Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 12:31 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmaloy View Post
AMEN!

WHy is it that people think someone carrying a gun is itching to shoot it? Carrying requires a permit. Permits require education. Kinda like driving a car. When used responsibly, it is a boon to the person and those around them. When used irresponsibly, the law doesn't really matter until after they've done the damage in the first place, because it obviously didn't stop them.
Yeah. And a lot of people get into fatal car wrecks despite drivers ed and passing an exam. Like I said earlier, I don't want to be shot accidentally by some negligent idiot while riding home from work on MARTA or leisurely dining in a restaurant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 12:48 PM

297 posts, read 1,538,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Yeah. And a lot of people get into fatal car wrecks despite drivers ed and passing an exam. Like I said earlier, I don't want to be shot accidentally by some negligent idiot while riding home from work on MARTA or leisurely dining in a restaurant.
Not be rude, but I highly doubt that you would be "shot accidentally.... while riding home from work on MARTA or leisurely dining in a restaurant". I just do not think that someone is going to be cleaning or playing show and tell with their gun in those places. Your chances of being shot by a criminal in one of those places would be much higher.

Most gun accidents occur in the home.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:14 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagmypts View Post
Not be rude, but I highly doubt that you would be "shot accidentally.... while riding home from work on MARTA or leisurely dining in a restaurant". I just do not think that someone is going to be cleaning or playing show and tell with their gun in those places. Your chances of being shot by a criminal in one of those places would be much higher.

Guns can be dropped, safeties can be accidentally left off, etc. Accidents with guns do happen and it makes no sense having deadly weapons in public transport or restaurants. You would be a lot more likely to be shot by someone accidentally discharging a weapon than by an armed perpetrator if this law passes.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:24 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:

That's because that is where most guns ARE. The more places people bring their guns, the more places there will be gun accidents.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Guns can be dropped, safeties can be accidentally left off, etc. Accidents with guns do happen and it makes no sense having deadly weapons in public transport or restaurants. You would be a lot more likely to be shot by someone accidentally discharging a weapon than by an armed perpetrator if this law passes.
Dropped - that would imply that the guns were being held! This bill relates to CONCEALED weapons. These guns are not going to be out in the open. How many guns do you know of that just got off when they are not being handled? If the bill passes, I will read the AJC each day to see how many MARTA riders are "accidentally shot" from people mishandling their legally concealed guns. I will come back here and post the first time it happens.... admitting how flawed my thinking is.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:31 PM

122 posts, read 346,975 times
Quote:
You would be a lot more likely to be shot by someone accidentally discharging a weapon than by an armed perpetrator if this law passes.
Where is the world do you get this stuff from????? What is this based on?
I wish I could just make stuff up and hope nobody calls me on it.

If this is the case, then you are more likely to be shot by an accidental discharge anywhere its already legal to carry a concealled weapon. Is that the case? If so, I'm not going outside anymore.

Hey, if you dont have real statistics just make them up right?
At one point, I thought this thread would lead to an intelligent debate.
Your statement slams the door on any chances of that happening.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS99 View Post

If this is the case, then you are more likely to be shot by an accidental discharge anywhere its already legal to carry a concealled weapon. Is that the case? If so, I'm not going outside anymore.

ROFL! Seriously, too funny.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:40 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,255,485 times
Quote:
I just do not think that someone is going to be cleaning or playing show and tell with their gun in those places.
You mean the way that people responsibly drive and don't show off by gunning it (pun unintended) down the road or swerving in and out of traffic?

Yes, like driving, I am sure most gun owners are responsible, but there are those wreckless ones that still have the right to do so and will flaunt it. And like driving, they put others at risk with their antics.

Quote:
Your chances of being shot by a criminal in one of those places would be much higher.
Here I think is the central issue here - is the motivating cause for this law because of high crime in restaurants and on MARTA? If so, I have not heard of either. Why do we have to be worried about such horrendous crimes then? I'm not saying they do not occur, but is the frequency enough to warrant now that people must protect themselves with guns?

Old 04-07-2008, 02:41 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS99 View Post

No need to make up statistics when it's so easy to look them up. If you keep a gun in your home, it's many times more likely to hurt a member of your family than a criminal.

"Of 626 shootings in or around a residence in three U.S. cities revealed that, for every time a gun in the home was used in a self-defense or legally justifiable shooting, there were four unintentional shootings, seven criminal assaults or homicides, and 11 attempted or completed suicides (Kellermann et al, 1998)." from FIREARMS TUTORIAL

Old 04-07-2008, 02:43 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,255,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clmaloy View Post
What makes you think that a change in the law will INTRODUCE a hazard? That implies that it isn't already there.
No it doesn't imply that. It simply says that the apparent hazard (which again, is this an issue today?) will be amplified.

Quote:
Gotta tell you, there are probably already Guns on Marta... carried by those that would take our rights away... you know, the ones called Criminals by the general public.
Again, how much of a danger is MARTA then? I haven't heard of people being shot on the subway by these criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta