U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 01:52 PM

43 posts, read 198,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I would definitely make a case for (city of) Decatur here...I lived without a car here for four months and was fine...I actually lost about 10 pounds walking everywhere!

Also, check out Citi-Data's Top 101 lists...it will show you that Decatur has the second highest per-capita % of (likely) lesbian couples in the nation.

Could you PM me, Lovin? I haven't figured out how to use this forum yet. I would definitely love to talk to you more about Decatur...it sounds like a great city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 02:57 AM

702 posts, read 2,834,671 times
I've lived in both places and I agree with almost everyone that you do really need a car in Atlanta unless your job is by a MARTA station and you live near a MARTA station. Decatur is probably the most walkable of Atlanta's neighborhoods, but to tell you the truth it is nowhere near as walkable as the towns in the Boston area. I would definitely consider some other city with better public transportation.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:10 AM

7,859 posts, read 15,200,106 times
Former Boston area resident now living in the Atlanta suburbs. I admit I don't spend much time inside the perimiter now, but I did live here previously for 10 years and know the area pretty well.

Transit is available here, but it is not as useful or extensive as the "T". Walking is possible in the major areas downtown, midtown, and Buckhead, but drivers DO NOT yield to pedestrians, sidewalks may not available in other areas, and you take much more of a chance of walking in the wrong area and being the victim of crime.

Politically, Atlanta is NOT Boston, which was part of why I left Boston. If you like the ultra-left politics and prefer that type of politically correct environment, then even ITP you still may be disappointed. The City of Atlanta is more liberal by Georgia standards, but might still be considered conservative by Boston and Cambridge standards.

The weather is nice in winter, with a change of seasons, some cold nights, a chance of a dusting once or twice a year, and the remaining days in the 40s, 50s, or 60s. Fall and spring are like summer in New England, with warm and dry days in the 60s, 70s, or 80s. Summer in GA is hot and humid in the 80's, 90s, or even 100s, but everywhere is air conditioned. It's not like New England where the heat/humidity is a nightmare because no one has A/C.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:07 PM

4 posts, read 6,266 times
I actually think that you are on the right track with regards to looking at ATL as your possible future home. You said that you have a degree in Journalism and P.R. and Atlanta has TONS of opportunities for someone in those fields. However, if you did want to continue working as a nanny, there are lots of opportunites in that field as well...I actually used to work as a nanny and could give you some wonderful resources to look into. Also plenty of opportunities in the education field.

I think that the people in Atlanta are some of the friendliest in the country. I have traveled all over and always love coming home to all of the warm smiles, head nods, and "how are yas'"!
With regard to your open homosexuality, I think you would love the Piedmont Park area! Right in the heart of Midtown, Atlanta, the Piedmont Park area has a great vibe and is in direct route of the MARTA transit system (which runs through the entire city) and there are lots of rental opportunities. I have quite a few gay friends and they all live and work around the area...and LOVE it! My husband and I go to the park quite often to walk or picnic, it's really beautiful. Summer is extremely hot, but it is a great trade off to have such mild winters.

I agree with others who recommend that you visit the city and possibly rent for a while before deciding on a permanent move. Good Luck and Best Wishes to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or