U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-03-2008, 06:20 PM
 
4 posts, read 13,707 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Greetings! I have been accepted into a unique graduate program that will bring me to Atlanta. I will be moving to the area at the end of the summer.

My program is providing a house for myself and other members in my program. From what I can tell, it is on Sunset Drive, between 85/403 and Briarcliff Road. Is anyone familiar enough with this area to assess its overall safety, traffic, etc.?

Additionally, I will probably be packing my belongings and traveling down in my car. As such, I'm going to prioritize what I bring. Since I have lived in NY my whole life, I'm accustomed to rough winters. I'm assuming heavy jackets and boots can be left behind? Can any other transplants from the North make specific recommendations?

Finally, can you think of any absolute essentials I should have upon arrival that someone from the North may not initially consider?

Thanks!
- Ryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-03-2008, 07:40 PM
 
Location: Metropolis, USA
1,104 posts, read 1,220,582 times
Reputation: 181
Yes.
1. BoxES of Claritin
2. A GPS device
3. Don't leave your boots or your hoody BRING THEM WITH YOU!!

Please listen to me are learn the hard way. I just moved here 4 days ago. peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2008, 07:49 PM
 
1,516 posts, read 6,225,419 times
Reputation: 521
Sunblock
Appetite for sweet tea, ranch dressing and Chick-fil-a!
GPS - great idea cooly
It'll be hot here in about a minute so don't worry if it seems chilly.
Welcome and enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2008, 08:17 PM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,858 posts, read 15,192,827 times
Reputation: 3566
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchadick View Post
Since I have lived in NY my whole life, I'm accustomed to rough winters. I'm assuming heavy jackets and boots can be left behind? Can any other transplants from the North make specific recommendations?
Bad assumption. You won't get long term freezing temperatures, but it goes down into the teens, 20s, and low 30s during the winter quite regularly. The difference is that it can be 25 degrees in the morning and then 60 degrees by 3pm. Up north, we had days where the temp never went above freezing for days. You won't see that here, but you'll need winter clothes. This isn't Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchadick View Post
Finally, can you think of any absolute essentials I should have upon arrival that someone from the North may not initially consider?
Yeah...air conditioning Also, you'll need to drive with both eyes wide open. I grew up and lived in NYC but Atlanta has the scariest drivers I've ever seen. Just the other day some kid ran a SVU off the road and killed 4 people. The highways here are dangerous places. Makes the LIE look like a picnic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2008, 08:21 PM
 
Location: East Cobb
2,206 posts, read 6,178,613 times
Reputation: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchadick View Post
Since I have lived in NY my whole life, I'm accustomed to rough winters. I'm assuming heavy jackets and boots can be left behind?
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post
Don't leave your boots or your hoody BRING THEM WITH YOU!!
Since a hoody isn't a heavy jacket to me, I'm guessing that coolyfett's notion of a rough winter is different from mine.

rchadick - I moved to Atlanta from Canada 6 years ago. I wear my heavy jacket for a few days (days, not weeks) most winters here. If I didn't have it already, I'd get by fine with a warm sweater and medium-weight jacket. I've never ever worn my Sorels (snow boots) here. If my kind of winter gear is the kind of thing you're thinking of leaving behind, yes, it's fine to leave that stuff. Don't bother with your snow blower, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2008, 08:41 PM
 
Location: West Cobb County, GA (Atlanta metro)
9,188 posts, read 30,740,839 times
Reputation: 5171
Everyone's suggestions are valid, especially the GPS system with updated maps as you'll soon find out that Atlanta's street system is nothing at all as organized as NYC's. If you don't have one, splurge, they're as cheap as $150 now.

Ditto on the allergy meds. People far and wide come here especially this time of year and nearly die from the pollen. I've lived here since 1984 and right now I'm on massive amounts of Benedryl just to breath (barely).

AAA membership. Moving to the "L.A. of the East" can place you in a dangerous situation if your car breaks down in the middle of one of the highways surrounding the city. AAA will come to you and tow you out of harm's way so you don't have to leave your car and get splattered on the road, bring you gas if you run out (shame shame), or get you in if you lock yourself out.

Traffic in that area is somewhat heavy, but overall the Briarcliff area is safe. You'll be more in a driving area and not within walking distance to MARTA (our limited subway system), though there is bus service in that area if you opt for it instead of driving. I'm not familiar with a Sunset that connects to it or a 403 ?? Do you know of a more major intersection near the place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2008, 09:19 PM
 
Location: Metropolis, USA
1,104 posts, read 1,220,582 times
Reputation: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Since a hoody isn't a heavy jacket to me, I'm guessing that coolyfett's notion of a rough winter is different from mine.

rchadick - I moved to Atlanta from Canada 6 years ago. I wear my heavy jacket for a few days (days, not weeks) most winters here. If I didn't have it already, I'd get by fine with a warm sweater and medium-weight jacket. I've never ever worn my Sorels (snow boots) here. If my kind of winter gear is the kind of thing you're thinking of leaving behind, yes, it's fine to leave that stuff. Don't bother with your snow blower, either.
Dude. I moved from Jacksonville FL... Our winter gear is long johns and whatever you want on top. Hoody's were for drastic measures in Jacksonville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2008, 09:34 PM
 
Location: East Cobb
2,206 posts, read 6,178,613 times
Reputation: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Everyone's suggestions are valid, especially the GPS system with updated maps as you'll soon find out that Atlanta's street system is nothing at all as organized as NYC's. If you don't have one, splurge, they're as cheap as $150 now.

Ditto on the allergy meds. People far and wide come here especially this time of year and nearly die from the pollen. I've lived here since 1984 and right now I'm on massive amounts of Benedryl just to breath (barely).
Yes, yes, yes re GPS!

About allergies, I'd say wait and see. My infuriating late-winter/early-spring allergies cleared right up in Atlanta. It's great! The trees that bothered me so much in the NorthWest aren't prevalent here, apparently, and although there's buckets of pollen here, none of it bothers me at all, despite my long prior history of respiratory allergies.

On the other hand, my husband never had an allergic second before moving to Atlanta, and was one of those annoying people who think allergies are pretty much psychosomatic. So much for hubris ... he's allergic to the ragweed we get here in the fall, and is miserable at that time of year in Atlanta. YMMV, obviously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2008, 08:11 AM
 
4 posts, read 13,707 times
Reputation: 15
Default Sorry

Just for clarification purposes, I'm from Central NY and not NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2008, 08:36 AM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,125 posts, read 36,362,431 times
Reputation: 15465
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchadick View Post
My program is providing a house for myself and other members in my program. From what I can tell, it is on Sunset Drive, between 85/403 and Briarcliff Road. Is anyone familiar enough with this area to assess its overall safety, traffic, etc.?
Sunset Drive is right near the intersection of Briarcliff and Shallowford Rds; that is a good, safe area that is about 10-15 minutes from the Emory campus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top