U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2008, 05:15 PM

3 posts, read 16,734 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I have a 7 year old son that has autism. He currently goes to a private school for children with specal needs in fayetteville. My mom is currently paying the tuition as we can not afford it. Next year she will not be able to do and we will have to foot the bill ourselves.
We are also expecting our second child (girl) on August 5, 08.
Needless to say we are going to need financial assistance in paying for my son's tuition.
To top it off, we live in Clayton County, GA and if you live in the Atlanta area, you know that clayton county schools is in risk of losing its accreditation. Sending my son back to clayton county is not an option.

Does anyone know of any grants, scholarships, etc. that will help pay for his tuition.

Thank you,
Dee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 06:18 AM

3,972 posts, read 11,277,842 times
Dee

GA has special needs scholarships but you must spend in a year in public school. See here...

Georgia Department of Education - Policy (http://www.gadoe.org/sb10.aspx - broken link)

The bill that would have given vouchers to Clayton County students failed on the last day of the session. (I believe this is because Fayette and Henry legislators killed it even though the bill said may accept the student not that they had to.)

Have you spoken with the school?

How severe are your child's needs? Could you homeschool him for a year? If so, you could enroll in GA's virtual charter school, get him an IEP and then the following year you would eligible for the scholarships.

Georgia Virtual Academy

Old 04-07-2008, 05:26 AM

Default Grants/Scholarships for my son that has autism

Hello lastminutemom,
Thank you so much for your reply.
My son does receive the SB10 scholarship; however, it only pays for barely 5% of his tuition.

I obviously need a lot more than that and I have been calling, emailing everywhere to find someone that will help pay for his tuition.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:09 AM

IF you have SB 10, you should be able to transfer him to a public school with no out of pocket costs but transportation. Of course, finding a system that will take him may be a challenge.

Have you spoken with Jeff in the SB 10 office? He is suppose to be very nice. I also think there is another staff person now.

Do you know of any Fayette or Henry County programs that would work for your son?

If so, I might inquire with the state about the process of transferring into those programs.

I am sorry I don't know much about grants for individuals.

Have you inquired at the school?

The other problem, long term, is that you will need this aid ongoing, I am guessing. This is why a public school transfer might work for you.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:12 PM

68 posts, read 482,386 times
do you know of autism/aba private schools?

i've only found one...

thanks

Old 04-15-2008, 03:49 PM

Hello,

Where do you live?
My son's school is an ABA participant..

Please let me know.
email removed

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 04-01-2011 at 10:19 PM..

Old 04-18-2008, 08:27 AM

1 posts, read 5,502 times
Default Parent in Clayton County

Hi - I live in Clayton county so I know what you mean. My daughter has Down syndrome and I am looking to put her in a private school in Fayetteville as well. I got a call from them on yesterday informing me that she was awarded $2,943 in scholarship money and I don't know how much the SB 10 will for this year. So, I will be responsible for the remaining balance which will be about $9,000 to $10,000. I can't afford that, I am a single parent and I DO NOT want her back in Clayton county public school system.

There is another school located in Griffin, Stepping Stones. I have spoken with them and another parent who's son attends. It would be an option for me but I work in Midtown and it just will be a bit much. Try them and see if they will meet your sons needs. Their tuition is only about $6,000 a year. I wish I could send my daughter there and now I've paid the $300 fee for the school in Fayetteville so I would lose that all together.

Let me know if you contact Stepping Stones and what you think of them.

Take care

Old 05-26-2008, 08:57 PM

64 posts, read 247,583 times
Default Vouchers for special needs students

Check with the Georgia dept. of Education. I believe the governor passed a law making vouchers available to special needs students to attend private school when public education cannot meet their needs. Good luck!

Old 03-01-2012, 08:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,657 times
Default mom who needs help

I have a 8year old son with autism and he needs help in school. He is going to a henry county school right now but it not working,becacause he needs that one on one attn. I think if he went to a private school he could get that attn. Someone help because i cant afford it on my own, so thats why i need a grant.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:26 PM

go to this website...

I presume your child has an IEP, right?

Special Needs Scholarship Program
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or