Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 02:30 PM

103 posts, read 327,606 times

Advertisements

Ok people,

I was offered the job at Bank of America in Kennesaw, now I am looking for a place to live close to there.

As some of you I live in LoveJoy, Clayton Cty and I want to move especailly now because of the school issue and the job. It is an hour and about 50 miles from here to the company, so that is 100 miles going and coming. I was thinking of moving to Kennesaw itself, but some people where telling me that I should ot because of the traffic. I know that they have North Cobb High there and that is a good high school and I have my son to think about.

Now should I consider Kennesaw or should I look to Marietta or Smyrna. Also who works for Bank of America here and can tell me more about them that what I researched.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 02:33 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
My sister lived in Kennesaw and sent her sons to Harrison High...they had a very good experience there. Acworth is another good option for you.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:07 PM

563 posts, read 2,773,948 times
Look at areas that feed into Harrison HS or Kennesaw Mountain HS. Oh, remember there's also the new high school opening up there...Allatoona HS.

Any of those areas should be fine.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:27 PM

129 posts, read 659,528 times
we moved to kennesaw from Henry county last summer and LOVE it!!! I would absolutely look in the kennesaw/acworth area if you are going to be working in Kennesaw...

Old 03-14-2008, 04:34 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,526,534 times
Default Your move

I just now joined this group....never did this before. Acworth is a growing city. We just moved here from Marietta. Kennesaw and Acworth are right next to each other. Don't know what you are looking for in the way of housing, but there is a variety...new townhomes are going up on Cobb Parkway and another development on Glade and 92. Lots of homes further up off of Cobb (new) but it is such a buyers market right now that you will find many resales. By the way my daughter-in-law works for BofA.

Last edited by Jude1948; 03-14-2008 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: wrong word

Old 03-14-2008, 06:27 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,875 times
Definately move to the NW metro if you're going to work in Kenessaw.

What are you looking for -- single family, condo, townhome? and what's your price range?

Cobb county is more expensive than Clayton county, but there are still affordable areas. Also, working in Kennessaw will give you the option of living in Cherokee county, Cartersville, Powder Springs (West Cobb) etc where it's cheaper than Kenessaw (if you're willing to handle a little traffic).

Marietta would have a good commute, along with North Cobb (Canton Highway) though the parts near Kenessaw mountain are pretty expensive. The areas south of Whitlock and south of N. Marietta Parkway are more affordable. Down Austell Rd is also very affordable, but some areas in there are going downhill. For Austell Rd, I'd stick to the Milford area around Hicks Rd and not get too close to S. Cobb Drive.

Because Smyrna is so expensive, I probably wouldn't consider Smyrna or Mableton unless you are considering this job as temporary and want to be closer to the inside the perimeter job markets. Smyrna's commute will be pretty long, even though it's a reverse commute (20-30 minutes to get to Kenessaw, and then you'll spend more time on the roads). Otherwise, you're paying more for a longer commute. Additionally, I would recommend against the Mableton, and Austell and East Cobb because they'll be quite a hike too. However, one exception to East Cobb is that the area around where Roswell Rd meets Powers Ferry will be an ok commute and is relatively affordable as long as you don't get too close to the Chattahoochee river.

The area of Cobb County directly East and West of Dobbins AFB is very blue collar and getting more concentrated, and the only areas that are improving are directly West of Atlanta Rd (like Old Concord, but not too close to South Cobb Drive), closer to Hicks Rd, or abruptly gets nicer directly South of Windy Hill Rd. Stay away from the low income apartments East of Dobbins AFB and you generally want to be East of 75.

Last edited by netdragon; 03-14-2008 at 06:59 PM..

Old 03-14-2008, 07:33 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
I posted this basic map on another thread but will do so again here to illustrate that if you move to the Kennesaw area (good move if you're working around there) that you want to avoid much of the Barrett Parkway area if you'll be traveling during typical "rush hours". It can be among the most congested areas in the metro area at times.

Area to try to avoid and learn the back roads around:

Old 03-14-2008, 09:01 PM

Smile Renting

Although this is a buyers market, I am not ready to buy so I will be renting. I am in search of a three bedroom two bath apt, with a price range of $600 to $800. Since I am going to be working off of Chastain Rd on Town Park Drive living 15 to 20 minutes is not that bad.

Looking for good schools, HS and elemetary for a spec ed and honor roll student.

I just want a safe neighborhood with good schools, good entertainment, and good people.

Keep the suggestions coming. I thank you all so so so much!

Old 03-16-2008, 09:58 PM

still need more info...keep it coming

Old 03-16-2008, 11:12 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I posted this basic map on another thread but will do so again here to illustrate that if you move to the Kennesaw area (good move if you're working around there) that you want to avoid much of the Barrett Parkway area if you'll be traveling during typical "rush hours". It can be among the most congested areas in the metro area at times.
I always wonder why they don't build a bridge over 75 from the AMC theater (Cobb Place) over to mall (Busbee). That would help relieve a lot of the traffic, since a good amount of it is between those two shopping areas. I usually take Barret Lakes over to Chastain to get to Busbee the back way, however that's out of the way and Cobb Place Lane almost touches Busbee if it weren't for 75. It seems silly that so many people have to even get on another Rd when they could just hop over there over a bridge, if one existed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tab1975 View Post
I just want a safe neighborhood
I wouldn't worry about that in Kennesaw. I'd focus on your other criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta