U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 09:36 AM

23,125 posts, read 36,362,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabethrn View Post
Does anyone have information on how well City of Decatur school system serves kids who are, let's say, NOT so gifted? We are looking at moving into this area from Snellville (tired of the horrible commute to and from Emory). My ADHD son has been well-served by the Gwinnett Co. school system. I have read plenty on how well high achievers are served by the City of Decatur system, but not too much on how well they handle kids who struggle. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
I would suggest breaking this out as a separate topic; you'll likely get more response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 02:58 PM

39 posts, read 131,190 times
Lastminutemom: If the OP is going to send their now-pre-k child to high school during their post-doc, it will be the longest post-doc in history. If you feel you need to explore high school possibilities for them, please go ahead; I just hope you will be clear about which schools you are describing.

And perhaps you have a link to a newspaper article that could substantiate your claims about programs supposedly being eliminated?

Old 04-06-2008, 04:18 PM

3,972 posts, read 11,275,277 times
To some extent DeKalb doesn't determine what programs each school has, they simply allocate points that are spent on teachers, administrators, paras, etc and the decisions are made locally. No articles yet, the budget process is just beginning. There will be budget hearings in May but I am often one of only a handful of parents/citizens who attend. Generally speaking, word gets out when the community finds out through their principal.

If is possible that the projected enrollment at Fernbank, for example, allows for a reduction in classroom teachers or paras which protects programs. But it is my understanding from speaking with parents and teachers across the county that schools are really struggling to hold onto specials.

It is the system's intention to fund only the positions funded by the state next year.

You can go to the system website and find that there are almost no job openings for next year at the elementary level. This is what I noticed and
began asking questions.

If it were me, I would look at the schools when they were open and I would consider some Atlanta and Decatur schools in my survey.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:59 PM

60 posts, read 136,400 times
OK, I went and checked out the Fernbank and Oakhurst areas at night to check for safety. Both areas were incredibly quiet, and I didn't see anyone that looked up to no good. I also discovered that there is a very small "downtown" nightlife in the Oakhurst area. Looked like a bar or two and a pizza joint.

We cruised around the Oakhurst area and quickly discovered that we cannot afford to buy a house in this area. But we did see a fair amount of townhouses and condos for sale or rent. Most didn't have prices, but I wrote down addresses and realtors and am going to follow up on pricing. Is there someplace to find the exact cutoffs for districting to Oakhurst elementary?

Also, Oakhurst elementary (on Mead) is pretty close to the RR tracks. I noticed that as you follow the tracks along College Ave, the area stays nice until after Agnes Scott. Is this a cutoff for the district? It is remarkable how different two neighborhoods a block apart can look.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:43 PM

1,320 posts, read 3,877,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdadda View Post
Is there someplace to find the exact cutoffs for districting to Oakhurst elementary?
You can search by street on the Decatur schools web site:

http://www.decatur-city.k12.ga.us/addressSearch.php

Old 04-06-2008, 11:24 PM

60 posts, read 136,400 times
Don't know how I missed that. Thanks a lot!

Old 04-07-2008, 07:59 AM

401 posts, read 1,592,898 times
Here is a map too if that is helpful....

City Schools of Decatur

Agnes Scott (technically S. McDonough Road) serves as a portion of the eastern boundary of Oakhurst Elementary's zone - at least until you get to Hill Street... then the boundary moves west a couple of blocks.

BTW, the stuff east of Agnes Scott that is still in City of Decatur is actually very nice. The area west of Agnes Scott that is south of College is the Winnona Park neighborhood - it is a very nice neighborhood, but is as expensive or even more expensive than Oakhurst. However the link I sent you earlier to a house for rent on Criag's List was in Winnona Park. The elementary school over there (Winnona Park Elementary) is also excellent.

Honestly, as long as you are in City of Decatur, you will be fine as far as schools and in a safe neighborhood. I wouldn't stress too much about which specific neighborhood you are in. The only exception is perhaps portions of the very southernmost border of Decatur that are very close to Candler and Memorial (Chevelle Lane area). However, I know several families that live in that area and it is changing rapidly.

You might want to check out some of the condos/apts along Avery road and also the ones that are near Glenlake Park (Decatur Square Condos???). The former are zoned to Oakhurst, have a lot of families and adjoin Avery Park. The latter are zoned to Clairemont and are right next to a Glenlake Park - I would guess that they have lots of families too. They are not new construction - but they aren't terrible either and are in very safe areas.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:48 AM

11 posts, read 29,977 times
Hi folks, I am the OP's wife. Thanks for all your responses. I've located several townhouses for sale in the Oakhurst Elem. zone that are within or close to our price range - 2 in Decatur Townhomes and 1 in The Enclave (both on Adair). If you know anything about these communities or this area in general, please post your experience or info. If I remember correctly, Adair runs north/south off of Howard, pretty close to Trinity. I believe we could walk to Oakhurst Elem. from here.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:43 AM

401 posts, read 1,592,898 times
Hi Reynolda! The Adair St. area is great for families and very safe. There are a lot of kids your daughter's age around there. Some are in the townhouses you mention and others are in the adjacent subdivision (relatively new houses called Rosewalk) or in Lenox Park (Melrose Dr., Drexel Rd., etc.) If you hang out at Adair Park or at what they call "The Post Office Park" - the one diagonally across from the post office - you will meet lots of fellow parents. Also, if you do end up staying home some, you will meet lots of moms/dads on the playground at Oakhurst School (myself included on days I don't work). A bunch of us hang out there and let our kids play after school if it's not too hot.

Re the two condo developments you are considering... I would just pick the one with the floorplan you like best. One thing to consider though is that Decatur Townhomes has a pool and I don't believe that the Enclave does. Now, there are three public pools in Decatur so you'd have the opportunity to swim - but it may be nice to have one right there since you will have a baby soon.

Yes, you can walk to Oakhurst easily from there - there are crossing guards to help you get across Howard and College. When you meet some folks you can probably work out a walk share arrangement with another family or two - might make life easier when you have a newborn!

Good luck!

Old 04-09-2008, 12:36 PM

23,125 posts, read 36,362,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolda View Post
Hi folks, I am the OP's wife. Thanks for all your responses. I've located several townhouses for sale in the Oakhurst Elem. zone that are within or close to our price range - 2 in Decatur Townhomes and 1 in The Enclave (both on Adair). If you know anything about these communities or this area in general, please post your experience or info. If I remember correctly, Adair runs north/south off of Howard, pretty close to Trinity. I believe we could walk to Oakhurst Elem. from here.
Hi Reynolda,

Funny, some time ago I posted on a thread that my realtor (who knows Decatur very well) told me that she thought the Decatur Townhomes were the best value in the city...large, safe, with recently updated exteriors, and great access to downtown. They also abut a nice park and there is a very popular playground around the corner at Nelson Ferry Rd and Northern Ave.
You should also know about Dancing Goats Coffee Bar, just down from the playground...it seems to have become an unofficial community center in the AM for moms with newborns and toddlers (probably on the way to the playground).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or