Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 10:47 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
My problem with this system is that nothing connects to anything else. Unless the stations are going to interconnect with existing stations you are stuck out on the road when you get off at the terminus. What if you wanted to travel from Miami to Seattle? Right now it is a pain, but this would be much worse.

No one is going to take a train (going less than 500mph) from Miami to Seattle. The disconnected network is fine. The other connections can just take other modes like flying.

For example, when I first went to Japan 20 years ago we flew in and out of Tokyo but then connected via local transit onto the bullet train Kyoto, our final destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 11:44 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,520,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconographer View Post
i would gladly sleep with sir richard branson for an atlanta to savannah route.
word?

Old 12-06-2018, 12:45 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
My problem with this system is that nothing connects to anything else. Unless the stations are going to interconnect with existing stations you are stuck out on the road when you get off at the terminus. What if you wanted to travel from Miami to Seattle? Right now it is a pain, but this would be much worse.
Currently all 3 BrightLine stations are located in the historic downtowns of WPB, FTL, and MIA with connections to each's local transit service. Miami's BrightLine station is connected to MIA via Metrorail.
Orlando's future BrightLine station will be located at a new intermodal station at MCO, which will is planned to connect to Orlando's commuter rail network, SunRail.

Old 12-06-2018, 02:27 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,032,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
No one is going to take a train (going less than 500mph) from Miami to Seattle. The disconnected network is fine. The other connections can just take other modes like flying.

For example, when I first went to Japan 20 years ago we flew in and out of Tokyo but then connected via local transit onto the bullet train Kyoto, our final destination.
I'm ok with just an Atlanta to Savannah route. Let's just take care of Georgia. Who cares about the other states.

Old 12-06-2018, 02:37 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I'm ok with just an Atlanta to Savannah route. Let's just take care of Georgia. Who cares about the other states.
Connecting 2 of the SE biggest cities and economic engines to each other is more attractive to a private, for-profit company than Savannah to Atlanta.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:40 PM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
Quote:

Well, I am a retiree and I would. In fact, DH and I have taken train trips from Houston to Seattle, via LA, and other long distance trips, just for the sightseeing and enjoyable nature of something less akin to a cattle car trip. I think these options aren't for those people who are working, naturally. No one has that kind of time anymore when they are working. But there is a growing population of retirees and other people who have enough time and who would relish travel that is more stress-free than flying has grown to be.

Old 12-06-2018, 04:29 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times
Quote:
Well, I am a retiree and I would. In fact, DH and I have taken train trips from Houston to Seattle, via LA, and other long distance trips, just for the sightseeing and enjoyable nature of something less akin to a cattle car trip. I think these options aren't for those people who are working, naturally. No one has that kind of time anymore when they are working. But there is a growing population of retirees and other people who have enough time and who would relish travel that is more stress-free than flying has grown to be.

Well, if time is not a concern you can book a ticket from Atlanta to Seattle leaving tomorrow on Amtrak. You just will not arrive until next Tuesday (110h of travel time).

Old 12-06-2018, 04:50 PM

234 posts, read 143,967 times
Quote:
Well, if time is not a concern you can book a ticket from Atlanta to Seattle leaving tomorrow on Amtrak. You just will not arrive until next Tuesday (110h of travel time).
Or fly to Chicago then take a train west! I hear that route is gorgeous

Old 12-06-2018, 04:56 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
word?
Bring it, big boy.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:01 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
Quote:
Well, that is the whole point! I have taken those trips but it is not germane to the problem, which is, how to get people to use these new systems so that they will pay for themselves. One way is to make sure they go to more than just one place and can connect with existing lines so that they are flexible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta