Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 10:54 AM

68 posts, read 74,619 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I recently moved into an apartment on Franklin Gateway in Marietta, GA with my fiancee. We plan on renting in Cobb for the next 1-2 years while saving for a home. I've heard some bad things about the area, but I am also aware that there has been a huge revitalization effort going on for the past couple of years. I lived in the Stone Mountain/Lithonia area my entire life, so I am very familiar with neighborhood crime.

So far, we haven't had any issues in the complex. The corridor is pretty diverse, actually. The majority of the tenants in our complex are Hispanic, although there are other ethnicities outside of it. As stated earlier, the corridor is going though some changes. The ATL United Training Facility, pubilc soccer complex, an upcoming IKEA, and a Topgolf competitor are a few to name. Also smaller businesses and rundown apartments buildings are being closed down and demolished for new construction, respectively. This in turn is reportedly raising rent prices, which is pushing low income people out. Some would call it a case of gentrification. We're just hoping for a safe and quiet living experience. Anyone here familiar with the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 12:26 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_knight08 View Post
Hey everyone,

I recently moved into an apartment on Franklin Gateway in Marietta, GA with my fiancee. We plan on renting in Cobb for the next 1-2 years while saving for a home. I've heard some bad things about the area, but I am also aware that there has been a huge revitalization effort going on for the past couple of years. I lived in the Stone Mountain/Lithonia area my entire life, so I am very familiar with neighborhood crime.

So far, we haven't had any issues in the complex. The corridor is pretty diverse, actually. The majority of the tenants in our complex are Hispanic, although there are other ethnicities outside of it. As stated earlier, the corridor is going though some changes. The ATL United Training Facility, pubilc soccer complex, an upcoming IKEA, and a Topgolf competitor are a few to name. Also smaller businesses and rundown apartments buildings are being closed down and demolished for new construction, respectively. This in turn is reportedly raising rent prices, which is pushing low income people out. Some would call it a case of gentrification. We're just hoping for a safe and quiet living experience. Anyone here familiar with the area?
I think you know most of what can be said. The things that brought the area down are being dealt with. It is in a transition phase and should only get better from here on out.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:58 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,285 times
I drove by there recently and noticed there had been a huge transformation but it is still slow moving. The IKEA may never get built because they are pulling back on their expansion plans (they have cancelled projects in other cities) but the TopGolf competitor is still planned to the best of my knowledge.

It suspect it is not as bad as it once was, and as long as you use good judgement you should be okay. But don't plan on any immediate changes soon since I don't think any of the big projects have broken ground.

I did notice how many fields were occupied with activity and it definitely had a feeling as a happening place for soccer activity

Old 08-06-2018, 02:26 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,366,551 times
What I do know is that there are some nice restaurants off that road not far from the highway.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:38 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
I drove by there recently and noticed there had been a huge transformation but it is still slow moving. The IKEA may never get built because they are pulling back on their expansion plans (they have cancelled projects in other cities) but the TopGolf competitor is still planned to the best of my knowledge.

It suspect it is not as bad as it once was, and as long as you use good judgement you should be okay. But don't plan on any immediate changes soon since I don't think any of the big projects have broken ground.

I did notice how many fields were occupied with activity and it definitely had a feeling as a happening place for soccer activity
Hopefully, if they decide to re-expand, IKEA will build their second location at Gwinnett Place which should've been the original plan/proposal.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:27 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I think you know most of what can be said. The things that brought the area down are being dealt with. It is in a transition phase and should only get better from here on out.
This.

Saintmarks hit the nail right on the head.

The Franklin Gateway corridor appears to be on the rise and seems to have much upside moving forward.

The area is still overcoming its challenges, but the area is undoubtedly moving forward and signs of progress have been tangible.

Someone in your situation (the OP's situation) appears to be 'getting in on the ground floor' as far as the long-term potential for continued progress in the improvement of a corridor that was noticeably troubled in the not-too-distant past.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:14 AM

Seems like things are headed in the right direction in this corridor. Due to lack of familiar businesses in the area, I usually have to go down Cobb Pkwy or Powers Ferry for shopping, which isn't a bad commute at all. Hopefully, the revamp attracts business to the road.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:04 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_knight08 View Post
Hey everyone,

I am very familiar with the Franklin - Delk Road area. I suggest if you have or own "nice things" keep them out of eyesight. Dont leave luxury items exposed in your automobiles. Its not an area I advise showing one self off.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
I am very familiar with the Franklin - Delk Road area. I suggest if you have or own "nice things" keep them out of eyesight. Dont leave luxury items exposed in your automobiles. Its not an area I advise showing one self off.
Good advice, I tell everyone this no matter where they are. I'm just wondering if this area could possibly be just as bad, or worse than Stone Mountain/Lithonia. I just can't see it, given that I'm coming from an area where drug dealing and break-ins are pretty common. I know it may not be the greatest area Marietta has to offer, but I hoping that I didn't make the mistake of jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:15 PM

297 posts, read 271,555 times
I work for a company that spear-headed the revitalization on Franklin Road. I don't say who I work for but it's pretty easy to figure out. We made a huge investment in office space about 3 years ago. At the time we moved in the area was rough. It has slowly improved but there are still some rough parts. There are some really good restaurants like Jerusalem bakery and Tasty China. The Atlanta United moved their practice facility on Franklin Road last year. That is a positive force but it really does not draw a lot of traffic. I think the Ikea is the next big step. Once Ikea moves in, I think that will really anchor a lot of growth. There is also a county park that was built. One bad thing about the growth is really good local restaurants like Igula which is a Mexican grocery/taco spot may get forced out if the property owner can make a profit. One of the big problems are some of the weekly hotels over by Cracker Barrel. Those type of hotels have a lot of crime around them. A lot of this depends on how the economy does. I have not heard about the Top Golf competitor coming in but that will also continue to push improvement. I would say the area is upwardly trending and improving but it's taking longer than expected. The Ikea could accelerate the revitalization but no guarantee. Hopefully Cobb Co will continue to make improvements to the traffic flow over there. The traffic backups are getting pretty bad at rush hour at Cobb Parkway and Delk road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta