Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 12:59 PM
bu2 bu2 started this thread

24,069 posts, read 14,859,997 times

Advertisements

https://www.myajc.com/news/local-gov...fI16On3YTmORO/

"...All of that, of course, is contingent upon Gwinnett voters approving a referendum, which is scheduled for a standalone election in March. Recent polls and surveys have shown a majority of Gwinnettians would support more transit (and paying for it), though advocates have raised concerns about the effect a standalone election could have on turnout."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 01:35 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,047,632 times
But what about all the horrible suburban racists sure to vote down MARTA because they are scared black people are going to ride trains into their neighborhoods??????

Old 09-06-2018, 01:42 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,184,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
But what about all the horrible suburban racists sure to vote down MARTA because they are scared black people are going to ride trains into their neighborhoods??????

They are now a minority in Gwinnett.

Old 09-06-2018, 03:26 PM

98 posts, read 96,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
They are now a minority in Gwinnett.
They moved out to the next ring of counties.

Old 09-06-2018, 03:29 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,448 times
Still amazes me that this referendum will be next March and not this November or November 2020.

https://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/lo...278e19238.html

Old 09-06-2018, 04:24 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,253,200 times
Quote:
Well, what about them? If enough of those types of Gwinnett residents (which there are still a lot of) come out to vote against MARTA in March, the referendum fails and all of this was a big waste of everyone's time.

My guess is the referendum will pass, just barely. But, we will see.

And I think Gwinnett's transit plan is pretty meh. I wish I could tweak it a bit.

Old 09-06-2018, 06:09 PM

I'm just saying, there are still a lot of people who claim the face card when it comes to transit in the suburbs.

I say they're wrong.

The fact of the matter is, nobody really knows because Gwinnett county hasn't been able to vote on MARTA in almost 30 years.

My stance is people who already live in a majority minority county are NOT afraid of black people riding a train into their county.

If I'm wrong, I'll have to eat my hat in March. But I don't think that's going to happen.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:27 PM
bu2 bu2 started this thread

24,069 posts, read 14,859,997 times
Quote:
I'm just saying, there are still a lot of people who claim the face card when it comes to transit in the suburbs.

I say they're wrong.

The fact of the matter is, nobody really knows because Gwinnett county hasn't been able to vote on MARTA in almost 30 years.

My stance is people who already live in a majority minority county are NOT afraid of black people riding a train into their county.

If I'm wrong, I'll have to eat my hat in March. But I don't think that's going to happen.
Sometimes, people just don't want to pay a tax for something they aren't going to use. Like in Houston in the late 70s when the heavily white and white collar northern and western suburbs voted to join Houston's MTA and get park n ride service while the diverse blue collar eastern suburbs voted no.

But in Atlanta, they always throw around the race card whenever anything doesn't go the way city of Atlanta likes it. Bigotry against people who are different is always ugly, even if its against those "backward" people who live OTP.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:33 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Sometimes, people just don't want to pay a tax for something they aren't going to use. Like in Houston in the late 70s when the heavily white and white collar northern and western suburbs voted to join Houston's MTA and get park n ride service while the diverse blue collar eastern suburbs voted no.

But in Atlanta, they always throw around the race card whenever anything doesn't go the way city of Atlanta likes it. Bigotry against people who are different is always ugly, even if its against those "backward" people who live OTP.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:48 PM

Yup.

I never thought the vote against MARTA was about race (not entirely, anyway), but you can't convince some people.

And I can't say for sure, because the last time it was ever on a ballot was several years before I even got here. For many posters on this board, it was before they were even born.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta