Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 09:40 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
“That’s Not My Job”

This is a story about four people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody and Nobody. There was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it. Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it. Somebody got angry about that, because it was Everybody’s job. Everybody thought Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn’t do it. It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have.
Great point!!

And if people don't want to personally pick up trash (or refrain from throwing it on the ground in the first place), the very least they can do is send money to the Conservancy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 12:17 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,939,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
In Midtown there are ~40,000 full time residents, 30,000 students, 150,000 office workers, and ever fluctuating amount of tourists crammed in to a 3 square mile area every day. There is going to be trash where it shouldn't be no matter how hard you try.

It's not even about how clean people are either. In a neighborhood such as this there are hundreds of sidewalk trash receptacles. If a strong gust of wind comes by anything loose can fly out and be on it's way down the street. The person that left the trash in the receptacle did the right thing when they put it there, are they to be blamed that circumstances outside their control?

Here's the thing though, EVERY city is like this. Whenever you have a high concentration of humans in one place there will be trash. The only city I've ever been to that had a good handle on it was Singapore, but I still saw refuse everywhere and in order to get to the level of cleanliness they do have they take insane authoritarian measures to ensure compliance.

I think we can deal with a little trash in exchange for not living in a dictatorship.

Not a bad idea about using MLK Day for service projects, and this would go a long way to improving an area.

But the whole "Broken Windows" theory about reducing crime is junk science. The only thing that theorem proves is that if you gentrify an area poor folks are pushed out.

As always this is an overly simplistic view of the situation. Yeah, I could do that, but that wouldn't do much to end things. But please by all means be the first to pick up the Wendy's bag full of junkie dookie.
Stop misusing this thread.

Inordinate amounts of litter is an Atlanta thing in 2018.

Drive down Ponce right now from Krispy Kreme to Blvd. Only Atlanta residents think several large visible pieces of trash in every parking lot, in every grassy area is normal.

Manhattan in 2018 is so clean there aren't 5 pieces of discarded litter on the island. You could eat off the sidewalks.

Every intown gas station has litter strewn all over the parking lot. It's an Atlanta condition, some other cities here and there yes, but Atlanta is blanketed because no one is overseeing conditions.

You live in Buckhead and that is not what intown looks like as far as litter.

To contest my saying pickup a big piece or plastic bag flying through the air, is the red flag.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:29 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Manhattan in 2018 is so clean there aren't 5 pieces of discarded litter on the island. You could eat off the sidewalks.

I was up there in June and large sections of Midtown (particularly in the 40s just east of Times Square) were disgusting.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:21 AM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
I was up there in June and large sections of Midtown (particularly in the 40s just east of Times Square) were disgusting.
Yeah. I've been there in 2018. Manhattan is pretty trashy. Maybe not down by Wall St., but much of the rest. And it smells BAD with all the trash out on the sidewalk.

That doesn't invalidate his point. Atlanta has lots of litter for a city that doesn't have 30,000 people per square mile.

Old 12-10-2018, 03:23 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Back in the day when I lived in Midtown, whenever we walked the pups, we always took a plastic grocery bag with us to use in picking up trash. If everyone were to do this, a lot of trash would be picked up.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:27 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Yeah. I've been there in 2018. Manhattan is pretty trashy. Maybe not down by Wall St., but much of the rest. And it smells BAD with all the trash out on the sidewalk.
Yeah, I'm not sure what alternate reality Manhattan they were in. I'm guessing they're the kind of person that goes to NYC and only stays in Times Square...which I'm guessing it pretty clean. I haven't actually been in Times Square since the 80s so i wouldn't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
That doesn't invalidate his point. Atlanta has lots of litter for a city that doesn't have 30,000 people per square mile.
I know this is city-data and residential population density is the only thing that matters, but you are wrong in you assessment. During the day, Downtown and Midtown has an average population of about 300,000 to 400,000 crammed in to about 7 square miles. Just because those people don't live there doesn't mean they don't make a mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta