Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2008, 08:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,984 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am about to move to Atlanta, GA in two months and was wondering if 500 10th street (near Hemphill and outskirt of GA Tech) is a safe place to live. I have heard that Hampon Ave. (nearby) seems like a sketchy place, do you think I will have problem living there? Also, another place on 1170 Curran Place (near Hampton as well) is also available for rent. Since I am not an Atlanta native, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 09:18 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
I wouldn't say that Midtown west of the connector is totally safe; I know that there was a shooting on the street in Home Park last year (don't know the details). The area is on its way up, but I'd rather be on 10th east of the Connector.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:20 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,254,112 times
That area is really hit or miss, and a lot of it is "miss" unfortunately. That area is on the far western side of Home Park, a neighborhood with lots of older craftsman-style home. The area is convenient to everything in Atlanta for sure. However, the quality of the homes range from great upkeep to shacks. The main reason is that, because of its close proximity to campus, lots of homes are rentals and thus attract college students, some of which are not the most courteous.

In terms of safety, again it is a hit or miss. Recently, there were two carjackings further down on 10th Street (right at the Graduate student apartments of Tech). Also, the area near 10th and Northside is a bit rough, and some characters tend to hang around the Marathon station.

I am not sure of your situation, but this area, IMO, is not totally dangerous, but there are better areas to consider not too far away (e.g., Loring Heights).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta