Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2008, 01:20 PM

7 posts, read 25,535 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, my son who is 20 years old and have just completed his certification in Pharmacy Tech., is planning to move to Atlanta this summer.
He would also like to continue his studies at a community college while working. What is a good safe area for him to live, renting at about 450/600 per month? Also, is this a good career to have in Atlanta?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 01:55 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
There are pharmacies popping up daily around the metro area - it's a good occupation to be in. Not sure why you mentioned in the subject line about his skin color though - were you wanting him to get a job in a pharmacy in a predominately black area of town or something?

There are plenty of safe (and not so safe) areas of town. The thing is with our traffic as many will tell you, you need to live close to where you work. So once he knows where he would be working, then it would be time to find a place close to it to avoid an hour long commute each way every day. Does he want to work in the city, the closer burbs? Outer burbs, etc?

Old 03-31-2008, 02:09 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andash View Post
Hello everyone, my son who is 20 years old and have just completed his certification in Pharmacy Tech., is planning to move to Atlanta this summer.
He would also like to continue his studies at a community college while working. What is a good safe area for him to live, renting at about 450/600 per month? Also, is this a good career to have in Atlanta?
Thanks
From what I hear, this is a good career everywhere...I've read that this field is really in demand.
What year is he in as far as his studies?
Georgia Perimeter College (Georgia Perimeter College) is a 2-year college and has five campuses around the metro area. Of the 5, I'd say Dunwoody and Lawrenceville campuses are in the safest areas...Newton is way out of the city.
Kennesaw State University (Kennesaw State University) is NW of Atlanta and is a 4-year college. It's in a safe area.
Gwinnett Technical College (Gwinnett Technical College) is NE of Atlanta and is in Lawrenceville.
All of these areas likely have apts in your price range, as they are catering to student budgets.

Good luck!

Old 03-31-2008, 02:46 PM

7 posts, read 25,535 times
Thanks so much for your answers, we will be making a follow up trip based on these answers. No Greg, we are not looking for any areas that is predominant of any one race, I just dont want him to be uncomfortable, sorry if I offended anyone.
What year is he in as far as his studies? He has completed the certificate, likes it and wants to pursue the degree program.
Thanks again.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:10 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Thanks so much for your answers, we will be making a follow up trip based on these answers. No Greg, we are not looking for any areas that is predominant of any one race, I just dont want him to be uncomfortable, sorry if I offended anyone.
He shouldn't be uncomfortable anywhere in the metro area as a pharmacy tech working in any pharmacy. Yes, as you will read in the boards, race is still an issue under some circumstances in some areas of town (not all), but regarding jobs, it's not an issue in any place I've ever encountered and he would be just as welcome at a pharmacy in Alpharetta (very white) as he would in Stone Mountain (not so white).

The issues you will see crop up about race will be stuff like a young black man drives through Alpharetta blaring Rap music on his Radio at 2am - yes, the police will look at him suspiciously. Likewise, if a young white man is in a predominately black neighborhood driving around at night, the police might assume he's buying drugs and go after him as well. Certain places, certain times, certain conditions - yes, it still exists here. But a young, educated, career driven person of any color is going to be able to live and work in any part of the metro area without a problem.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
What year is he in as far as his studies? He has completed the certificate, likes it and wants to pursue the degree program.
Thanks again.
He sounds like a great kid, Andash...we'll be lucky to have him. I personally think that Atlanta will have a lot to offer him.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:59 AM

162 posts, read 683,548 times
Georgia is a great state for your son to continue his education. After he has one year residency he can apply for the Hope Scholarship which will fund his education and a large portion of his books as long as he maintains a B average. While he is taking classes at the technical college level he can check out transferring credits to a four year university such as Georgia State, I believe they have a Pharmacy major there. This is a great field and I'd love for my 12 year old son to choose Pharmacy as a career. Good luck.

Also look at Marietta, it is affordable, diverse and has a technical college (Chatahoochee).

Old 04-01-2008, 11:49 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,834,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
From what I hear, this is a good career everywhere...I've read that this field is really in demand.
What year is he in as far as his studies?
Georgia Perimeter College (Georgia Perimeter College) is a 2-year college and has five campuses around the metro area. Of the 5, I'd say Dunwoody and Lawrenceville campuses are in the safest areas...Newton is way out of the city.
Kennesaw State University (Kennesaw State University) is NW of Atlanta and is a 4-year college. It's in a safe area.
Gwinnett Technical College (Gwinnett Technical College) is NE of Atlanta and is in Lawrenceville.
All of these areas likely have apts in your price range, as they are catering to student budgets.

Good luck!
Newton might be five to ten miles farther from downtown than Lawrenceville. Please don't act like it is halfway to Augusta.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
Newton might be five to ten miles farther from downtown than Lawrenceville. Please don't act like it is halfway to Augusta.
I don't see it offering much to a 20 yo that is new to town, though.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:02 PM

15 posts, read 80,406 times
Dad, Your might want to give your son a stipen until he is able to earn more money, otherwise he is going to be living in the hood with the prices you quoted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta