Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 12:11 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,804,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
As is typical of you in your never-ending overly-rushed quest to be a know-it-all, you're responding to what you think I said and not what I actually said. I specifically stated that Oakland City is a probably a good long term investment. The house I linked is an example of this as it is exactly the type of house an investor would buy.
I can't help that I am always right and know everything!

But, really, I don't think OP was looking for just an investment property. $300K is a fair budget for this neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 09:52 AM

225 posts, read 209,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComingHome699 View Post
Single woman, mid 50s. I was living in Howell station before I moved and before it was gentrified , so a little sketchy is not a problem. Schools are not an issue, but crime is.
Is going through some renovations but as of now I wouldn't recommend to live there. Not only feels sketchy but is sketchy. Crime is an issue. I know someone who bought a house there because the homes are so cheap... Heard gun shots regularly, saw shells on the ground, and was actually robbed at gunpoint on the way back home from work.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:30 AM

33 posts, read 37,180 times
I agree with a previous poster, you would probably like living in the West End or somewhere along the belt line.

It is true these areas are in the midst of gentrification and our area is saturated with investors. The good thing about this is that you can find a perfectly remodeled home, ready to move in that will continue to appreciate as they continue to build along the belt line.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:49 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,086,862 times
Oakland City will for sure turn the corner one day, and there always has been some quiet streets down there, but there are also some pretty wild ones. Some parts of the westside have gotten better, others have gotten worse, and Oakland City is one of the ones that got worse. The NE corner of OC that backs into Cascade is dicey to say the least, but back in the day it wasn’t that bad. And I wouldn’t recommend being on the SW edges of OC after dark where it backs into Campbellton either, some of the hottest areas crime wise in the city right now are in that particular area, once you get closer to Campellton and Delowe especially. For the First 48 on A&E watchers 3 of the cases in the episodes here were all in that one little stretch of real estate. The one where the guy got killed in the car with his gf at the gas station was the Chevron at Stanton and Campbellton, the episode where the Bloods killed that guy for claiming he was in the gang was literally a block east of that Chevron on Sandtown and Campbellton. There was another ep about a murder that happened in one in of the houses off of Avon Ave. OC is not safe at all, there is no reason to sugar coat it, because I’m sure it won’t always be that way. But for right now, that’s what it is. Places like Brentwood, Allison Courts and Shamrock are basically privately owned housing projects, and we see with the buildings on Boulevard how hard it is to get rid of those. The westside is a different animal than the east, gentrification won’t move the same way it did when Kirkwood and EA were getting their make overs.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:32 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,086,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComingHome699 View Post
I’m moving back to Atlanta from Florida after 23 years of gone and don’t seem to know the neighborhoods anymore. Is Oakland city a yay or a nay? Single woman, mid 50s. I was living in Howell station before I moved and before it was gentrified , so a little sketchy is not a problem. Schools are not an issue, but crime is. Would really like to be in the metro area if anyone has suggestions. Budget of around 300,000. Thanks
Howell Station isn't bad now, and it wasn't really bad 23 years ago either. Oakland City was pretty rough 23 years ago, and it's really rough now. You can't even begin to compare those 2, with Howell Station you're talking about a section of a section of a neighborhood, that's basically isolated, with the jail on one side, and a couple random halfway houses and rehabs sprinkled here and there but really no true pockets of actual crime, then or now, to a huge neighborhood like Oakland City with sections (Avon, Donnally, Oakland Park, Campbellton, Richland/Montreat), a MARTA station, bounded by 3 major commercial streets on the North, East and South, a decent amount of apartment complexes throughout, and more than a few pockets of actual crime. Not the "sketch" kind where people who are are harmless but down on their luck make you feel uncomfortable when you're walking the dog, but the actual real deal, dope selling, robbing, 14 y/o kids gang banging and shootouts in broad day light kind of crime. A lot of these "hot" areas on the West like West Midtown, Bolton/Riverside, and West End were never that bad, if at all. Howell Station was Beverly Hills compared to Oakland City, don't sleep, the West is changing, but don't think all the hoods are the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: