Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 07:16 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,561,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Yeah, I don't get the derision of Alpharetta either.
I see no derision in pointing out that Alpharetta isn't known for its nightlife. I'd imagine that for many, if not most, of the people that live there, that's not a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormhammer View Post
Spice on Thursday's is a total cougar den.
Didn't they close last year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 07:54 AM

221 posts, read 189,943 times
Given OP is 30 years old as opposed to 40, I would suggest staying ITP.

There are single people in Alpharetta but there just aren't that many around OP's age. There are so many universities ITP with an abundance of close to or recent graduates (ages 22-30). Nightlife is also way better.

Alpharetta is mostly for families or young couples preparing for a family. Very few single people live in Alpharetta by choice, usually they are stuck there due to employment. Many of them decide to leave at the first opportunity they get, even if it means doing that reverse commute up 400.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:48 AM

12 posts, read 16,787 times
Brookhaven/Chamblee.

Chamblee should have some cheaper living options.

Anything in the suburbs is not gonna have much night life. Especially for a single male.

Smyrna/Vinings would be another viable option that should affordable housing options.

Alpharetta, etc is great if your married and into swinging. thats considered nightlife for them. JK, sorta.

Public golf options around there are ok...but public golf in/around Atlanta is pretty awful.

Your best affordable private options are Indian Hills Country Club, Berkeley Hills, and Pine Tree.

Edit...seeing as the job is in Sandy Springs, north Buckhead and Sandy Springs should suit you just fine too.

Old 10-29-2018, 02:34 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,777,542 times
There are plenty of young men and women who are fine with Alpharetta. One thing we know about Millennials is that they are not monolithic.

Old 10-29-2018, 03:18 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
There are plenty of young men and women who are fine with Alpharetta. One thing we know about Millennials is that they are not monolithic.
This is one of those topics where perception lags far behind reality. Whenever a single person inquires about a prospective life OTP, there comes an immediate response: "Oh, NO! You don't want to live anywhere but ITP."
There is more than enough entertainment for a young single in the Northern Arc, unless you want to do that faux boho thing than intowners occasionally engage in to maintain a sense of superiority.

Old 10-29-2018, 03:58 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
This is one of those topics where perception lags far behind reality. Whenever a single person inquires about a prospective life OTP, there comes an immediate response: "Oh, NO! You don't want to live anywhere but ITP."
There is more than enough entertainment for a young single in the Northern Arc, unless you want to do that faux boho thing than intowners occasionally engage in to maintain a sense of superiority.
Yep. There are many young folks out here in the burbs who seem to enjoy living here.

Old 10-29-2018, 04:32 PM

111 posts, read 104,853 times
I think before the OP isolates himself in Alpharetta I would consider living in Sandy Springs/Brookhaven/Buckhead first. You are definitely isolating yourself in Alpharetta if you move there as it is very far from the city. You will be close enough to the city without being in it when living in Sandy Springs/Brookhaven/Buckhead and they very suburban in those areas. You still have access to Marta if you want to go in the city. I'm from Connecticut too and hated Alpharetta but I'm more of a city guy. Just get an apartment in the recommended area first due to it's central location and then you can find the best area for you to end up.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:01 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdbass View Post
I think before the OP isolates himself in Alpharetta I would consider living in Sandy Springs/Brookhaven/Buckhead first. You are definitely isolating yourself in Alpharetta if you move there as it is very far from the city. You will be close enough to the city without being in it when living in Sandy Springs/Brookhaven/Buckhead and they very suburban in those areas. You still have access to Marta if you want to go in the city. I'm from Connecticut too and hated Alpharetta but I'm more of a city guy. Just get an apartment in the recommended area first due to it's central location and then you can find the best area for you to end up.
Alpharetta is not isolating. At all.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:01 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,052,659 times
Live in Sandy Springs.

It's the most central place to get your bearings and you can move in year if you don't like it.

Also, no woman you will meet online will consider it too far. Some won't consider someone who lives as far away as Alpharetta. Also, the eligible women around Sandy Springs are less likely to be single mothers.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:02 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,364,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdbass View Post

1) Definitely not monolithic!

2) Good point, Iconographer. It's pretty tragic being judged for not living in Atlanta. It's not like we ask or expect people to come to our side of town. Some people want more bang for their buck. They might want the option of living in the burbs' but hanging out in Atlanta once in a while. Atlanta isn't for everyone. It is a growing city and though it sleeps at night, there are those who prefer life in the suburbs.

3) 3rdbass...it's interesting the OP chose Alpharetta of all places. Brookhaven and Sandy Springs might be an option for the person but I don't remember them mentioning anywhere like that (places nearer to Atlanta). It's better they rent a while in Alpharetta where they may feel more comfortable and if they should decide they want something nearer to Atlanta, then we can go from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta