Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 03:15 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,992,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Is this a reason why?
No. Flights were all on time, pilots were good, food was good, and entertainment was good.

I'm just sick of the totally rude flight attendants and the Delta app sent me to the entirely wrong terminal at an airport. It had the gate right, but somehow thought that gate was in a different terminal and almost made me miss my flight. But the biggest reason is because the Skymiles program is completely worthless. Delta makes it almost impossible to ever upgrade to first class if you are not a medallion member. The price you have to pay or miles you have to use to do so are ludicrous. The only people in those Delta One seats are medallion members and also...I'll give an industry secret here...employees and spouses of employees.

It's obvious to me that Delta wants to reserve upgrades only for its most frequent flyers and employees. That's fine, I can't fault them for that, I'm sure they've researched it and figured out that's what's best for them. But it doesn't work for me, so I'm taking my business to other airlines who operate on a different principle.

Also, Delta One isn't that good of a first class experience when compared to other airlines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 03:29 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,339,720 times
I understand and will keep that in mind (don't travel too often right now). All I know is I can't stand flying with any U.S. airline. Customer service is usually poor and I remember this one international flight...they didn't even tell us there was food in the back. I literally sat in my seat so hungry waiting for dinner to be served. I finally went to the back to ask if and when we'd be served dinner only to see them point to where it was (in the back and not even one announcement). The sandwiches were cheap and bland. Totally disgusting.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:52 PM

Oh, and also...boarding a Delta plane is an unmitigated disaster. They've created so many different zones now, nobody knows when to get on and everybody just bum rushes the gate. This is because Delta has made overhead bin space a premium by charging so much to check bags, so everybody wants to get on the plane early to snag the first-come-first overhead space.

Other than that, there's no reason to want to be on the plane early. The premium experience SHOULD be boarding the plane last, so you are in that sardine can for as short amount of time as possible.

With all the bizarre zones, the plane doesn't board in any type of orderly fashion, so it takes forever. The most logical thing to do is board the back rows first, but on Delta, people in the back rows usually have the lowest boarding priority, so the plane boards in exactly the order that makes the least amount of logical sense.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:51 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,639,834 times
Wow!!! I've had nothing but a positive experience with Delta...

Old 10-30-2018, 06:15 PM

Do you fly mostly domestic?

Delta's problems are a lot more visible on international flights. Everyone I know who regularly flies overseas knows to avoid Delta like the plague.

There are also certain airports where Delta is a disaster. LAX is an example. In and out of Atlanta, it's ok.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:41 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,639,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Do you fly mostly domestic?...

...There are also certain airports where Delta is a disaster. LAX is an example. In and out of Atlanta, it's ok.
Yes.

And in all fairness to LAX, it's not a Delta-only hub. I'm sure United and American passengers feel the same way when they have to fly into LAX.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:48 PM

1,708 posts, read 3,409,220 times
In August I flew to Buffalo NY to attend a four day festival. The festival was cancelled an hour after I landed as I was pulling on the highway in my rental Severe flooding caused a boil advisory and the town pulled the permit. I wanted to get home asap.

"Sorry your vacation was ruined, that'll be $200 change fee plus $300 change fare difference since you want to fly out so soon. We're just going to more than double the cost of the ticket for a vacation you never took because you want to get home, right?" They waived the $200. They charged the change fare. The best part is that she didn't ask if I wanted econ comfort (booked on original return) or just main cabin and booked the econ comfort, took pmt, and then explained there were cheaper seats after being on the phone for THIRTY MINUTES. My friends were on and off the phone within 10 minutes.

The only reason Delta exists is because people with company expense accts don't care what they spend. Delta takes advantage.

They just aren't for personal travelers who don't already have loads of status.

People are snobs about SW. I love it. Not a huge fan of the check-in process / order, but not sure what would be another impartial, better way. For what they are trying to accomplish it works.

We have a companion pass on SW. It is unlimited use. We are going to the Dominican Republic in December for our 10 year.

Points are racked on both airlines the same way. Cost on Delta, 42,000 SkyMiles. Cost on SW, 22,000 points. Is Delta really worth double!?!

Since we have a companion pass our total cost for TWO tickets is the 22,000 pts. Could you imagine flying on Delta for 11,000 SkyMiles per ticket?

Old 10-30-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
I'm sure United and American passengers feel the same way when they have to fly into LAX.
United has a beautiful terminal at LAX. I don't know about American.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
People are snobs about SW. I love it. Not a huge fan of the check-in process / order, but not sure what would be another impartial, better way. For what they are trying to accomplish it works.
I have no problem with Southwest's boarding process because they give you the option to drop $35 if you want to go to the front of the line.

I also don't mind Spirit because even though it's no frills, you can get seats with a ton of legroom for $40 extra. That brings the price up to other airlines, but you're sitting in great seats. You just have to pay for snacks, but even Delta just gives you a Coke and a weenie bag of pretzels on domestic flights, so who cares?

The point is, these airlines give you the option to BUY a better experience if you want it. Delta doesn't even give you the option, the only way to get a better experience is to earn it by flying with them a ton. Or to pay an absolutely ridiculous amount.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:39 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,826,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Yes.

And in all fairness to LAX, it's not a Delta-only hub. I'm sure United and American passengers feel the same way when they have to fly into LAX.
Delta also recently relocated and is in the middle of reconstructing their new terminals at LAX. LAX does suck right now but I am holding judgment until construction is done. Actually last time I was thru LAX they were still in Terminals 5 & 6.

https://news.delta.com/delta-los-ang...ta-sky-way-lax

Same with LGA. I was there a few weeks ago and that new airport is already going vertical. Crazy how they are rebuilding the entire airport while it continues to operate.

But yeah, if you don't fly with them regularly and have status I don't think it is reasonable to expect an airline to offer both the lowest price and waive their change fees. Good luck with the Frontiers and Spirit's of the world. If you fly regularly you will find airline seats are not just a commodity. I still fly other airlines some too. But cannot think of a better US airline than Delta. Southwest 10 years ago maybe. I was thrilled with they bought Airtran and came to ATL. But after flying them some more it is clear they lost their mojo and are rarely the cheapest anymore either.

Easy enough to bash and complain. But who are y'all thinking does it better than Delta?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: