U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 08:40 PM

42 posts, read 186,195 times

Advertisements

Between comfortable seats, good gas mileage, and Satellite radio, I actually ENJOY spending time in the car to and from work - especially a drive home, as long as I am able to get home in time for dinner with the family. The drive home allows me to catch up on the day's events, maybe catch a littl "Fresh Air" on NPR, or "All Things Considered" or maybe some music or COmedy on Sirius - in short, it gives me a chance to decompress, and put the work day in my rearview mirror so I can go back to being Dad/Hubby in time for a quality evening with the folks who REALLY matter - my family.

I have also been battling an illness that lately has prevented me from driving at all - so I am CRAVING a little "behind the wheel" time. If my next surgery goes well, don't be surprised to read, after my move, that I've offered to drive Bob to and from work while I look for a job of my own - I need the driving practice!!!

~DG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 11:01 AM

9 posts, read 16,917 times
A question for Bob Kovacs.

During my kid's April school vacation, we drove to FL but on the way, we stayed in Woodstock for one night and spent several hours driving around Canton, Holly Springs, and Cumming, just trying to get a feel for the area. We really liked all three towns and, in fact, the area really looked a lot like where we live now in Western MA, although the trees were in full bloom! With my husband job being in Sandy Springs by this summer, definitely taking the back roads to wherever we end up living is going to be the way to go! We also couldn't believe the amount of subdivisions in the Atlanta area. We have some up here but not as many.

I think that we also drove by the new high school (Creekview) with maybe Creekland Middle across of it? I'm not sure but I do remember seeing one of those new schools. I just wanted to ask you about your comment above, where you mention that you live in Holly Springs and yet the kids in your town are being districted to certain schools. Does this mean that you can't request that your kids go to a certain school? For example, if our house ends up being a mile from Creekland Middle, we can't assume that our kids would go there, but instead could end up at a different middle school? How do the schools decide what child goes where?

TIA!

Old 05-08-2008, 11:24 AM

9,124 posts, read 33,321,167 times
They establish boundaries for each school based on the total number of kids in an area, and whether the school can accomodate that many kids. What happened in our case is that when our development was built, Sequoyah was too crowded to take all of the kids who would occupy the development, so they districted us to Cherokee High. Once Creekview opened, they moved the kids there, since it's closer and it was obviously less crowded since it was brand new. Part of what is making Sequoyah so crowded is some overflow from Woodstock because their schools were crowded- now that there are new schools under construction in Woodstock, that may relieve some of the load at Sequoyah, and maybe by the time my kids are in middle school (5 years from now) we'll end up going there.

So no, there's no guarantee that your kids will go to the closest school to your house (Sequoyah is less than a mile from our house, and Creekview is around 7 miles). You can't decide to send your kids to whatever school you choose unless you apply for an administrative transfer due to discipline issues or something, and even then you'd be responsible for getting your kids to the alternate school (they won't bus you wherever you please).

Old 05-08-2008, 11:51 AM

Thanks for your reply, Bob. It definitely makes sense now.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:44 AM

5 posts, read 11,199 times
Default relocating to holly springs

Being so much further north of atlanta how do folks feel about NJ families moving into Holly Springs? We are relocating from NJ and looking for a nice place to like. Holly Springs looks right up our ally. any feedback is appreciated

Old 05-13-2008, 10:46 AM

9,124 posts, read 33,321,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ave5424 View Post
Being so much further north of atlanta how do folks feel about NJ families moving into Holly Springs? We are relocating from NJ and looking for a nice place to like. Holly Springs looks right up our ally. any feedback is appreciated
We don't like you damn yankees in these here parts.......

That's said with tongue deeply planted in cheek, especially since we moved here from NJ last summer....lol. We've experienced no hostility, no dirty looks, etc.,- in fact, probably 80% of our neighbors are recent transplants from elsewhere, so we're all getting along fine and serving as "surrogate family" to each other.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:08 PM

18 posts, read 65,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtotype View Post
A question for Bob Kovacs.

During my kid's April school vacation, we drove to FL but on the way, we stayed in Woodstock for one night and spent several hours driving around Canton, Holly Springs, and Cumming, just trying to get a feel for the area. We really liked all three towns and, in fact, the area really looked a lot like where we live now in Western MA, although the trees were in full bloom! With my husband job being in Sandy Springs by this summer, definitely taking the back roads to wherever we end up living is going to be the way to go! We also couldn't believe the amount of subdivisions in the Atlanta area. We have some up here but not as many.

I think that we also drove by the new high school (Creekview) with maybe Creekland Middle across of it? I'm not sure but I do remember seeing one of those new schools. I just wanted to ask you about your comment above, where you mention that you live in Holly Springs and yet the kids in your town are being districted to certain schools. Does this mean that you can't request that your kids go to a certain school? For example, if our house ends up being a mile from Creekland Middle, we can't assume that our kids would go there, but instead could end up at a different middle school? How do the schools decide what child goes where?

TIA!
Just curious what town in MA you live in that compares to these towns you mention? I'm about 35 miles West of Boston in Clinton which is right outside of Worcester. We are 7.3 miles w/ over 13K people. We have one Elementary School, one Middle School, and one High School for the Town. We have a little over 2000 children in our schools. We are thinking of relocating to the Atlanta area as we are both originally from the South. I've been looking at Acworth, Kennesaw, Powder Springs, Marietta, Roswell, and Smyrna ( I feel like I'm all over the map) So far Acworth looks like it would suit us best. Looking for 3+BR, 2+ BA with at least a half acre and we need an additional 2 car detached garage (high ceilings) either existing or we will build where allowed. Up to 400K. Just wondering which town you live in so maybe I can "compare". Also, did you visit any of the towns I mentioned?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Old 05-14-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoATL View Post
Just curious what town in MA you live in that compares to these towns you mention? I'm about 35 miles West of Boston in Clinton which is right outside of Worcester. We are 7.3 miles w/ over 13K people. We have one Elementary School, one Middle School, and one High School for the Town. We have a little over 2000 children in our schools. We are thinking of relocating to the Atlanta area as we are both originally from the South. I've been looking at Acworth, Kennesaw, Powder Springs, Marietta, Roswell, and Smyrna ( I feel like I'm all over the map) So far Acworth looks like it would suit us best. Looking for 3+BR, 2+ BA with at least a half acre and we need an additional 2 car detached garage (high ceilings) either existing or we will build where allowed. Up to 400K. Just wondering which town you live in so maybe I can "compare". Also, did you visit any of the towns I mentioned?

Thanks in advance for any input!
I live in Southwick (near Springfield), which has a population of around 9,000 or so, so we're looking for a town near Atlanta with that same small-town feeling. I would say there's between 140-160 kids in each grade level in all three of our schools here in Southwick.

When we were in the Atlanta area last month, we only had one day to drive around and check out a few towns, so we focused our search in Canton, Cumming, a little bit of Holly Springs, and Woodstock. Hopefully, once my DH has started working in Sandy Springs at some point this summer, then he'll have more time to check out the area.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:21 AM

18 posts, read 65,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtotype View Post
I live in Southwick (near Springfield), which has a population of around 9,000 or so, so we're looking for a town near Atlanta with that same small-town feeling. I would say there's between 140-160 kids in each grade level in all three of our schools here in Southwick.

When we were in the Atlanta area last month, we only had one day to drive around and check out a few towns, so we focused our search in Canton, Cumming, a little bit of Holly Springs, and Woodstock. Hopefully, once my DH has started working in Sandy Springs at some point this summer, then he'll have more time to check out the area.

Thanks! And Good Luck in your search...

Old 05-15-2008, 02:45 PM

42 posts, read 186,195 times
Wink Refugees from NJ headed for Holly Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ave5424 View Post
Just bring Taylor's Pork Roll with you when you come down. It's hard to find here. I can't tell you the last time I had a pork roll, egg and cheese sandwich, it's been that long. Barbecue this, barbecue that, blah, blah, blah. Gimme a pork roll, egg and cheese sandwich over barbecue any day of the week, and I'm one happy "Eye-talian".

Now all I gotta do is convince Comcast to carry the YES Network...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or