Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 08:41 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,872,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
And your cited experience of having to do a 1 mile detour to get back to the point of your missed turn speaks exactly to the situation & the lack of a better-connected street grid.
And that problem makes one really want to visit the area, whether for work, or for fun or in terms of residence, doesn't it?

Yes. I will never go to midtown for dinner (or anything else) near rush hour again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 09:20 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,118,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purporsion View Post
Someone once had a solution for the 285 trucks. Atlanta and GA, like usual, couldn't get something done.

What solution? The Outer Perimeter?

Old 08-09-2018, 10:04 PM

19,021 posts, read 14,196,312 times
Atlanta desperately needs rail based mass transit:
_ _ commuter links via existing rights of way (add more parallel tracks to bypass freight)
_ _ expand the subway / MARTA
_ _ elevated monorail service
_ _ streetcar at grade, esp. on the Beltline.

But with all the corruption and back door dealings, not likely to happen in the next 25 years.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:24 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,065 times
I really don't get caught in that much traffic. I left Buckhead behind Lenox mall the other day when it was pouring rain, and had to head down to Fulton Industrial south of Camp Creek. 23 miles. Went through town because 85 was all red. Took me under an hour including a lunch stop. I also drive down 14th all the time and rarely encounter this terrible traffic people here are talking about there. I don't know...maybe I just happen to hit the good times. When I do get stuck, I notice a few things alway come into play...see below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I was over in Westview the other day working and was astounded at how many people were using that cycle track. Is it possible to have negative users?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I think the lack of synchronization is deliberate--to slow vehicles.
There is no way that I could statistically spend as much time as I do sitting at red lights. The only reasonable explanation is that they are deliberately timed to stop movement.

In my opinion, Atlanta's traffic problems are by design. They are on purpose. Someone's sick way of trying to make it harder so people try to find another way. Traffic signals are timed with such precision so as to keep roads crawling and create gridlock. Highway lanes are reduced as two highways merge and in spots where more vehicles enter the road. Tractor-trailers are literally everywhere, even on small neighborhood roads, and account for a huge percentage of vehicular traffic on 285.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdbass View Post
Trust me I love using Marta from Edgewood to my job in the Perimeter. I don't have to deal with being stuck in over and hour of traffic and wear and tear on my car. I also save money with Marta over driving too so that is an added benefit. I know most people don't have this option but I made sure to buy a house near a Marta Station so it will help alleviate my traffic woes as the City of Atlanta gets denser and denser.
You also managed to get, or purposely chased, a job on a MARTA rail line.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:18 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,857,747 times
Quote:
Highway lanes are reduced as two highways merge and in spots where more vehicles enter the road. Tractor-trailers are literally everywhere, even on small neighborhood roads, and account for a huge percentage of vehicular traffic on 285.
That's kind of the point of 285
Attached Thumbnails
Intown traffic getting worse-capture.jpg  

Old 08-10-2018, 06:35 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,118,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Atlanta desperately needs rail based mass transit:
_ _ commuter links via existing rights of way (add more parallel tracks to bypass freight)
_ _ expand the subway / MARTA
_ _ elevated monorail service
_ _ streetcar at grade, esp. on the Beltline.

But with all the corruption and back door dealings, not likely to happen in the next 25 years.
More like lack of $$$$$.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:03 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,701,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
More like lack of $$$$$.
There's *ALWAYS* money to be found if someone really wants something done.

As the other person said, it's really the lack of will power.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:35 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,962,357 times
Some of yall have GOT to be exaggerating in this thread. Maybe I'm just lucky, but getting around intown (the core at least) has been no where near that bad for me outside of rush hour.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:12 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
That's kind of the point of 285
Indeed. Like I said: "by design". 285 is a parking lot oftentimes specifically because of the sheer amount of truck traffic, which moves slower than car traffic. But because 285 is a major commuting route as well, commuters and a huge amount of trucks get squished into the same place.

I'll say it again: Atlanta's traffic issues are largely by design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
There's *ALWAYS* money to be found if someone really wants something done.

As the other person said, it's really the lack of will power.
Lack of willpower or lack of knowledge. Different roads have different responsible agencies. There is no central source. And often, there is no simple way to report something. GDOT tell you how to report a broken traffic signal, but what if you just want to report one that you think is timed stupidly? Turns out you can use the broken signal method, but that's not made clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
Some of yall have GOT to be exaggerating in this thread. Maybe I'm just lucky, but getting around intown (the core at least) has been no where near that bad for me outside of rush hour.
Yeah, I don't find intown bad at all outside of the height of rush hour. And even then, it's usually what I would expect. The connector through midtown/downtown is the worst part of it due to its poor design, but outside of that, it's really not bad.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:12 PM

4 posts, read 2,902 times
Atlanta is all about growth above all else, including quality of life. That's why you see 6 lane highways have single exit ramps onto other 6 lane highways. Why you see sidewalks just stop, and roads with bad signage and who knows what else.

This is not an expensive place to live - at least it never was in the past - ever. There are much better places to live but you have to pay for them. As Atlanta becomes more expensive it will be interesting to see if people will pay a premium for the low quality place this is, with horrible traffic, poor schools high crime and bad infrastructure and design.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta