U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Couple relocating from Texas to Atlanta Georgia, seeking; home for less than 200k large front and back yard, family friendly neighborhood, low cost of living

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 09:22 PM

7 posts, read 72,390 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have debated for quite some time. Ultimately, we have decided to relocate to Georgia. We constantly here that Atlanta is the place to be for young families, especially young African Americans. Basically, we want to know if it's family friendly. We plan on purchasing a home 200k or less with a huge front and back yard. Does such a thing exist in Atlanta? We are from Texas and it's very typical to see a huge front yard with a country porch and backyard to max. Also, our cost of living is a bit less I think. I'm not sure what to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 09:40 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,745,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by designerjunkie View Post
My husband and I have debated for quite some time. Ultimately, we have decided to relocate to Georgia. We constantly here that Atlanta is the place to be for young families, especially young African Americans.
I believe if you search around you'll find that this is mostly hype - Atlanta as the "Black Utopia". You'll find numerous comments from other black professionals or families who will come here and go, "um, this is it? What was all the hype about?", while some may like it.

There are a variety of articles that touch upon this subject. While Atlanta is definately high on the list for blacks who wish to start a business, you'll be surprised at some of the other cities that are listed as "very good" for black families regarding jobs in general as well as a higher quality of life overall (without our traffic and crime):

Article: blackenterprise.com

Same article, different publication: Black Enterprise Releases 2007 List Of Best Cities For Blacks | Hip-Hop Crunch

One interesting perspective: For Blacks at Least, Atlanta Is Still Poor - New York Times

Quote:
Basically, we want to know if it's family friendly. We plan on purchasing a home 200k or less with a huge front and back yard. Does such a thing exist in Atlanta? We are from Texas and it's very typical to see a huge front yard with a country porch and backyard to max. Also, our cost of living is a bit less I think. I'm not sure what to do?
Atlanta is a huge area - think "L.A. sprawl" type of city. So you have varied suburbs to choose from. The inner city CAN be family-friendly, but you'll be extremely hard pressed to find a home for $200k intown (not even thinking about a yard), unless you buy a fixer upper in an "up and coming" (translation="not so great yet") neighborhood. You might be able to get a 2BR condo in that price range though if you find an older one that's not in a high rise.

In the burbs.... the FAR burbs (20+ miles outside the city), you MIGHT be able to find an older home with a large lot (around 1 acre) in the $200k range in today's market. Atlanta USED to be one of the cheapest large cities in the U.S., and compared to some it still is reasonable, but since the 1996 Olympics, prices in some segments have risen quite a bit so that gap isn't nearly as great as it used to be -especially in real estate. There will always be that occasional fluke that's a great deal that comes up, but you and/or your realtor will have to be on top to catch them when they do.

Atlanta offers tons of jobs in general. There are opportunities for Blacks who want to start a business, and if you shop it's a retail lovers paradise. The location is also decent as you're not far from the mountain areas, and 4.5 hours from the beach. But with that you also have a high poverty rate (in the city), high crime, traffic second to L.A., a so-so overall public school system at best, and a not so great public transit system once you leave the intown areas. It's up to you as to whether the pluses make it a "good" choice for you or not compared to the bad points, as there are per the articles above, other options.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:15 PM

42 posts, read 186,113 times
Default Not Downtown or Midtown - maybe Roswell or Alpharetta?

We wanted to live in Atlanta proper, but with a child we quickly figured out that the neighborhoods we could afford had dodgy parks, crappy schools or both. Instead, we found something we could afford in Alpharetta - beautiful parks, nice neighborhoods, and definitely growing more and more diverse every day - and then ended up putting our kid in private school anyway!

Alpharetta is pretty nice because it's not hard to get to Atlanta when you want a night on the town, and it's also not impossible to find a trustworthy high school kid to babysit for you. The schools are great, the parks are beautiful, it's near the Chattahoochie so you have the full list of river activities - in short, it's a great compromise. You can definutely find a home at that pricepoint in Alpharetta (or Johns Creek, which is a small incorporation that they carved out of the intersection of other towns. We're in a community called "Rivermont" - and there are nice homes here for $200K. The neighborhood itself is a friendly rainbow.

Good luck!

