U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 02:19 PM

313 posts, read 1,037,033 times

Advertisements

I am just curious as to which burb would be preferrable for family living? As I have mentioned before...I am quite familiar with both areas and have a couple of favorite neighborhoods in each.

Convenience-wise, I think Alpharetta, especially the area between windward parkway and maybe Old Milton or Webb Bridge, but basically the area that is close to the Windward office park and the Big Creek greenway. It is also close to alot of shopping, ie Costco, Walmart and Target, plus restaurants, shopping and the like. I also know that Alpharetta probably has a bit of hautiness because of its affluent population. Maybe a snoot factor?? I have only worked in Alpharetta, not lived. I know the schools are decent too.

On the other hand, I think more down to earth people would be in Suwanee because it is a more family friendly community less concerned with keeping up. However Suwanee sports quite a few golf communities....Laurel springs, Big bear, Olde Atlanta club, St marlo, etc...seems like the real estate dollar goes alittle further there. We have alot of friends that have settled in suwanee. I would be more likely to choose the forsyth side where Laurel Springs is....my cousin used to live there and I felt it was a nice community. I also like the John's Creek area too for shopping and convenience.

Just taking a balanced picture....which one do you think is a better choice? Based on schools, sense of community, traffic congestion, convenience to shopping and restaurants, ease of recreational pursuits (ie running trails and parks) and overall friendiless of people. Since the workplace would be in the windward area...either place would be ok from a commute standpoint.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 03:07 PM

85 posts, read 280,148 times
I'm 32 and I've lived in GA all my life. Here is my suggestion. First and foremost, traffic for both Suwanee and Alpharetta are horrible. If I had to choose one based on a better commute it would be Suwanee. I dread getting on GA400! Personally, I think Alpharetta is more "singles" oriented and Suwanee is more "family" oriented. I say this because most of the singles I meet seem to think that Alpharetta is the place to go. Most of the married people with children opt for places like Suwanee or Buford. To me the people out in Suwanee seem a lot nicer than those in Alpharetta. I usually detect a certain snobbishness from people who live in Alpharetta due to the fact that a lot of wealthy people tend to live out there, but that's just my perception. Hope that helps!

Last edited by Georgiapeach32; 04-01-2008 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: add

Old 04-01-2008, 04:00 PM

That's interesting, I never wouldve thought that Alpharetta was a singles place. I guess when you think of all the business parks in the area and maybe singles are having to relocate near their jobs. I guess that makes sense. I could see maybe Dunwoody-Roswell because they are closer in, but I wouldnt have thought Alpharetta for a singles place.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:37 PM

1,459 posts, read 4,460,685 times
If you are looking at Suwanee, the parks and running trails are on the Gwinnett side of the Suwanee zip code (the part that actually is the city of Suwanee), such as the Suwanee Creek greenway, George Pierce Park, Suwanee Creek Park, Town Center Park, Playtown Suwanee, and the new nature park on Suwanee Dam Rd. (not sure if it has a name yet). The new Ivy Creek Greenway will also be on that side, exiting from George Pierce Park to go to the Gwinnett Environmental Center. It's funny, because I always think of Laurel Springs and those other areas of unincorporated Forsyth as being a part of Johns Creek (which starts just on the other side of McGinnis Ferry) and don't really think of that as "Suwanee," although obviously it has the 30024 zip code - it just seems like a different world from the other side of the river, i.e. the actual city of Suwanee.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:10 PM

It true....there does seem to be difference from the 2 areas. I think most of our friends live on the gwinnet side of Suwanee. I think suwanee probably does try to nurture a sense of community by having alot park and rec activities for the people. A friend of mine told me one of the community parks there in Suwanee featured music/bands in the park where folks could come and bring picnic and beverages and kids and enjoy the entertainment.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:32 PM

1,459 posts, read 4,460,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnergrl View Post
It true....there does seem to be difference from the 2 areas. I think most of our friends live on the gwinnet side of Suwanee. I think suwanee probably does try to nurture a sense of community by having alot park and rec activities for the people. A friend of mine told me one of the community parks there in Suwanee featured music/bands in the park where folks could come and bring picnic and beverages and kids and enjoy the entertainment.
Yes, Town Center Park has a large stage where they have a summer concert series, occasionally with some relatively big names (we say the group America there a couple of years ago). The park is surrounded by shops, restaurants, dessert places, and condo units as part of the live-work-play Town Center community. To me, the Gwinnett side feels more family friendly, although, I am biased because that is where I live. My impression, which may not be correct, is that south Forsyth 30024 is a little more snobby. A friend of mine who lives over there in Aberdeen said that his son was told by someone from Laurel Springs that Aberdeen is "the ghetto" because the houses are only in the $300,000 range!

Old 04-01-2008, 07:54 PM

Oh Good Lord...unbelieveable isnt it??

It's everywhere isnt it? It's funny, we live in Oak park, CA and the neighborhood in which we were able to barely buy at home at the height of the market is 1600 sq ft 3/2 for nearly 800...and all these homes are the 70's brady bunch tract homes....there are some newer million dollar homes up the road...so all the brady bunch houses are the called the ghetto by the HS kids. 800,000....the ghetto.

It doesnt surprise me with the snob factor...it is everywhere. In atlanta, I always felt the neighborhoods to be alittle cliquey out in the burbs. What is your take on the Rivermoore neighborhood...is it on the Suwanne side? It was appealing to me because it had trails and park space.

Last edited by runnergrl; 04-01-2008 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: to add info

Old 04-02-2008, 06:53 AM

273 posts, read 1,653,147 times
Rivermoore is quite a nice subdivision. Definitely on the Suwanee side, in Gwinnett.

As far as convenience goes, all the things you mentioned (Costco, Walmart, Target) are within a 10-15 min drive of Suwanee. Close enough, but not so close that the traffic is right outside your subdivision. Also, there are several grocery stores and restaurants right in Suwanee. It's a very nice, pleasant area.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:38 PM

2 posts, read 5,316 times
This info has been very helpful to me also! We are relocating to Atlanta from VA and have been torn between Alpharetta and Suwanee also. We have 3 boys and want a nice enviroment for schools that will be less stressful for our kids.

From what I've read, is it true Alpharetta is a litlle more snobby and exclusive? We are looking to spend around 500 for our home so we want good value and GREAT schools that will be welcoming for our kids.

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated!

Old 04-03-2008, 02:35 PM

210 posts, read 683,789 times
I wouldn't term any specific town as "snobby". That's such a big generalization. I think you have to go with the area that feels right to you, and that will feel different to all of us. You know what you like about these areas, you'll just need to drive around, go into stores, schools, and see which fits you.

It depends a lot on how you are used to living right now. When you look at Alpharetta and John's Creek, you may see nice store fronts, nicely kept communities, nice looking schools with good scores and you may be drawn to that or you may be looking for more value for your money and seek outside of Alpharetta.

When looking at Alpharetta, which has a wonderful reputation, you have to realize that Alpharetta has split. Part of Alpharetta has become John's Creek and part has become Milton. Milton is especially affluent, close driving distance to Windward. Alpharetta has the downtown and business park, singles, and families. Milton has the horse country, acre size lots, great golf course communities, tons of children, superb schools, and the best part is hardly any traffic when you drive around inside the town of Milton, it's like a world away from hecticness.

Regardless, you'll have to learn the area and see what is comfortable to you, but you have to remember what they always say, there is a reason that certain areas are priced higher than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta