Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 03:31 PM

11,784 posts, read 7,995,430 times

Advertisements

Yea I know. I forgot who I was proposing this to.

Next time I propose road infrastructural upgrades I'm going to try to guess which gif I'm going to receive in response and if I guess right maybe I'll get a rep point or something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 06:23 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,856,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Yea I know. I forgot who I was proposing this to.

Next time I propose road infrastructural upgrades I'm going to try to guess which gif I'm going to receive in response and if I guess right maybe I'll get a rep point or something
The high cost of tunneling makes this project impossible, unlike Seattle we have granite bedrock. Thru traffic should not be using the Downtown Connector, and use the Atlanta Bypass (I-285)

Old 06-06-2019, 09:10 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The high cost of tunneling makes this project impossible, unlike Seattle we have granite bedrock. Thru traffic should not be using the Downtown Connector, and use the Atlanta Bypass (I-285)
How deep can you go before you hit granite? Seems like there's a pretty thick layer of red clay.

There's already been a significant amount of tunneling in the Atlanta area. Hasn't a good bit of it gone though rock?

Old 06-06-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
They proposed to extend GA-400 to I-675 underground at one point, albeit it was a very brief proposal, it did seem like it was fundamentally 'possible' - albeit very expensive and extreme opposition - it was considered...so it may be possible.

The Atlanta Bypass is no longer really a Bypass, its an inner-city interstate and in most cases when it comes to thru traffic, its almost always faster to just go through Downtown.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
How deep can you go before you hit granite? Seems like there's a pretty thick layer of red clay.

There's already been a significant amount of tunneling in the Atlanta area. Hasn't a good bit of it gone though rock?
eg: Peachtree Center Station

Old 06-06-2019, 06:38 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,356,608 times
Quote:
285 is hardly a bypass. It runs right through some of the largest business centers in the southeast, and thus feeds them. It is also pretty congested for a good portion of the day, making it not a much better option. In addition, it can add anywhere from 3-10 miles to the trip, depending on route.

Atlanta should have built an actual bypass.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:52 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
285 is hardly a bypass. It runs right through some of the largest business centers in the southeast, and thus feeds them. It is also pretty congested for a good portion of the day, making it not a much better option. In addition, it can add anywhere from 3-10 miles to the trip, depending on route.

I have to agree. We need another loop further out. Maybe two of them.

Can you imagine how this town would blow up if we had that kind of capacity?

Old 06-06-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I have to agree. We need another loop further out. Maybe two of them.

Can you imagine how this town would blow up if we had that kind of capacity?
It would become a second Houston and trust me, you DONT want that to happen.

An outer loop is severely needed however, but one with strict building and zoning policies, tolls, and limited exits, mainly a way to diverge freight traffic from the metro.

I dont know.

Atlanta, especially the northern part of Atlanta was really dealt a bad hand in this arena. If they built more cross connecting freeways in the north, while sorely needed - it would definitely increase development around those nodes even more than what is currently seen and eventually the fears that masses that revolted against the Northern Arc would be realized that development would eventually reach the foothills of the blue ridge area. It would be a massive place but it would also wreck the environment. Problem is, Atlanta is out of 'feasible' room to expand and it's still growing.

This is kind of why I really wished they had built out MARTA rail because I feel its truly Atlanta's last hope at any kind of relief of traffic congestion. It's just not quite as practical in Northern Atlanta to design a highway system like what's seen in DFW. At first hand it looks like it is but it isnt...

Noone specifically moves to an area because a highway is there, but industries move to those locations due to logistical advantages, just like how Toyota moved to DFW because they could be near a freeway and be within feasible reach of employees. If Atlanta did that, and Toyota came, they would not have been the only industry to settle, several more will too...and with jobs attracts people who eventually move within the area thus eventually clogging another route. It does take time but it would happen and eventually that highway becomes obsolete. DFW can easily get away with it because there isnt as much in the form of nature like the blue ridge area making expensive infrastructure very practical for them. Even if those routes clog, they can adjust, build more, or expand transit.. nothing stopping them, but in the metro not only do you have the geographical restrictions but also politicians who turn pale at the thought of MARTA rail entering their territory.

I cannot fault GDOT, they really did try their best given what they were dealt with. (Limited budget, some of the most extreme opposition in the nation) they did have a comprehensive highway system planned in the books but it got shut down. Then any MARTA rail expansion doesn't even get a whiff of a thought... what can they really do?

Old 06-07-2019, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
It would become a second Houston and trust me, you DONT want that to happen.

An outer loop is severely needed however, but one with strict building and zoning policies, tolls, and limited exits, mainly a way to diverge freight traffic from the metro.

I dont know.

Atlanta, especially the northern part of Atlanta was really dealt a bad hand in this arena. If they built more cross connecting freeways in the north, while sorely needed - it would definitely increase development around those nodes even more than what is currently seen and eventually the fears that masses that revolted against the Northern Arc would be realized that development would eventually reach the foothills of the blue ridge area. It would be a massive place but it would also wreck the environment. Problem is, Atlanta is out of 'feasible' room to expand and it's still growing.

This is kind of why I really wished they had built out MARTA rail because I feel its truly Atlanta's last hope at any kind of relief of traffic congestion. It's just not quite as practical in Northern Atlanta to design a highway system like what's seen in DFW. At first hand it looks like it is but it isnt...

Noone specifically moves to an area because a highway is there, but industries move to those locations due to logistical advantages, just like how Toyota moved to DFW because they could be near a freeway and be within feasible reach of employees. If Atlanta did that, and Toyota came, they would not have been the only industry to settle, several more will too...and with jobs attracts people who eventually move within the area thus eventually clogging another route. It does take time but it would happen and eventually that highway becomes obsolete. DFW can easily get away with it because there isnt as much in the form of nature like the blue ridge area making expensive infrastructure very practical for them. Even if those routes clog, they can adjust, build more, or expand transit.. nothing stopping them, but in the metro not only do you have the geographical restrictions but also politicians who turn pale at the thought of MARTA rail entering their territory.

I cannot fault GDOT, they really did try their best given what they were dealt with. (Limited budget, some of the most extreme opposition in the nation) they did have a comprehensive highway system planned in the books but it got shut down. Then any MARTA rail expansion doesn't even get a whiff of a thought... what can they really do?
All this talk our building an outer loop or a western freeway, why not upgrade existing roads (GA 53, US 27, Alt US 27) to super arterial roads. Grade separated interchanges at busy intersections and at-grade crossings at low traffic roads. eg: US 43 in Middle Tennessee.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:31 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,118,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post

When I-285 was completed in 1969, it was an actual bypass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta