Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2008, 12:41 AM

91 posts, read 343,024 times

Advertisements

I recently graduated from graduate school. I grew up in atlanta but havent driven around the east side for 7 years. From what I hear the east side of atlanta is changing rapidly. Is that true? I am interested in buying a house when I get back, but I dont know my price range yet. I am just trying to get a feel on east side neighborhoods and how they could be described, mostly in terms of crime and "ghettoness", basically how much they have "gentrified". I know when I lived in atlanta these areas were still pretty rough, but that was before they started tearing down the public housing. In particular:
kirkwood, edgewood, old fourth ward, reynoldstown, cabbagetown, east atlanta, east lake, grant park, ormewood park....

Also, how is the area immediately surrounding the new edgewood retail district?
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 07:06 AM

401 posts, read 1,726,050 times
IMO, in order of degree of gentrification.....most gentrified to least...

Grant Park
Kirkwood
Eastlake
Ormewood Park
Cabbagetown
East Atlanta
Old Fourth Ward
Edgewood
Reynoldstown

Others may reasonably differ - but that's how I see it at this point.

The area immediately surrounding the Edgewood retail district is sketchy. There are some really scary apartments and "duplexes" in that area, and a lot of crime comes from these areas. I have heard somewhere that the "duplex" development is being bulldozed - but I don't know for sure.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:54 AM

2 posts, read 7,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMANN View Post
I recently graduated from graduate school. I grew up in atlanta but havent driven around the east side for 7 years. From what I hear the east side of atlanta is changing rapidly. Is that true? I am interested in buying a house when I get back, but I dont know my price range yet. I am just trying to get a feel on east side neighborhoods and how they could be described, mostly in terms of crime and "ghettoness", basically how much they have "gentrified". I know when I lived in atlanta these areas were still pretty rough, but that was before they started tearing down the public housing. In particular:
kirkwood, edgewood, old fourth ward, reynoldstown, cabbagetown, east atlanta, east lake, grant park, ormewood park....

Also, how is the area immediately surrounding the new edgewood retail district?
thanks
Atlanta is cleaning up--more like a metropolitan area should be. It definitely isn't at 100%, but moving in that direction. Edgewood Market is nice and the surrounding areas are improving. I have sons living in those areas and they love it. I also periodically do reports for my real estate business as I have property there, too.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:35 PM

67 posts, read 235,927 times
I live around the corner from the new Edgewood Retail District (in a gated condo community) and yes, it is still a little sketchy...I wouldn't walk around by myself at night but a lot of places are like that around the city. There are new developments going up all around, new townhomes behind the Lowes for $399k with skyline views, new townhomes to the south on Hardee Street in the mid to low $300's. Grant Park is definately further along than the other places mentioned. Oakhurst is also a great area to look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: