Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 11:19 AM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
You didn't actually think more intown density was going to result in LESS traffic, did you?
Some people did.

Yes, it is continually getting worse. Some parts of Atlanta don't have the street infrastructure to support more density. East Atlanta is getting there. Now West Atlanta has plenty of room as well as room to improve the infrastructure.

Rather than commuter rail in one of the least dense major urban areas in the country, where rail is useful IS close in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 11:21 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I do not drive in the suburbs regularly, but I took a road trip up to Tennessee the other week and the traffic in the suburbs was far worse than in-town. The construction on I-75 had traffic crawling at ~15mph for 20+ miles.
Traditionally the suburbs have had worse traffic. But now it seems the tables have turned. Getting around in the city proper in the urbanized areas (downtown, Midtown and Buckhead) is becoming a hassle.

I guess we'll see tomorrow what MoreMARTA has in mind for relieving traffic in Buckhead.

Amy Perez & Tyra Baptiste from MoreMARTA will discuss the plans to allocate T-SPLOST funds to MARTA

Old 08-08-2018, 11:34 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Traditionally the suburbs have had worse traffic. But now it seems the tables have turned. Getting around in the city proper in the urbanized areas (downtown, Midtown and Buckhead) is becoming a hassle.

I guess we'll see tomorrow what MoreMARTA has in mind for relieving traffic in Buckhead.

Amy Perez & Tyra Baptiste from MoreMARTA will discuss the plans to allocate T-SPLOST funds to MARTA
I wouldn't expect too much. Mostly TPTB in Atlanta want to take out lanes from our already inadequate road network. Maybe they will take out some lanes and put in bike lanes for the few hundred white, male, upper middle class 20 and 30 something cyclists.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:38 AM
bu2

Dekalb County inside 285 from Dekalb Avenue north has been bad for quite a while. There are too few roads, too few and too short left turn lanes, too few 4 lane roads and too few streets crossing the freeways and freight railroads. Getting from central Dekalb to Perimeter Mall is one of the most difficult common commutes of that distance in the metro.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:49 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I wouldn't expect too much. Mostly TPTB in Atlanta want to take out lanes from our already inadequate road network. Maybe they will take out some lanes and put in bike lanes for the few hundred white, male, upper middle class 20 and 30 something cyclists.
What about the invisible cyclists?
https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/...le-bike-riders

Old 08-08-2018, 12:41 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
Default Intown traffic geting worse....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Each time I am in town, I am astounded by this very thing. When I moved five years ago, it was already hair pullingly bad. It gets worse each time I am there. Intown is desperately in need of more transit, moreso than, I think, the suburbs.

Brother, are you hitting the nail on the head!
I lived up in the city for 31 years before moving to the south 'burbs 8 years ago & retired a year ago after 32 years at my last job in the heart of Midtown. I'm so thankful to be out of the mess & try to avoid driving into the city for anything unless it's imperative or a must. And then, if I must come in, I weigh the MARTA options first.
I long ago saw the growing problem of gridlock that I could find near my office at literally almost any week day beginning just before noon & continuing on with little abatement until after the evening rush petered out. I specifically recall the repeated horrific instances of noon-time gridlock along 14th St. in eastbound/inbound traffic coming from the direction of Piedmont Park & points beyond as a prime example & the evening rush problems all along 14th St. from the park on down to the Connector..
On various previous traffic-oriented or Midtown-oriented threads I've written about what I saw & how the city was too often doing things that only compounded the problem, such as allowing the closing down of streets for festivals or movie shoots that HORRIBLY impacted the traffic flow for the WORKING FOLKS. And for that I was mocked by a few members as being a kill joy styled fuddy-duddy.
As for another problem the city government has a part in, there is the lack of synchronized traffic signals, a long-standing problem; a problem that I've had to specifically confront as a source of major frustration the last 2 times that I was forced by circumstances to drive into Midtown. Attempts have been made to work on this or said to be in the offing but heck, I've been hearing the talk of it for 35 years! So, where is the reality of it?

Another poster here has just used the "bloom coming off the rose" phrase that I have used in the past. Sadly, it's a reality.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:34 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Good luck with that, arjay.

Traffic is only going to get worse, not better.

But hey, traffic is the sign of a thriving city, right? And, I don't know what you're complaining about...it's still not as bad as midtown Manhattan!

Maybe you should just move closer to work and absolutely everything you ever want to do?

Old 08-08-2018, 05:01 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Good luck with that, arjay.

Traffic is only going to get worse, not better.

But hey, traffic is the sign of a thriving city, right? And, I don't know what you're complaining about...it's still not as bad as midtown Manhattan!

Maybe you should just move closer to work and absolutely everything you ever want to do?
Well, you make some very good points, ATLTJL.

I do live close to work (and often work from my home office) but I still have to get out and about from time to time.

And yes, traffic is just part of life in any big city and I'm not really complaining all that much. It's just kind of annoying when have to spend an hour to go 3 miles or so. My bad, though, for setting up a meeting near rush hour.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:12 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Quote:
My bad, though, for setting up a meeting near rush hour.
You should be able to rest knowing everybody you invited to the meeting hates you for making such a dick move.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:35 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Brother, are you hitting the nail on the head!
I lived up in the city for 31 years before moving to the south 'burbs 8 years ago & retired a year ago after 32 years at my last job in the heart of Midtown. I'm so thankful to be out of the mess & try to avoid driving into the city for anything unless it's imperative or a must. And then, if I must come in, I weigh the MARTA options first.
I long ago saw the growing problem of gridlock that I could find near my office at literally almost any week day beginning just before noon & continuing on with little abatement until after the evening rush petered out. I specifically recall the repeated horrific instances of noon-time gridlock along 14th St. in eastbound/inbound traffic coming from the direction of Piedmont Park & points beyond as a prime example & the evening rush problems all along 14th St. from the park on down to the Connector..
On various previous traffic-oriented or Midtown-oriented threads I've written about what I saw & how the city was too often doing things that only compounded the problem, such as allowing the closing down of streets for festivals or movie shoots that HORRIBLY impacted the traffic flow for the WORKING FOLKS. And for that I was mocked by a few members as being a kill joy styled fuddy-duddy.
As for another problem the city government has a part in, there is the lack of synchronized traffic signals, a long-standing problem; a problem that I've had to specifically confront as a source of major frustration the last 2 times that I was forced by circumstances to drive into Midtown. Attempts have been made to work on this or said to be in the offing but heck, I've been hearing the talk of it for 35 years! So, where is the reality of it?

Another poster here has just used the "bloom coming off the rose" phrase that I have used in the past. Sadly, it's a reality.
I think the lack of synchronization is deliberate--to slow vehicles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta