Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 11:41 AM

815 posts, read 708,120 times

Advertisements

PTC is nice but it is definitely geared more for families and retirees. If I were young, single, and making serious bank, I'd be looking at Pinewood Forest in Fayetteville. That is going to be a happening place when it's all up and going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 11:56 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,110,332 times
I cannot believe folks recommending Douglasville. It is a dump- plain and simple. The city is an eyesore.

Old 10-10-2018, 03:06 PM

761 posts, read 906,492 times
I recommended Peachtree City because it's a southside suburb similar to Alpharetta. If you and your fiancee plan on settling here, Peachtree City is a great option. Newnan is also a great option. You'll get more home for your $$ in Newnan and there are more younger couples and families there.

I'd also consider Smyrna/Vinnings. It offers a lot more socially, and is a lot younger area. The commute wouldn't be that bad either.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:29 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,485,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
I cannot believe folks recommending Douglasville. It is a dump- plain and simple. The city is an eyesore.
I've got family and friends who live in the Douglasville area and love and enjoy living there.

...And calling Douglasville "a dump" and "an eyesore" is very extreme, is downright insulting and is just downright not accurate by any stretch.

Douglasville may not be the type of uber-affluent suburban community that many metro Atlantans seem to look up to and place on a pedestal.

But Douglasville is a high-quality suburban community that offers much value to middle-class and working-class professionals who may not necessarily be able to afford to live in parts of the Golden Crescent/Northern Crescent like West Cobb, East Cobb, North Fulton/Forsyth, Buckhead, Dunwoody, etc.

Douglasville particularly offers much value to middle-class and working-class professionals with the generally high quality of its school system, with its generally low-crime rates and with the retail and dining amenities found at and around the GA 5, Chapel Hill Road and GA 92 exits off of I-20.

Douglasville also offers fairly good access for people who work in jobs at and near the airport.

For someone like the OP, Douglasville may not offer the type of amenity-loaded uber-affluent upscale suburban environment that Northside/Northern Crescent/Golden Crescent suburbs like Alpharetta might offer... But Douglasville will offer an acceptable level of suburban amenities in a generally low-crime environment (by metro Atlanta standards) that provides relatively very good access both to his job in the Union City area and for frequent visits to see his fiancé in Birmingham by way of I-20 West.

It all depends on what the OP places as the highest priority in his search for a place to live.

If the OP places access to I-20 West to his fiancé in Birmingham on a fairly frequent basis, then the OP potentially might have to give up his desire for "North Atlanta-esque" type living.

…Though (as others have alluded to), near-Northwest metro Atlanta areas like Vinings, Smyrna and Cumberland (along the northwest quadrant of the I-285 Perimeter) are 3 notable Northside ATP ('At The Perimeter') communities with the type of "North Atlanta-esque" kind of feel that the OP prefers that might provide the OP with fairly decent access both to his job in Union City and for fairly frequent trips to see his fiancé in Birmingham via I-20 West.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:45 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,485,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Dad View Post
I'd also consider Smyrna/Vinnings. It offers a lot more socially, and is a lot younger area. The commute wouldn't be that bad either.
Smyrna/Vinings/Cumberland is likely an area that the OP should focus in on if he wants to live in an area with the type of "North Atlanta-esque" lifestyle that he prefers that would also provide fairly good access to both his job in Union City and for visits to see his fiancé via I-20 West in Birmingham.

The Smyrna/Vinings/Cumberland is a closer-in Northside area that is on the rise with the continued improvements and Millennial/young professional-fueled growth in the City of Smyrna, the likability of the small historic village area in Vinings and the recent opening of "The Battery" entertainment district mixed-use development around the new Atlanta Braves baseball stadium (SunTrust Park).

(...Which while parking can definitely be a notable challenge during Braves' home games, "The Battery" is a mixed-use development with a robust entertainment component (including many good-quality bars and restaurants) that is a destination year-round, even during the 5-6 months of the year that the Braves are not in season.)

Old 10-11-2018, 07:22 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,110,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
I've got family and friends who live in the Douglasville area and love and enjoy living there.

...And calling Douglasville "a dump" and "an eyesore" is very extreme, is downright insulting and is just downright not accurate by any stretch.

Douglasville may not be the type of uber-affluent suburban community that many metro Atlantans seem to look up to and place on a pedestal.

But Douglasville is a high-quality suburban community that offers much value to middle-class and working-class professionals who may not necessarily be able to afford to live in parts of the Golden Crescent/Northern Crescent like West Cobb, East Cobb, North Fulton/Forsyth, Buckhead, Dunwoody, etc.

Douglasville particularly offers much value to middle-class and working-class professionals with the generally high quality of its school system, with its generally low-crime rates and with the retail and dining amenities found at and around the GA 5, Chapel Hill Road and GA 92 exits off of I-20.

Douglasville also offers fairly good access for people who work in jobs at and near the airport.

For someone like the OP, Douglasville may not offer the type of amenity-loaded uber-affluent upscale suburban environment that Northside/Northern Crescent/Golden Crescent suburbs like Alpharetta might offer... But Douglasville will offer an acceptable level of suburban amenities in a generally low-crime environment (by metro Atlanta standards) that provides relatively very good access both to his job in the Union City area and for frequent visits to see his fiancé in Birmingham by way of I-20 West.

It all depends on what the OP places as the highest priority in his search for a place to live.

If the OP places access to I-20 West to his fiancé in Birmingham on a fairly frequent basis, then the OP potentially might have to give up his desire for "North Atlanta-esque" type living.

…Though (as others have alluded to), near-Northwest metro Atlanta areas like Vinings, Smyrna and Cumberland (along the northwest quadrant of the I-285 Perimeter) are 3 notable Northside ATP ('At The Perimeter') communities with the type of "North Atlanta-esque" kind of feel that the OP prefers that might provide the OP with fairly decent access both to his job in Union City and for fairly frequent trips to see his fiancé in Birmingham via I-20 West.
Sorry I offended you, but my insult was to the city- not particular people. My daughter lives there- the 2 main roads- Hwy92, and 278 certainly are eyesores. I noticed they took the "Keep Douglasville beautiful" sign down- for good reason. I wish they would move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta