Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 06:12 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,561,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I like that idea, a news station i could tune to and quickly get caught up on the news anytime.
An even better idea; a news station I could pay a small fraction of attention to while waiting to board an airplane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 06:54 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i think it would be cool to see CNN open up a street level studio on peachtree somewhere around mitchell square, have glass behind them like they do in several major cities.
Why couldn't they do that at Marietta and COP Dr?

Old 10-19-2018, 07:52 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
An even better idea; a news station I could pay a small fraction of attention to while waiting to board an airplane.
Can we keep the volume up loud on it? And have at least 50% commercials ?

Old 10-19-2018, 08:31 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
How about news channels in Spanish and especially for people who live in Europe and Asia? They could still produce them out of Atlanta. Nobody would know!

Old 10-19-2018, 08:39 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Where is CNN-International and CNN en Español Produced from?

Old 10-19-2018, 10:00 AM

711 posts, read 683,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i think it would be cool to see CNN open up a street level studio on peachtree somewhere around mitchell square, have glass behind them like they do in several major cities.
Not going to happen. CNN is a high profile target for terrorists and others, and a street level studio would be too much of a soft target. Workers there are already on edge, and deal with security walking around with Uzis when there's a credible threat. People staying at the Omni have a direct line of sight into the newsroom, and they were subjected to people shouting across the atrium at them on election night in 2016. If they tried to create a studio with a view, it would probably on the second and third floors along the glass wall facing Centennial Park.

I'd be happy if they'd just use the fake Atlanta skyline behind the anchors more often. I think CNN International uses the Atlanta cityscape more than the domestic channel, which is very focused on DC and NY.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:15 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Where is CNN-International and CNN en Español Produced from?
Mostly Atlanta.

Old 10-20-2018, 02:41 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Why couldn't they do that at Marietta and COP Dr?
Yes, this. In bryant’s Post above, I thought he meant this area.

Old 10-20-2018, 03:42 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
YAAASS!!! Hopefully, this move is just a sign of even bigger changes to come in Atlanta's favor. The below AJC article from 2015 really gets to the heart of how much Atlanta's been negatively impacted by the slow bleeding to NYC and LA.

Big Apple chomps on Ted’s Atlanta legacy

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc...84DjJ/amp.html

Quote:
An on-air anchor here, a creative guy there. They left the studios. And the tour guides at CNN Center. And more than 5,000 other employees. And the signs along the highway for TBS, TNT and Cartoon Network.

But don’t be fooled. The powers over Turner Broadcasting System eventually made off with stuff metro Atlanta doesn’t want to do without. They shifted several CNN shows elsewhere. They cut lots of jobs. And now they’ve gutted much of the senior leadership ranks here and put their offices in New York and Los Angeles, far from the house that Ted Turner built.

Top leaders matter. If they are good, they help set the strategy and lead the charge.

So now at Turner, which helped set Atlanta’s international image, many of the top bosses have become visitors.

Once they think of Atlanta as a place to stop in rather than live, do we really think they would have the same commitment to grow jobs here or to be active in community projects?

The latest leak of leadership juice is the recent news that the company’s new executive vice president and chief strategy officer will be in Manhattan, not Midtown Atlanta. Ah well, what’s one more?

(continue in link)
The mothballing of CNN's operations here, and even the shifting of senior management at Turner to NYC, was all Time Warner's doing. Time Warner, BTW, was always NYC-based company with NYC-centric leadership. But with Texas (fellow sunbelt / southern / red state) based AT&T having purchased them, there's now a new sheriff in town. As we've witnessed with the AT&T jobs in Atlants being shifted to Dallas over the years, they're obviously big on consolidation.

They just invested a ton of money in their newsroom at CNN Center and I don't blame them for not wanting it to go to waste. It's plain stupid to have such a nice facility in Atlanta and not have it used for their live programming.

(BTW, I will even do a happy dance if they kick Jeff Zucker to the curb)

Old 10-20-2018, 08:57 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
YAAASS!!! Hopefully, this move is just a sign of even bigger changes to come in Atlanta's favor. The below AJC article from 2015 really gets to the heart of how much Atlanta's been negatively impacted by the slow bleeding to NYC and LA.

Big Apple chomps on Ted’s Atlanta legacy

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc...84DjJ/amp.html
Good points. One of our neighbors was a big dog at CNN but he didn't want to move to NYC. So he left and went into the PR business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta