Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 08:25 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times

Advertisements

Oh, please. I was going to write something about how there are over 12,000 churches in Georgia, and so a lot of those buildings could and should be converted to plenty of other things (such as libraries, clinics, community centers, homes, etc), but the crowd here is a bunch of head-in-the-sand types, so there's really no point in saying anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2018, 09:26 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Oh, please. I was going to write something about how there are over 12,000 churches in Georgia, and so a lot of those buildings could and should be converted to plenty of other things (such as libraries, clinics, community centers, homes, etc), but the crowd here is a bunch of head-in-the-sand types, so there's really no point in saying anything.
So why did you? And that was not where your previous comment was leading at all, as you well know.

Old 11-22-2018, 09:36 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Most Atlantans must have been Methodist 50 years ago. There are so many congregations in that area. Druid Hills and Glenn Memorial in Druid Hills, Epworth in Candler Park, Grace in midtown, Haygood in Virginia Highlands, Decatur 1st and North Decatur in Decatur, Oak Grove in Oak Grove, the recently closed Briarcliff just beyond Lakeside HS, Patillo in Avondale. Probably a few I'm not aware of. There are also quite a few north of I-85 and in downtown and in Buckhead.
This is because of the early influx of Methodist circuit riders into upcountry Georgia in the late 1700's and early 1800's. Their early mission was to bring the gospel to the indigenous Cherokee population. Along the way, they established churches, many of which are still around today. In addition, many of the early land grantees offered the Methodists parcels on which to build these churches. My g-g-g-g-g-grandfather did this in 1828, and the church established there is still an active congregation.

Home

Old 11-22-2018, 10:12 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Great to see such a large parcel being returned to the city's property tax rolls.

Old 11-22-2018, 10:10 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,362,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Great to see such a large parcel being returned to the city's property tax rolls.

Agreed!

Old 11-22-2018, 10:15 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,362,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Maybe they all suddenly became aware that astronomy exists, revealing that we don't live in a geocentric universe. I dunno.

Funny story on that. The other day someone was telling me how there are believers who still think the Earth is flat. I thought it was a joke but I guess it has to do with a denial of science...or perhaps logic/reality.

Anyway, I don't know what happened to the church but all over the country people should not be shocked to hear about more and more churches being closed. This may hold true especially in the Bible Belt where there are churches galore.

Old 11-23-2018, 10:29 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Most Atlantans must have been Methodist 50 years ago. There are so many congregations in that area. Druid Hills and Glenn Memorial in Druid Hills, Epworth in Candler Park, Grace in midtown, Haygood in Virginia Highlands, Decatur 1st and North Decatur in Decatur, Oak Grove in Oak Grove, the recently closed Briarcliff just beyond Lakeside HS, Patillo in Avondale. Probably a few I'm not aware of. There are also quite a few north of I-85 and in downtown and in Buckhead.
Practically every town in Georgia will have a First Baptist and First UMC congregation in the center of town, many times side by side. The two predominant denominations in this state for decades.

Old 11-23-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
"Sunday worship at Druid Hills UMC began like most Palm Sundays, but it held a greater meaning for a church that would soon celebrate Easter Sunday as a brand new church, merging with Epworth UMC in Candler Park. In fact, the congregation will temporarily be called New Church."

https://www.ngumc.org/newsdetail/dru...ervice-4210135

Very bittersweet for me; this was my home church growing up, and three generations of my family were members there.
That is sad. My best fried from high school pastored several North Georgia UMC churches. He is now the area grand poobah for the UMC (whatever title they hold) for the Augusta area. His last charge was First UMC Norcross. They have a sanctuary that can hold 2000 and had dwindled down to 200 most Sundays.

Glad that there is a merger happening. Here's to a successful merger and even a better impact and service in the community than the two were able to do separately.

And well done retort above to the ubiquitous atheistic evangelizing.

Old 11-23-2018, 11:00 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,100,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
That is sad. My best fried from high school pastored several North Georgia UMC churches. He is now the area grand poobah for the UMC (whatever title they hold) for the Augusta area. His last charge was First UMC Norcross. They have a sanctuary that can hold 2000 and had dwindled down to 200 most Sundays.

Glad that there is a merger happening. Here's to a successful merger and even a better impact and service in the community than the two were able to do separately.

And well done retort above to the ubiquitous atheistic evangelizing.
I know exactly who you are referring to. The best minister I have ever heard preach, hands down!

Old 11-23-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
I know exactly who you are referring to. The best minister I have ever heard preach, hands down!
Small world! Initials TF to confirm.... I will have to let him know I ran into a fan online. LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta