U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 06:02 PM

42 posts, read 186,095 times

Advertisements

Any Canton-area folks with firsthand or reliable secondhand knowledge of Holly Springs Elementary? My little guy will be headed there this September, and from what I've been able to discover it seems like a nice school, but if anyone out there is a parent with a kid there, or an educator at that school, I'd appreciate your commentary. Thanks folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 04:20 AM

9,124 posts, read 33,295,188 times
Our older daughter is in 1st grade there, and our younger daughter will be starting kindergarten in August. We've got nothing but good things to say about the school- the class sizes are under 20, her teacher is excellent, the kids are well-behaved, and the school seems very well organized and well run. They get PE twice a week, art once, and music twice, as well as library time and computer lab (and they have computers in the classrooms as well). Many of the staff members live close by (something that we didn't see often in NJ, as most teachers couldn't afford to live where they taught), and we run into them around town- the principal's son plays on my younger daughter's soccer team.

The curriculum is comparable to or better than what we left in NJ, and they don't seem so concerned with "teaching the test" like many other districts.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:56 AM

9 posts, read 16,901 times
I had posted recently that my husband's job might be relocating him to Sandy Springs either this spring or summer, so we've decided to drive from Western MA to Georgia over our kids April spring break. We're planning to stay a couple of nights in Woodstock and check out that town, and also Canton, and Holly Springs. I do have one child who will be in elementary school, but I also have older kids, so if someone lives in Holly Springs, what are their school choices because in my research, there is more than one high school both in Canton and Woodstock.

Also, my 2nd question is roughly how long of a commute is it from any of the towns that I mentioned above to Sandy Springs? My husband would leave around 6:30 am and probably cut out of work around 3:30-4-ish.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:05 AM

There are several high schools in Cherokee County, including a new one (Creekview) that's been open for a year or two. They're still working on balancing the student loads between the schools, so currently, our kids are districted to Creekland Middle and Creekview High, even though Rusk Middle and Sequoyah High are less than a mile from our house. Of course, in the five years before my daughter will go to middle school, they may move the boundaries back, as there's another new middle school under construction in Woodstock (opening for the 2009 school year, I believe), as well as a large addition to Cherokee High.

All of the high schools in Cherokee County rank well, so I wouldn't be too worried about which one your kids end up going to.

The commute to Sandy Springs at those times will be pretty easy, but probably still around 35-45 minutes (depending on where he's starting from and ending at) since it's basically a bunch of backroads. He could consider taking 575 to 75 and going across 120 or down to 285, but it won't save any time, and is more subject to traffic if there's an accident or bad weather.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:42 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,178,613 times
I work in Sandy Springs and live in unincorporated NE Cobb. The guy who sits in the adjacent cube to me lives in Woodstock. He commutes along 92 and down Mabry Road to Shallowford, then Johnson Ferry, which he says is much better than taking 575 to 75.

Now, I live in a subdivision off Mabry Rd, so I'm right on this commuting route. If leaving at 6:30 from my place, the commute from my place to Sandy Springs is about 20-25 minutes. But you'd have to add on another 15 minutes, maybe, to get to Woodstock? If leaving from my place at 7:30, the commute to Sandy Springs is more like 45-50 minutes.

So I'd say Bob's commuting estimates are possibly a tad on the low side - I'd favor the upper end of his range (45 minutes).

I'm inclined to pose a question that gets put over and over on this board, by established residents to those considering moving: Have you considered looking for housing CLOSER to where you (or spouse) will be working? The metro Atlanta traffic is really, really awful. It will hugely impact your quality of life.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post

I'm inclined to pose a question that gets put over and over on this board, by established residents to those considering moving: Have you considered looking for housing CLOSER to where you (or spouse) will be working? The metro Atlanta traffic is really, really awful. It will hugely impact your quality of life.
We sure did- but we didn't enjoy the thought of spending $100-200k more that what we spent, and still ending up with less house and less property. Considering that my morning commute takes place prior to anyone else in my house even waking up, and that I'm still home before dinner 95% of the time and able to get to my daughter's soccer practice prior to it starting, I'm not impacting my quality of life at all.

When you look at a 1-hour commute by itself, it sound like a lot- but when you consider that probably 90% of people have at least a 30-minute commute anyway, we're really only talking about a 30-minute differential. 30 minutes a day is well worth it to me to have what we're able to have by being a little further out of town.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:40 AM

Sorry, Bob, I wasn't meaning to pose my question to YOU - you're obviously very content with your choices - but to luvtotype.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Sorry, Bob, I wasn't meaning to pose my question to YOU - you're obviously very content with your choices - but to luvtotype.
No prob. Just wanted to make the point that it's not a "quality of life" issue in all cases. Especially when you come from someplace like NJ, where a 1.5-2 hour commute is commonplace.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:01 AM

9 posts, read 16,901 times
We're definitely the kind of people who like living in the country and not the city. Right now, we live in a town that has almost 10,000 people and the high school has a little over 600 kids, so our biggest concern is how well our two oldest kids will adjust to these high schools with over 1,000 kids. I'm sure they'll do fine, but I just worry about that. Right now, our kids are in class sizes of 24-25 kids. These high schools that have over 1,000 or 1,500 kids, how big are the classes? Is it more of a lecture hall type of atmosphere?

As far as commuting, my husband is used to doing 45-60 min. commutes, sometimes a bit longer, and will continue to do that so we can live in a country-ish type of town. Right now, we're sort of looking at towns with roughly 20,000 residents or less, and four bedroom houses under $200,000 but that have at least 1/2 an acre, although more would be nice, but you can't have everything!

I really appreciate everyone's input on this forum. Everyone has certainly given us a lot of information to think about. Just the thought of moving to another part of the country is very scary, although somewhat exciting, so the more information we have beforehand, the better off we'll be.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtotype View Post
Right now, our kids are in class sizes of 24-25 kids. These high schools that have over 1,000 or 1,500 kids, how big are the classes? Is it more of a lecture hall type of atmosphere?
Class size in public schools is determined by state regulations, not by the size of the school. Bigger schools have more classes, not larger classes. For class sizes permitted by the GA Dept of Education, see here: http://public.doe.k12.ga.us/_documents/doe/legalservices/160-5-1-.08.pdf (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or