Quote:
My husband and I have debated for quite some time. Ultimately, we have decided to relocate to Georgia. We constantly here that Atlanta is the place to be for young families, especially young African Americans. Basically, we want to know if it's family friendly. We plan on purchasing a home 200k or less with a huge front and back yard. Does such a thing exist in Atlanta? We are from Texas and it's very typical to see a huge front yard with a country porch and backyard to max. Also, our cost of living is a bit less I think. I'm not sure what to do?

Old 04-06-2008, 11:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,764 times
My family and I moved to Georgia on January 31st, we can here thinking we had a place to live to find out the upscale folks did not deliver on what they said they would do, in the end we have been living in Hotels, Marriott, and Comfort Suite hotels since that time, we have run out of money and only God knows how this is going to play out, I can tell you that we have resided in Alpharetta and this is where we are going to purchase our home once our financing is finished, our goal now is to stay off the streets, which is very difficult at this time we have depended on friends to help us and now we are having to relocate again to another hotel that is less expensive. yet I can tell you alpharetta, roswell is very, very nice and upscale. God bless you on your move

Old 04-09-2008, 05:52 PM

124 posts, read 242,300 times
RUN! DON'T DO IT!!! But if you do, get ready! There are no safe places in the Atlanta metro area. You just have to really talk to your children and keep a close watch out. Even in Alpharetta. I lived there for three years. There is what I like to call quiet racism. I moved a little farther out. Then my eyes grew tired of all the rebel flags! I've lived in Atlanta for a very long time. Before I had children and after. It has become a little much. I'm moving. I wish you well. Stay away from anything south of Atlanta!

Old 04-09-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnuro View Post
RUN! DON'T DO IT!!! But if you do, get ready! There are no safe places in the Atlanta metro area. You just have to really talk to your children and keep a close watch out. Even in Alpharetta. I lived there for three years. There is what I like to call quiet racism.
Alpharetta is one of the nicer (and more expensive) suburbs in Atlanta. While the white-to-black ratio is higher than some other suburbs, there are plenty of middle to upper-middle income black families in that area. If by "racism" you mean that the locals there don't appreciate kids who drive around playing Rap at 2am as loud as possible, or roaming the streets in pants down to their ankles, then you are right - they don't tolerate that kind of stuff in many of the areas up there from kids of any color. It's Alpharetta - not Stone Mountain.

If someone can afford it and can deal with the traffic on Georgia 400 every day (a stretch) I'd recommend Alpharetta to many people.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:12 PM

9 posts, read 39,559 times
I am also considering relocating to Georgia...don't know much about it yet, but wife and I have started looking into Gwinnett county, also Athens, but we're still fairly open to any place that has good amounts of safe neighborhoods, good schools, and not too bad of a commute to Atlanta, assuming that we would have to work there. Actually we would prefer to live AND work someplace outside of, but relatively near Atlanta.

I don't know how to put this lightly...Please don't try to scare me away from places with crime info, that won't really work unless you're talking specifically about certain neighborhoods or a part of a city I should stay away from. I don't think cities are in and of themselves fully bad, even my own...By and large, I tend to think most cities have good areas, some more than others of course.

This is kind of off topic, but what about Mississippi & northern FL, if any of you know those areas?

Sorry, designerjunkie, maybe I should start my own thread, huh? I have seen a lot of into as far as huge nice houses + property in & around Atlanta...but those probably seem more surprisingly awesome to me because I'm from Milwaukee WI, where I have yet to see a decent 4+ br house in a good area that would be in our price range within the next 5 years. But don't get me started on Milwaukee. I'm getting real sick of it.

Thanks everyone.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByetoWI? View Post
This is kind of off topic, but what about Mississippi & northern FL, if any of you know those areas?

Sorry, designerjunkie, maybe I should start my own thread, huh?
Generally yes, it's best to start your own thread/question rather than step in on an existing thread so you'll get more answers (and not step on the toes of the original poster getting the info they request).

Old 04-12-2008, 01:25 AM

9,086 posts, read 13,640,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnuro View Post
RUN! DON'T DO IT!!! But if you do, get ready! There are no safe places in the Atlanta metro area. You just have to really talk to your children and keep a close watch out. Even in Alpharetta. I lived there for three years. There is what I like to call quiet racism. I moved a little farther out. Then my eyes grew tired of all the rebel flags! I've lived in Atlanta for a very long time. Before I had children and after. It has become a little much. I'm moving. I wish you well. Stay away from anything south of Atlanta!
I am just curious to know of what utopia you plan on moving to from Atlanta?If you live anywhere in America,quiet racism exist.Alpharetta is mostly full of ex northerners,perhaps this is also a contribitor? As far as your statement tell me when was the last time you ever heard or visited South of Atlanta?Henry,Fayette,South Fulton counties are all prospering counties with less traffic,decent schools and less crime.Fairburn,Union City,Hapeville.Nice affordable cities.They are coming from Texas!!I have lived in Texas and i can tell you Atlanta is a huge improvement except in the area of cost of living.Any state that gave us Bush after he took that state no where is not my idea of anyplace i wanna be.

Old 04-12-2008, 04:27 AM

9,086 posts, read 13,640,909 times
Default 1988!?20 years ago?Look at your dated source !!(new York Times)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I believe if you search around you'll find that this is mostly hype - Atlanta as the "Black Utopia". You'll find numerous comments from other black professionals or families who will come here and go, "um, this is it? What was all the hype about?", while some may like it.

There are a variety of articles that touch upon this subject. While Atlanta is definately high on the list for blacks who wish to start a business, you'll be surprised at some of the other cities that are listed as "very good" for black families regarding jobs in general as well as a higher quality of life overall (without our traffic and crime):

Article: blackenterprise.com

Same article, different publication: Black Enterprise Releases 2007 List Of Best Cities For Blacks | Hip-Hop Crunch

One interesting perspective: For Blacks at Least, Atlanta Is Still Poor - New York Times

Atlanta is a huge area - think "L.A. sprawl" type of city. So you have varied suburbs to choose from. The inner city CAN be family-friendly, but you'll be extremely hard pressed to find a home for $200k intown (not even thinking about a yard), unless you buy a fixer upper in an "up and coming" (translation="not so great yet") neighborhood. You might be able to get a 2BR condo in that price range though if you find an older one that's not in a high rise.

In the burbs.... the FAR burbs (20+ miles outside the city), you MIGHT be able to find an older home with a large lot (around 1 acre) in the $200k range in today's market. Atlanta USED to be one of the cheapest large cities in the U.S., and compared to some it still is reasonable, but since the 1996 Olympics, prices in some segments have risen quite a bit so that gap isn't nearly as great as it used to be -especially in real estate. There will always be that occasional fluke that's a great deal that comes up, but you and/or your realtor will have to be on top to catch them when they do.

Atlanta offers tons of jobs in general. There are opportunities for Blacks who want to start a business, and if you shop it's a retail lovers paradise. The location is also decent as you're not far from the mountain areas, and 4.5 hours from the beach. But with that you also have a high poverty rate (in the city), high crime, traffic second to L.A., a so-so overall public school system at best, and a not so great public transit system once you leave the intown areas. It's up to you as to whether the pluses make it a "good" choice for you or not compared to the bad points, as there are per the articles above, other options.
That New York times Article was published in Aug 1988.It does not even contain info from the 2000 census!!Before the Olympics?Atlanta does have large pockets of poverty as every southern city does with a substantial afro-american or fast growing immigrant population.However the things that you fail to mention also is that there is a much higher than average black upper middle to wealthy class that only D.C. can claim more.Also Washington D.C. has a above average poverty level among blacks as well.Atlanta and Washington D.C also lead the nation in blacks with college degrees. The Social and Economic Isolation of Urban African Americans - Population Reference Bureau
As you see in the article,this info was from the the 2000 census.If you check current data,most of the negatives have been decreasing a small intervals.I agree that Atlanta has problems,but it gets its reputation on the positives that other cities cannot claim along with their negative numbers.Thats why its called a "black mecca"Truth be told,as long as their is inequality in this whole country there really is no "real black mecca".Those black families and professionals are the ones that come here thinking that this is a different country than America,thats why they are disappointed.None the less, this is my country and id rather be here than any other country or city in the world.Yet still the number of people that come here stay by a long shot and they tell their friends and families to come too.Those in the minority that do leave often lament on wondering why they left to where they are now.Atlanta's negatives are from, people who for whatever reasons (good or bad),just dont like it here,but i submit to you that while the city is not perfect for everyone,i think by looking at just raw statistics,the negatives are in every city and just as prevalent,but Atlanta's positives are almost untouchable.People don't like confidence,they take it for arrogance.Thats how people who hate it because it dares to be more and better than it is.I watch Atlanta become better everyday,sometimes falltering but never stopping.Go ATLANTA GO!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta