to find its way, and take off as a regional anchor, thus attracting people from across the nation and globe? All of these downtown photos are making me excited about moving to the ATL!!

Old 07-31-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ1977 View Post
Wow, that surely is the old Atlanta, atlantagreg30127.

Although I am not from there ( I may be moving there in October for a job), was Atlanta in the mid-1980s more like Charlotte is now? (I don't mean to offend Charlotteans) A city and metropolitan area that was really starting to find its way, and take off as a regional anchor, thus attracting people from across the nation and globe? All of these downtown photos are making me excited about moving to the ATL!!
If you do a search in the Atlanta room and possibly the city vs city room under General U.S., you'll find some older thread about the "Charlotte today compared to Atlanta then" kind of stuff. Yes, in 1984 Atlanta was pretty much on par with the way Charlotte is today, give or take, and with a few differences. Check out those rooms for the topics as we're trying to keep this one as pics and discussion of pics only, but you'll find what you're looking for if you look around.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:16 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,403,191 times
Does anyone have any pictures of communities like Suwanee, Duluth, Roswell, or Alpharetta?

Old 08-10-2009, 01:04 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,143,342 times
ill be visiting again for the first time in 8 years. i'm excited. anyone been up to that restaurant at the top of the westin? i think i'm going to try to have a drink or something i can afford up there just to see the city from up there.

what a gorgeous city. it's like raleigh in 75 years ;-)
i'd be too optimistic to hope that the homeless people issue downtown has improved any?

Old 08-10-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
ill be visiting again for the first time in 8 years. i'm excited. anyone been up to that restaurant at the top of the westin? i think i'm going to try to have a drink or something i can afford up there just to see the city from up there.
It's called the Sundial Restaurant. "Decent" food, but good atmosphere. Bring the American Express card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta