Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 12:27 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,985,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
You get what you pay for. In LA you get beaches, a Alpha city level metro amenities and culture for what you pay.
How is that "getting more for his money" in LA?

$x0,000/year in Atlanta will get you far more for your money than in LA. Not sure what the argument or need for sarcasm is on this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 12:53 PM

1,005 posts, read 729,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I actually like impromptu videos like the one in the OP.

IMO, it makes the person come across as more genuine. versus having that scripted/polished look that you see in planned videos.
Yeah, totally. I just wished he'd impromptu outside of a moving vehicle. My complaint is just hot air!

Old 10-09-2018, 02:36 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Quote:
Whoa Born, I am usually with you and some of this has plenty truth but this seems a bit exaggerated or extreme.

You may have a good point about Michigan but Chicago's cost of living is pretty close to metro Atlanta and most of the crime is concentrated.

Not to mention Chicago is a Alpha world city with unions jobs and excellent public transportation.

I assume most people get used to the cold.
What I am saying might sound exaggerated or extreme, but I am trying to make a point that there are people who live in those types of super-challenging environments with the type of conditions that I described who get tired of the struggles and leave out of desperation.

Chicago is a well-respected city but the violence is and has been profound there for decades. I have family and friends in a nearby smaller major city (Indianapolis) down the Interstate that constantly experiences very high levels violence from the spillover of the ongoing drug-related gang war out of the very hard-edged west and south sides of Chicago.

Chicago is and continues to be a great city, but (as you noted) the parts of the city where most of the violence is concentrated (on the west and south sides of the city) just become too much for some people to have to deal with on a constant basis... And so some people in those areas (not to mention other nearby hardscrabble areas like Gary and Northwestern Indiana) scrape up whatever resources that they can and head south to cities with better economies and relatively less violence and less desperate conditions like an Indianapolis, Atlanta, etc.

I know people who have gotten hit and badly injured by stray bullets from shootouts while just walking down the street minding their own business in Chicago.

Chicago is a great city, but there are people who struggle mightily there just like there are in other places... And the violence in particular, along with constant deep cuts to education in some parts of the Chicago Public Schools system and an Illinois economy that is not necessarily as robust as it should be just becomes too much for many people to deal with.

I know this because I also have had friends who left the Southside of Chicago and nearby Northwest Indiana in search of better economic opportunities and better living conditions.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:34 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times
I get exactly what Born 2 Roll is saying. For the reason he stated, I run into Chicago and Detroit transplants all of the time. You can't turn a corner without bumping into one.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:10 AM

815 posts, read 708,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big L View Post
I actually shared the video to my page although I don't necessarily agree with it. I live KevOnStage's stuff and he put a comedic spin on it.

This is actually a cultural issue that is being addressed by both the meme and his response. Due to the "Black Mecca" label and the success that some African-Americans have had as a result of moving to Metro Atlanta, countless others have mistakenly assumed that their lives will dramatically change by simply changing their address. There are still opportunities here and this is still a great place to work and live. However, the days of moving here without a job and a plan are long gone.

Unfortunately, there are still a lot of people that feel that just because Cousin Junior moved here in '98 and found a job in 2 days, the same will happen for them. Aside from that no longer happening, you also have to have yourself together as well. If you worked in fast food in a neighboring southern state, then you will probably still work in fast food here with higher rent and a longer commute. Conversely, you can escape the snow and high mortgages up north, but you may not be able to take the train to work or walk to the store when you feel like it.

It should be obvious that change starts from within regardless of the city in question. As the old saying goes, "No matter where you go, there you are!".
Quote:
I think he means that we get this caricature of a black person dropping everything and moving to Atlanta to make it in black Hollywood or music and then failing and saying the city isn't all that.

In reality many if not most have some sort of non artistic skill or experience before coming here.
It may be a caricature, but there are still black people who think all their problems can be solved by just picking up and moving to Atlanta. I definitely wouldn't say that most black people who move from other cities have this mentality, but there are some.

I had a family member who seriously wanted to drop everything and move to Atlanta from TX, but is a single mother with three kids making $13 an hour. I had to dole out some tough love and tell her she needed to stay where she was at and put in some work improving her prospects before coming here.

There's a big difference between a person who has marketable skills and the ability to get a decent paying job in Atlanta, which can then be used to get a house in a safe neighborhood they otherwise wouldn't be able to afford in their home city and those who are unemployed or in low wage jobs and think by moving to Atlanta, they are going to be able to move into a huge house or get a six figure job with no education.

Quote:
You get what you pay for. In LA you get beaches, a Alpha city level metro amenities and culture for what you pay.
Different strokes for different folks. Atlanta has a rich history and culture and not everyone wants to live near a beach. Jacksonville also has beaches and I have zero desire to live there.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:56 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
Since he mentioned wings...

People, come on down and move here, but can we PLEASE stop throwing the god damn wing bones on the ground? I can't walk five feet without my dog finding a wing bone. It's trashy. Don't be trashy.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:18 AM

651 posts, read 476,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
It may be a caricature, but there are still black people who think all their problems can be solved by just picking up and moving to Atlanta. I definitely wouldn't say that most black people who move from other cities have this mentality, but there are some.

I had a family member who seriously wanted to drop everything and move to Atlanta from TX, but is a single mother with three kids making $13 an hour. I had to dole out some tough love and tell her she needed to stay where she was at and put in some work improving her prospects before coming here.

There's a big difference between a person who has marketable skills and the ability to get a decent paying job in Atlanta, which can then be used to get a house in a safe neighborhood they otherwise wouldn't be able to afford in their home city and those who are unemployed or in low wage jobs and think by moving to Atlanta, they are going to be able to move into a huge house or get a six figure job with no education.

Good thing you talked sense into her. Yeah, moving here with no real plan or prospects is a bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post

Different strokes for different folks. Atlanta has a rich history and culture and not everyone wants to live near a beach. Jacksonville also has beaches and I have zero desire to live there.
How does someone with the screen name "CaliDreaming" even think this is a good comparison.

Plenty of places have rich history and culture and why would you name some random place with a beach you don't care about?

No, the culture and amenities in Atlanta nor Jacksonville compare to LA and that not even opinion at this point.

That is why you pay more to be there.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:26 AM

815 posts, read 708,491 times
Quote:

How does someone with the screen name "CaliDreaming" even think this is a good comparison.

Plenty of places have rich history and culture and why would you name some random place with a beach you don't care about?

No, the culture and amenities in Atlanta nor Jacksonville compare to LA and that not even opinion at this point.

That is why you pay more to be there.
LOL, OK fair point on my screenname. I did live in San Diego in my youth and still think fondly of the state.

But I still think that you are unfairly putting down Atlanta. LA has a higher cost of living, but I don't think it's because of the culture. In fact, I remember people putting down LA because of a lack of culture, which I also think is unfair. I've heard some people comparing Atlanta and LA for this reason.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:08 PM

459 posts, read 475,016 times
Atlanta knows it opened its doors, so to speak and other places did the same, while other places closed their doors. If you're in the northeast with higher property taxes, higher commute times, higher cos = cost of living and you will be terminated unless you move and you find out you have lower taxes, lower commute times, lower cost of living and you will get a raise for moving to Atlanta I can see the appeal. If Atlanta didn't want all these new people moving in they wouldn't be trying to attract all these companies to their area period.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:34 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,360,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
What I am saying might sound exaggerated or extreme, but I am trying to make a point that there are people who live in those types of super-challenging environments with the type of conditions that I described who get tired of the struggles and leave out of desperation.

Chicago is a well-respected city but the violence is and has been profound there for decades. I have family and friends in a nearby smaller major city (Indianapolis) down the Interstate that constantly experiences very high levels violence from the spillover of the ongoing drug-related gang war out of the very hard-edged west and south sides of Chicago.

Chicago is and continues to be a great city, but (as you noted) the parts of the city where most of the violence is concentrated (on the west and south sides of the city) just become too much for some people to have to deal with on a constant basis... And so some people in those areas (not to mention other nearby hardscrabble areas like Gary and Northwestern Indiana) scrape up whatever resources that they can and head south to cities with better economies and relatively less violence and less desperate conditions like an Indianapolis, Atlanta, etc.

I know people who have gotten hit and badly injured by stray bullets from shootouts while just walking down the street minding their own business in Chicago.

Chicago is a great city, but there are people who struggle mightily there just like there are in other places... And the violence in particular, along with constant deep cuts to education in some parts of the Chicago Public Schools system and an Illinois economy that is not necessarily as robust as it should be just becomes too much for many people to deal with.

I know this because I also have had friends who left the Southside of Chicago and nearby Northwest Indiana in search of better economic opportunities and better living conditions.
You know people who have been hit by stray bullets walking down the street in Chicago? Really? Chicago's crime rate continues to decrease, and it is the most educated big city in the country with a building boom in the core. An Alpha city, ranked one of the top 10 in the world by many studies. I love how people like to feel better about where they live by putting other places down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta