U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 11:10 AM

4 posts, read 51,527 times

Advertisements

Hi There
I am newbie here, I am planning to rent my house and Move out of town. I tried Craigslist but I still don't know where to place ads I mean for Free. I know it is not sellers market now but any feed back is welcome.
Also what is the procedure to rent, do we have to do background check and stuff?
Last week two people ran away when we said we need to do background check??
Help me Here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 11:25 AM

10 posts, read 85,697 times
Hello,
I get most of my feedback from craigslist.com. You have to repost every three days to keep it up near the top of the list, but it's seems to be the best. I have posted on every free site I can find, and have NEVER gotten a response from any of those sites. The other best option is to bite the bullet and pay for a creative loafing add. I finally did and have received a pretty good response.

It is wise to suggest a background check. The people who wouldn't pass will run away, and I would imagine you will want that! You should also talk about a credit check. I deal with a lot of students who have no credit, so usually have to trust my instinct. It is much better to be safe than sorry. You do NOT want to get stuck with paying two mortgages or have a really bad tenants.

Good Luck!

Moderator cut: TOS Violation

Last edited by autumngal; 04-04-2008 at 11:57 AM..

Old 04-04-2008, 11:44 AM

20 posts, read 51,373 times
What area is your house located in?

Old 04-04-2008, 11:47 AM

3,972 posts, read 11,291,826 times
Do you have any experience being a landlord? If not, you might want to rethink this, especially if you are leaving town?

Who will fix things? Who will collect the rent? How will you handle it if the rent isn't paid?

There are also property managers that you could consider that take a percentage of the rent.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:52 AM

9,188 posts, read 30,777,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
There are also property managers that you could consider that take a percentage of the rent.
A friend of mine did this. Used a company that took care of everything and took a percentage. Worked out well for him. I have no idea the name of the company he used, but if you're going to be out of the area and can't deal with issues in person it helps to use one even if it costs you money.

Usually requiring a first and last month rent as a deposit will help weed out many of the bad ones. Ask for "verifiable references". State no smoking/no pets (I'm a pet lover but as a landlord you're opening a can of worms if you allow them). Some office supply places like Office Max also have pre-printed legal leasing agreements that you may want to use.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:13 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,186,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
State no smoking/no pets (I'm a pet lover but as a landlord you're opening a can of worms if you allow them).
Possibly true, but while looking at rental listings on Craigslist recently (out of curiosity about the current housing market problems), I was amazed to see that of the numerous nice-looking three-four bedroom family homes offered for rent in N. Fulton and E. Cobb, virtually every single one said pets welcome. I presume the would-be landlords think they can't afford to refuse pets.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:21 PM

857 posts, read 4,553,242 times
I have had many rental properties over the years and 75% of the time I have rented them simply from a "For Rent" sign on the front lawn and a box of information flyers.

I have always told any interested parties that I would run a credit check and asked them if they want to go ahead and explain in advance what the credit check is going to show. I have often wound up renting to people with lousy credit because they gave me an explanation for their credit problems that I found acceptable. The way I see it, if someone has good credit why would they be willing to pay $1400 a month for something that they could buy for lower mortgage payments?

Old 04-04-2008, 12:46 PM

Wow, that can of worms message freaked me out, northmeetssouth is right, why would they rent it, they should buy it if they have good credit history, first and last month rent is best option,
My house is at Gwinnett area, I was also scared that no one will response my Ad and said pets welcome. I need to change my Ad now.

I think I should look towards renting company where they take care of everything.
Anyone have any suggestions about renting company????
Thanks

Old 04-04-2008, 12:50 PM

Gwinnett??

Old 02-05-2013, 10:19 AM

2 posts, read 2,995 times
Lemont, IL. Raised-ranch single-family house with 3Br (wood floors), 2.5bath and heated 1.5car garage. Wrap-around deck and half-acre treed yard with playground. Finished walk-out basement with porcelain-tiled floor. Well and septic. 2 min from I-55 and Argonne National Laboratory. 5 min to major shopping center. No smoking, one month security deposit required. $1800/mon. pls call 6308479123 or email cyl10865@hotmail.com for showing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or