Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 01:23 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
if it's not base on commuting patterns then it's not a metropolitan in the first place there litteally no other way to define it.
Sure there is.

Quote:
a "Metropolitan" and conurbation are not same thing.
I disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 02:01 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,097,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Anywhere within Atlanta's MSA that has significant suburban development counts as "Atlanta," IMO.

What differentiates NYC from Atlanta is density. NYC's suburban development simply doesn't go nearly as far out from the center as Atlanta's, since a significant portion of the population lives in NYC proper.
That's not true NYC city limits is more than Twice the city limits area of Atlanta. I mention this before if Atlanta had the city limits area the size of NYC, Chicago, LA and Houston. Norcross to Alpharetta to Marietta would all be inside the city. This why outside parts of outside the city identified as Atlanta. So even though the city is 134 sq mi culturally act is if it's 300 to 400 sq mi. It's not the entire metro. This common for cities with small city limits vs large.

Of course Atlanta is no where as dense as NY, not just Atlanta but no other US city can compare. This make all US cities "secondary cities" if your going to compare to New York. Which not what article is doing.

Also incorrect NY MSA sprawls more then Atlanta. Atlanta total MSA is 10,000 sq mi, New York MSA is 13,000 sq mi. So NY suburban development actually go further out than Atlanta.

But NY aside you doing exactly what I thought you were, your making an assumption because Sunbelt cities have larger MSA areas, your assuming Atlanta population and size is distorted. When actually even if you took Atlanta exurbs counties away and as I stated metro Atlanta was reduced to Boston MSA sq mi, Atlanta would be bigger.

Last edited by chiatldal; 11-13-2018 at 02:09 AM..

Old 11-13-2018, 02:04 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,097,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Sure there is.

I disagree.
It's not an opinion, and for you or me to disagree with. A metropolitan is base on commuting ties, your stating what called conurbations.

Old 11-13-2018, 02:22 AM

Quote:
That's not true NYC city limits is more than Twice the city limits area of Atlanta.
No one's talking about city limits.

Quote:
Also incorrect NY MSA sprawls more then Atlanta. Atlanta total MSA is 10,000 sq mi, New York MSA is 13,000 sq mi.
Can you please provide a source for those numbers?

Quote:
...make all US cities "secondary cities" if your going to compare to New York. Which not what article is doing...
It may not have been the best written article, but some of you are intentionally taking it out of context for whatever reason. That context is people are moving out of huge, expensive megapolises for smaller, cheaper regions.

Old 11-13-2018, 02:24 AM

Quote:
It's not an opinion...
Yes it is, and I disagree with it.

There are multiple ways to define the size of a region, as the MSA definition has its flaws.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:18 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Y'all,

Everyone knows that roughly 40 miles from CoA is still "Atlanta".

The problem is that some of y'all are comparing "Atlanta" to the wrong places.

Whether you call it "Atlanta" or "The Atlanta Region"...a better comparison would be to "Chicago" or "Chicagoland".

Chicagoland
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicag...ea#Chicagoland

This is not a new concept.
- Chicago city proper has a much larger all the city on a true city-wide street-grid.
- Some suburbs continued it or similar minus the alleys.
- Suburban region compared yes.
- Atlanta's area on a true street-grid is small.
- It chose not to continue it and developers left to build the streets basically and funnel all to the expressway network.
- Chicagoland/Metro/CSA ...... are basically the same. The CSA adds only some more rural areas.

CORPORATE AMERICA steers the migration south for lower to no corporate taxes to lower pay-rates and lucrative state and local incentives. A plus is mild winters.

Nasa photo of metros-Chicago's grid

Last edited by DavePa; 07-20-2019 at 12:48 AM..

Old 11-13-2018, 07:12 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
- Chicago city proper has a much larger all the city on a true city-wide street-grid.
- It chose not to continue it and developers left to build the streets basically and funnel all to the expressway network.
- Chicagoland/Metro/CSA ...... are basically the same. The CSA adds only some more rural areas.

CORPORATE AMERICA steers the migration south for lower to no corporate taxes to lower pay-rates and lucrative state and local incentives. A plus is mild winters.

Nasa photo of metros-Chicago's grid
How many times do you feel the need to repeat all of this?

Yes, we all know Chicago is on a grid. I'll repeat myself for the 100th time, the core of Atlanta is as well. Due to topography, outside of that area it simply wouldn't work here.

What part of this do you not understand?

Old 11-13-2018, 08:32 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
How many times do you feel the need to repeat all of this?

Yes, we all know Chicago is on a grid. I'll repeat myself for the 100th time, the core of Atlanta is as well. Due to topography, outside of that area it simply wouldn't work here.

What part of this do you not understand?
I responded to a post likening Atlanta to Chicago and term Chicagoland in reasons that there is as a Atlanta-land too I saw inferred. I noted Atlanta has a small portion of the city on a grid. I know the core is. Noting the city did NOT choose this to continue the city's growth. Chicago did and developers had to follow. Even very early street-car suburbs it absorbed did.

It was the post I chose to give my opinion on the topic of -- Corporate America steers our migrations. Florida and Cali was clearly weather reason migrations heavily for most part. AND a huh no..... Chicago is NOT more Atlanta then mighty NYC. Suburbs you could compare and simply put.

We are to give some back-up to our claims we post. So on street-grid scope .... I did.

I must keep my post few here or threats come, and as a Northerner..... my head is not spinning on cities that might have won Amazon as you noted once ..... would if Atlanta won.

No more post on replies. I clearly got the memo unwelcome last time. But Chicago brought in .... lured me to as i note Atlanta has only its early portion as in a grid.
Quote:

Clear and to the point. I also do not see Atlanta as a secondary city. It is a PRIMARY city in the South and Sunbelt as is Chicago in its region. I'd call Nashville and Charlotte secondary.

Nashville I've read is getting 5000 Amazon jobs as its East-Coast Hub of Operations .... good for them. The end.....

Last edited by DavePa; 11-13-2018 at 08:58 AM..

Old 11-13-2018, 09:34 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
I responded to a post likening Atlanta to Chicago and term Chicagoland in reasons that there is as a Atlanta-land too I saw inferred. I noted Atlanta has a small portion of the city on a grid. I know the core is. Noting the city did NOT choose this to continue the city's growth.
As you have been told countless times, imposing a grid on Metro Atlanta would destroy the beauty of the place.

You have obviously never been here.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:19 AM

651 posts, read 475,484 times
Quote:
That's not true NYC city limits is more than Twice the city limits area of Atlanta. I mention this before if Atlanta had the city limits area the size of NYC, Chicago, LA and Houston. Norcross to Alpharetta to Marietta would all be inside the city. This why outside parts of outside the city identified as Atlanta. So even though the city is 134 sq mi culturally act is if it's 300 to 400 sq mi. It's not the entire metro. This common for cities with small city limits vs large.

This is a wrap.

People need to stop shaming people for claiming they live in Atlanta just because they live in one of the suburb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta