Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 08:59 AM

21 posts, read 42,971 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am interested in buying a 1BR in the Mid/Downtown areas and, as most of you guys know I'm sure, most condo buildings have really high HOA fees. I used to live in Miami Beach where HOA tend to be high as well.
I am planning to live in the condo but naturally, I also consider my futur purchase as an investment.

How does one justify the high monthly HOA fees? Most monthly fee include high speed internet, insurance and up keep of the building but that seems like such a lot of money for not so much in return.
Alternatively, I am thinking of buying a flat in a smaller building with lower HOA fees albeit without the spectacular view one might get in a high rise.

Do owners living in high rise condos, simply consider those high fees as a cost associated to this type of lifestyle (centrally located, view)?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 09:45 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,999 times
If you have to ask. You not ready to live in one in the city.

Old 11-23-2018, 01:11 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
The HOA fees are set by the Condo board and are used to pay for all the upkeep to the building. That is where most of the fess go. All those hallways, elevators, central utilities, common areas, and amenities are expensive to keep up.

You should be able to get a hold of the condo association budget and see the details of what is being spent. You will also want to make sure they have a good reserve too and be aware of the potential for "special assessments" which can easily run five-figures for each owner. Those are to cover things like the unexpected replacement of all the exterior siding of the building or an unplanned remodel of the lobby.

Old 11-23-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
If you have to ask. You not ready to live in one in the city.
Thank you for a constructive reply. After 17 years in Paris, 12 in Sunny Isles beach and 5 in Dubai marina, and thanks to your brilliant advice, I guess Ill look for a property in farmland Nebraska. Thanks again!

Old 11-23-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
The HOA fees are set by the Condo board and are used to pay for all the upkeep to the building. That is where most of the fess go. All those hallways, elevators, central utilities, common areas, and amenities are expensive to keep up.

You should be able to get a hold of the condo association budget and see the details of what is being spent. You will also want to make sure they have a good reserve too and be aware of the potential for "special assessments" which can easily run five-figures for each owner. Those are to cover things like the unexpected replacement of all the exterior siding of the building or an unplanned remodel of the lobby.
Thanks for the reply. I own a studio in Miami Beach and the HOA did precisely that.. Increase reserves through a special assesment.
After two years, they are back to a very reasonable $230 per month but the building has nothing fancy... No pool tables, no 24 hrs concierge etc... Just a basic pool and maintenance.
I stayed away from investing in fancy condo buildings because of the high HOA fees.

For example there are several 1br's available in midtown with 600$ of hoa fees. Supposedly including all utilities and high speed internet.
That's probably $50-60 for internet, 50$ for water, heating/cooling -70-80$ per month yearly average?
And insurance maybe another 50$-$100 per month?
So really, when compared to a single family home, it's about $300 for HOA fees related to upkeep , concierge etc...
Am I missing something?

Thanks again.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:19 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saviboy View Post
So really, when compared to a single family home, it's about $300 for HOA fees related to upkeep , concierge etc...
It all just depends on the condo building. Some include things like internet, trash, gym, pool, etc with the HOA. Some don't.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:35 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,965,100 times
"How does one justify the high monthly HOA fees?"
one can justify just about anything.

Old 11-24-2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
"How does one justify the high monthly HOA fees?"
one can justify just about anything.
Another great contribution. Thanks!

Old 11-24-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
It all just depends on the condo building. Some include things like internet, trash, gym, pool, etc with the HOA. Some don't.
Thanks for the reply. I'm realizing that as I research

Old 11-24-2018, 09:36 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
I've never heard of a condo building in Atlanta issue a special assessment through increased dues for a set amount of time. Usually what they do is make everyone pay a massive lump sum because they want to keep actual dues as low as possible to look better to potential buyers. Around here, once dues go up... They ain't never coming back down. At least that's what I've been told, some buildings may be different. I had one friend who had to take out a $10,000 loan because the parking garage in his building needed some massive repair and they assessed everyone (people in 2 bedrooms l got hit for $20,000, I believe).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: