U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 01:17 PM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,516,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagmypts View Post
If they could, why have there been 3 homicides and an additional 3 violent crimes committed in the past 4 years on MARTA?

Unless I'm mistaken, these incidences took place in MARTA parking lots, not "on MARTA".

Huge difference.

If that's incorrect, please cite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 01:18 PM

122 posts, read 312,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagmypts View Post
BGS99, I am on the same page with you - not only on this point, but basically with everything you have said as this thread develops/continues.
I think we're in the minority with these views.
But thats fine with me.
I'm open to all viewpoints. I wish people would just back it up with some intelligent thoughts. Hey, I cant stand the "It's my right" or "second amendment" one-liners just as much as the "Rambo" or "Wild West" ones.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:27 PM

297 posts, read 1,422,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, these incidences took place in MARTA parking lots, not "on MARTA".

Huge difference.

If that's incorrect, please cite.
I cannot speak about the exact location of these incidences. If anyone else can, please post. However, I am linking to the MARTA Police: Crime Stats page (MARTA - About MARTA - MARTA Police (http://www.itsmarta.com/police/crime_stats/comparison.htm - broken link)).

As the numbers show, the largest occurence of crime is on the rail/bus system and not in the parking lot. However, I cannot speak to the exact whereabouts of the six incidents I mentioned above (3 homicides and 3 violent crimes). If I locate the exact details surrounding those situations, I will also post.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:42 PM

478 posts, read 1,727,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
You could just as easily say "Crystal Meth isn't dangerous. PEOPLE are."
Yeah. Nice try.

Do you really feel comfortable in a world where only governments are allowed to have guns? Think about it for a moment.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:43 PM

478 posts, read 1,727,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
This is where conservatives drive me crazy with their lack of principles. If you believe this kind of stuff, I want to see you voting in favor of full legalization of Sunday sales not just of alcohol, but drugs and prostitution too. Let the almighty guiding hand of free enterprise and personal responsibility determine where these things fit into our society. If you took this position, I wouldn't agree but I'd respect your ideological consistency.

As it is though, most conservatives don't seem to believe in their principles at all. They just want to have some things they happen to like (e.g. guns) but legislate to keep out of the hands of their neighbors some things they don't like (crystal meth). They couldn't care less about anyone's freedoms but their own.
Actually, I'm pretty libertarian on the drug issue.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:17 AM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,516,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairmetal4ever View Post
Yeah. Nice try.

Do you really feel comfortable in a world where only governments are allowed to have guns? Think about it for a moment.
I never said anything like that. Not even close.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:40 AM

9,086 posts, read 13,639,367 times
Thumbs up We Are Both Lock And Step!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Sonny is a corrupt good-old boy and destroyed everything Zell Miller worked for. He worked to get rid of the good-old boy crap in the government. Why do you think he came up with that bill making government workers nonclassified(meaning they will be fired for any malfeasance, misfeasance, or nonfeasance)? He created the HOPE scholarship. Those were the glory years. Roy Barnes wasn't bad either. In fact if Barnes was still the governor, any mass transit system would have been improved, but no. Everyone wanted Perdue and the flag controversy was part of it. Barnes makes a better governor than Perdue and I would rather have him, but USA law doesn't let 16 year-olds vote, which is when Perdue became the governor. I voted against him in the recent governor election, but once again, everyone loves Perdue. That man is a nutcase. He doesn't care about MY needs. A bill to let someone carry a gun in eateries and MARTA is about the best thing he has done so far. He won't fix the mass transit situation.
On another issue we did not see eye to eye but here i agree with everything you say.Its is sad for every super progressive thing that has ever happened in this state that there is always an ignorant,backwards,divisive,idiotic waste of time,get no where bill or issue on the table.I can't see how this will solve our crime problem without adding to it.All I see is more guns get stolen from people who legally own them,or more innocent bystanders getting involved in a shoot out!!Sonny Perdue is a joke of a Governor.8 years of this state standing still.Not one progressive thing out this guy.His first month in as Governor,he cut the Mass transportation funding that had hit an historic high due to Barnes appropriating money and creating GRTA with a charter that made it almost stronger than the DOT.Instead Sonny cuts funding and fires the newly appointed head,Catherine Ross.Mrs Ross is considered by those in her field as the most knowledgeable and most qualified persons in America.Her credentials are impeccable.This idiot fires her and puts a road guy in charge!!OH MY GOD!!Please don't get me stated on Sonny "DO NOTHING" Perdue!!Yes you can thank the stupid Georgia voters who could not see past a stupid racist flag that belongs at best in a museum.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:07 AM

2,819 posts, read 9,519,704 times
Default The Really Sad Case about this Bill

Is the fact that we as a society in the name of "Progressive Thinking" code for Liberal PC Bullpoop, have allowed criminal to have a revolving door within the judicial system.

Kovacs made a statement in regard to MARTA, "At least we would be in a level playing ground with the criminals"

With emotions aside, one has to think how sad it is when the general law abiding population has to feel they must arm themselves to the teeth in order to take public transportation, or even walk the streets of our city.

Mayor Franklin even stated last week, with her normal "Progressive" style, when she took offense by the statement in regard to the City of Atlanta losing more and more tourist dollars because they do not feel "Safe" due to panhandling, robbery, and purse snatching. Instead of taking the bull by the horns and cleaning up the crap, what was "America's Mayor's" comments:
She understands their pain but she cannot infringe on the "rights" of the less fortunate. (This was on Channel 2 news morning edition) Huh! And we wonder why the city is teetering on Bankruptcy!

So all in all, this is what happens when folks elected to enforce laws are encountered with morons who elected, still favor coddling criminals. Stupid is as Stupid does I guess. There is more to this bill overall than just Second Admendment rights. This is what happens when fear exceeds common sense and PC BS rules for a long enough time to bring in fear over common sense.

Overall, this is just not Atlanta's issue but an issue spread all over our country.

It's time we start enforcing the laws on the books now and provide full punishment to criminals up to and not excluding captiol punishment to violent repeat offenders. As a permit holder myself and fully trained past military expert in firearms it scares the be-jesus out of me knowing how many fools will be packing heat. There are plenty of law abiding folks who have no business handling firearms, mostly untrained, and as stated before running on fear.

It's just getting plain scary anymore

Last edited by Georgia; 04-27-2008 at 10:20 AM..

Old 04-27-2008, 09:49 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,179,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
As a permit holder myself and fully trained past military expert in firearms it scares the be-jesus out of me knowing how many fools will be packing heat. There are plenty of law abiding folks who have no business handling firearms, mostly untrained, and as stated before running on fear.

It's just getting plain scary anymore
Goodness Georgia, I disagree with you on many topics, but thanks for the above. Yes.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:10 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,106,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Goodness Georgia, I disagree with you on many topics, but thanks for the above. Yes.
Well, I only hope you're never put in a situation like I was. And if you are, I hope someone who's of good character saves you.

What's the difference right now, of me riding to work with gun, than without? I own several guns and have a permit, grew up around them, took hunter's safety course at 14, hunt on a regular basis and go to shooting ranges. I'm 30 now, carry a gun in my car, and have yet to shoot someone. Not once have I taken my gun and shot the guy next to me at the range.

Why would that change??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or