Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 12:40 PM

14,229 posts, read 4,596,290 times

Advertisements

Family of 3 (husband, wife, and 1 year old child) from CA wanting to move to ATL. My wife will be a stay at home mom until our child in pre-school. Household income is about 90k-100k/year (gross). I will be working near Hartsfield-Jackson intl airport.

Where is a safe place to live near the airport? I will rent first and buy later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 04:26 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Family of 3 (husband, wife, and 1 year old child) from CA wanting to move to ATL. My wife will be a stay at home mom until our child in pre-school. Household income is about 90k-100k/year (gross). I will be working near Hartsfield-Jackson intl airport.

Where is a safe place to live near the airport? I will rent first and buy later.
For rentals in a more outer-suburban area, look in an like Newnan around the I-85/GA 34 interchange (I-85 Exit 47) where there multiple high-quality apartment rentals in an area with loads of retail and dining amenities along Georgia Highway 34 on both sides of the I-85 interchange.

You can also look at some of the very few apartment complexes in Fayette County (Peachtree City and Fayetteville) where the schools are some of the absolute best in the entire Southeastern U.S. and where the quality-of-life is extremely high.

You can also look west in Douglasville around the I-20/GA 5 interchange (I-20 Exit 34) in another area that is loaded with retail and dining amenities.

I've got friends and family who live out in the Douglasville area and they love the schools and the quality-of-life of the area, which for many is a more affordable alternative for the outer-suburban lifestyle than the much more expensive areas on the Northside.

For rentals in a more inner-suburban/post-suburban area, look to Vinings and Smyrna in near-suburban Northwest metro Atlanta in an area that would provide a pretty decent commute to and from your job near the airport by way of the 'West Wall' of the I-285 Perimeter.

When it comes time to buy, look in areas like:

> Almost anywhere in Fayette County (which is one of the most highly-regarded school systems in the entire Southeastern U.S.)…

> Coweta County (close to Newnan) in the clusters of schools anchored by Northgate, East Coweta and Newnan high schools...

> Douglas County (in the Douglasville area) in the clusters of schools anchored by Alexander and Douglas County high schools.

Last edited by Born 2 Roll; 10-25-2018 at 04:57 PM..

Old 10-25-2018, 05:16 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
Also, if you want some leafy intown neighborhood options where you can walk to a lot of things check out areas around Grant Park and Ormewood Park. I know a lot of airport people commute from there.

Or if you want urban you can take the MARTA train from downtown or midtown straight into the airport terminal quicker than many people can get a shuttle to their car.

Both those areas have good rental and buying options if you want to get to know the city some.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:52 PM

27 posts, read 24,282 times
Peachtree City, Newnan, Fayetteville, Senoia. I sent a PM too.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:54 PM

761 posts, read 907,795 times
Peachtree City (McIntosh High), Sharpsburg/Newnan (Northgate), Fayetteville(Starr's Mill/Whitewater), Senoia (East Coweta). Should also consider McDonough (Union Grove/Ola).

Old 10-25-2018, 08:34 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Dad View Post
Should also consider McDonough (Union Grove/Ola).
I really like the clusters of schools anchored by Union Grove and Ola high schools in the McDonough area of Henry County as well because of the quality of the schools in those areas.

But I sometimes will shy away from recommending them as an option because of concerns about the ability to traverse parts of I-75 South during peak hours (morning and afternoon/evening rush hours, and roughly during daylight hours and beyond around holiday and vacation periods when the I-75 South roadway gets very heavy with traffic traveling to and from the vacation and resort areas of Florida).

There are two stretches of roadway along I-75 South OTP that can lock up with traffic congestion and gridlock during the aforementioned peak hours, I-75 through Henry County (through the Stockbridge and McDonough areas) between the I-675 and Locust Grove interchanges, and I-75 from just south of the I-285 Perimeter south to the US 19-41/Old Dixie Highway interchange in north Clayton County.

These two delay-prone stretches of roadway can make commuting along I-75 South OTP during peak traffic hours unpredictable at times.

Though, the highly-regarded Union Grove and Ola school clusters of McDonough and Henry County should be okay for those who will be commuting towards (and away from) Atlanta (including an area like the airport) during off-peak hours (roughly between the hours of 8pm and 6am).

Old 10-25-2018, 10:26 PM

179 posts, read 325,581 times
Having lived in Atlanta previously and hopefully moving back soon (and also working at the airport), I personally wouldn't commute to the airport from Newnan/PtC. I had to stay in Newnan for 10 weeks of training recently, too. It's a decent suburb, but it's just a suburb. To me, that's wasting a good 45 minutes to an hour of your day each way, when there are perfectly good neighborhoods close to the airport, inside the perimeter, and close to the amenities of the city. When I lived in Atlanta, I lived in an apartment in Grant Park. It was 15 minutes, max, to the airport, and close to all the fun stuff in the city, and I was able to avoid all the hassle of commuting. I couldn't imagine having to deal with the hassle of living close to a city, but not close enough to really enjoy the great amenities of the city.

Old 10-26-2018, 05:45 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,709,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldl5112 View Post
Having lived in Atlanta previously and hopefully moving back soon (and also working at the airport), I personally wouldn't commute to the airport from Newnan/PtC. I had to stay in Newnan for 10 weeks of training recently, too. It's a decent suburb, but it's just a suburb. To me, that's wasting a good 45 minutes to an hour of your day each way, when there are perfectly good neighborhoods close to the airport, inside the perimeter, and close to the amenities of the city. When I lived in Atlanta, I lived in an apartment in Grant Park. It was 15 minutes, max, to the airport, and close to all the fun stuff in the city, and I was able to avoid all the hassle of commuting. I couldn't imagine having to deal with the hassle of living close to a city, but not close enough to really enjoy the great amenities of the city.
What amenities could you find in the city of Atlanta (especially parts of the city close to the airport) that you couldn't find in Newnan/PTC?

Old 10-26-2018, 06:07 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,947,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
What amenities could you find in the city of Atlanta (especially parts of the city close to the airport) that you couldn't find in Newnan/PTC?
Especially amenities for a family with kids.

Old 10-26-2018, 06:10 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,709,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
Especially amenities for a family with kids.
Exactly.

I can kind of understand the appeal of SW Atlanta communities for individuals who are young, working class, childless and single, but with a higher than normal crime rate and less than stellar schools, I wouldn't recommend it to someone with a family who's relatively affluent and wants to purchase a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta