Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 09:28 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahtikan View Post
east northport....I know there are areas that are more diverse but if we are going to move it will be somewhere warmer as well.
East Northport has to be at least 90-95% white. Great area but hardly diverse even for LI.

But if you take a “white” area in the Atlanta suburbs like Alpharetta, which has strong employment and low crime, you still have much more diversity. And becoming more so.

There’s still a lot of info missing. Job/career? Why Atlanta specifically? I moved from the north shore of LI east of you and love it, but everyone has their own reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 12:38 PM

14 posts, read 25,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
East Northport has to be at least 90-95% white. Great area but hardly diverse even for LI.
we had hoped we would have seen more diversity over the 5 years we been here but that hasnt happened. Also the view my daughter is having also is playing a factor.

But if you take a “white” area in the Atlanta suburbs like Alpharetta, which has strong employment and low crime, you still have much more diversity. And becoming more so.

There’s still a lot of info missing. Job/career? Why Atlanta specifically? I moved from the north shore of LI east of you and love it, but everyone has their own reasons.[/quote]

i am disabled from a construction accident so income is limited now.

Old 12-02-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
we had hoped we would have seen more diversity over the 5 years we been here but that hasnt happened. Also the view my daughter is having also is playing a factor.

There’s still a lot of info missing. Job/career? Why Atlanta specifically? I moved from the north shore of LI east of you and love it, but everyone has their own reasons.

i am disabled from a construction accident so income is limited now.[/quote]

Sorry to hear about your issue.

The challenge I think you are going to face is that Atlanta is more diverse further in, but expensive with higher crime (relatively).

Further out it’s less expensive but less diverse - either vast majority white or black.

You may want to consider other locations as work isn’t a primary driver for you.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:52 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,242,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Well you certainly came to the right city and metro area if you wanted your family to be exposed to more diversity!

A home purchasing budget of $500k certainly will go much further in Atlanta and North Georgia than probably almost anywhere in New York, including where you currently live on Long Island.

The weather also is much nicer in Atlanta and North Georgia during the winter than it is on Long Island.

The only real downside to living in the Atlanta metro area is a glaring lack of transportation infrastructure that is available to serve an exploding population in many areas.

The same type of transit infrastructure that you might be used to either utilizing or just simply seeing on Long Island (like Long Island Railroad commuter trains, etc) will largely be non-existent in the Atlanta metro area/region, particularly outside of the I-285 Perimeter highway that encircles the urban core of the Atlanta metro area.

It is because of the severe (and even acute) lack of multimodal transportation infrastructure (including an adequate road network in many areas) that many prospective newcomers to the Atlanta area are most often very strongly advised to first know where they will be commuting to and from work on Atlanta's undersized and largely one-dimensional metropolitan transportation network so that they will know where to look for housing in areas that will be as convenient as possible to where they might be working.

With that said, while Atlanta may have only a fraction of the population of the greater New York/New Jersey metropolitan area/region, Atlanta is still a pretty large (especially geographically) metro area in its own right and particularly by the standards of a historically sparsely populated Southeastern U.S. region.

Depending on where you might be commuting to and from work on Atlanta's constrained metropolitan transportation network and depending on what type of environment you want to live in (urban, suburban, exurban, etc), some areas that might interest you could include:

> Gwinnett County, one of the most diverse suburban counties which is served by the generally highly-rated Gwinnett County Public Schools system and the very small independent Buford City Schools system.

Gwinnett County has transformed from being a community with a population that was 96% white nearly four decades ago, to being a community with a population that is currently about 63% minority.

Of the 19 school clusters in the Gwinnett County Public Schools system, only two (North Gwinnett and Mill Creek) still (barely) have majority-white populations, the other 17 school clusters have majority-minority populations, almost all by overwhelming margins.

> Much of Cobb and North Fulton counties also feature some of the best and most highest-rated public schools in Georgia and the entire Southeastern U.S.

The Cobb County School District just recently became a 'majority-minority' school system where minority children appear to make up the majority of the student body in the school system, while the North Fulton portion of the Fulton County Schools system has multiple areas that either already are 'majority-minority' or are trending heavily towards 'majority-minority' status.

> On the Southside, the Fayette County school system is by far the standout school system of the greater Southern Crescent (the part of the Atlanta metro area/region below the Interstate 20 corridor that generally divides north from south). The Sandy Creek and Fayette County high school clusters are 'majority-minority' while the other three clusters are majority-white.

> Henry County is a generally average to slightly above-average school system in a county that is continues to trend heavily 'majority-minority' that features a couple of standout clusters in the Union Grove and Ola high school clusters.

> If you are looking for a more 'urban' living experience (by the standards of a heavily suburban-oriented Atlanta metro area/region), you could look for housing in the popular urban core neighborhoods of the Jackson, Grady and North Atlanta high school clusters of the Atlanta Public Schools system.

> The highly-rated Decatur City Schools system (which is independent of the larger DeKalb County School District system) also provides an excellent urban living option in the popular and high-demand urban village area inside of the City of Decatur proper.

> The DeKalb County School District system offers some generally really good (and ultra-diverse) inner-suburban/urban public school options in the Dunwoody, Chamblee, Cross Keys, Druid Hills and Lakeside high school clusters.
Man, the LIRR is HORRIBLE. They wont be missing that at least....but props to your other points....

Old 12-02-2018, 08:49 PM

651 posts, read 475,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post

Sorry to hear about your issue.

The challenge I think you are going to face is that Atlanta is more diverse further in, but expensive with higher crime (relatively).

Further out it’s less expensive but less diverse - either vast majority white or black.

You may want to consider other locations as work isn’t a primary driver for you.
This is so wrong.

In general the suburbs are way more diverse than the city proper. Why are you spreading lies?

Old 12-02-2018, 10:58 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,467 times
Quote:
We currently live in a predominately white middle class neighborhood in Long Island, NY with very little diversity. The lack of diversity is beginning to affect my family esp. my daughter as she has stated that she wishes their were more "brown" people in her school. Because of this, cold weather and other circumstances we are thinking of moving to Atlanta area. We would like to live in an area that is a good mixture of cultures, good schools and very family oriented . Our housing budget is around 500K

Any help and insight would be greatly appreciated.
Be careful what you wish for? The issue you are running into (as I'm sure you're well aware) is the existing correlation between race and wealth/income. I don't know where on Long island you live, but based on your post I will guess either Nassau or Suffolk county which are 73% and 80% white. This is not all that far off from some of the more affluent areas around the Atlanta metro (some are more white, some are less). The northern suburbs in Atlanta have had a growing asian presence for a long time now (is that what you mean by brown?).... but be warned that there is a STEEP drop off in terms of diversity once you get about 90 minutes outside the city in every direction.

Nowhere in the USA is as diverse as NYC (I think Queens is the most diverse place in north america except for Toronto), and while Atlanta is hardly a backwater hick town you will certainly be trading down in terms of culture, amenities, attractions, etc.

That being said, the pace of life, lower population density, lower costs and overall less everyday stress in Atlanta is like a breath of fresh air compared to NYC.

Its hard to say what I would do in your shoes. Without knowing what kind of diversity you're looking for, it might be worth considering metros other than Atlanta depending on what you are looking for.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:47 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
This is so wrong.

In general the suburbs are way more diverse than the city proper. Why are you spreading lies?

you're both right. parts of the city are diverse, others are segregated, it's similar with the suburbs. here's a population density/race dot map.

green = individuals who marked 'black' on census form
blue = individuals who marked 'white' on census form
red = individuals who marked 'asian' on census form
orange = individuals who marked 'hispanic' on census form
brown = marked something else on census form (native american, multi-racial, other race)

Source: US Census, 2010, compiled at UVA by Dustin Cable
https://demographics.coopercenter.org/racial-dot-map
Attached Thumbnails
Black family moving from ny to atlanta-pop-density-.png  

Last edited by bryantm3; 12-03-2018 at 12:02 AM..

Old 12-03-2018, 12:15 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
this data is 8 years old, btw. but to me it's a snapshot of a metro area that is generally race segregated, but has a lot of diverse areas where the lines meet. before the atlanta defense squad comes out, midwest cities like detroit, chicago, and milwaukee are much more highly segregated.

https://www.wired.com/2013/08/how-se...map-shows-you/

Old 12-03-2018, 03:36 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Be careful what you wish for? The issue you are running into (as I'm sure you're well aware) is the existing correlation between race and wealth/income. I don't know where on Long island you live, but based on your post I will guess either Nassau or Suffolk county which are 73% and 80% white. This is not all that far off from some of the more affluent areas around the Atlanta metro (some are more white, some are less). The northern suburbs in Atlanta have had a growing asian presence for a long time now (is that what you mean by brown?).... but be warned that there is a STEEP drop off in terms of diversity once you get about 90 minutes outside the city in every direction.

Nowhere in the USA is as diverse as NYC (I think Queens is the most diverse place in north america except for Toronto), and while Atlanta is hardly a backwater hick town you will certainly be trading down in terms of culture, amenities, attractions, etc.

That being said, the pace of life, lower population density, lower costs and overall less everyday stress in Atlanta is like a breath of fresh air compared to NYC.

Its hard to say what I would do in your shoes. Without knowing what kind of diversity you're looking for, it might be worth considering metros other than Atlanta depending on what you are looking for.
That is a good point that the level of diversity (and particularly the number of people/residents of color) drops off once one gets far outside of the city.

But the OP's house buying budget of up to $500k appears to get them into some of the best and most diverse school districts in metro Atlanta, Georgia and the Southeastern U.S.

With a home-buying budget of up to $500k, the OP and family will basically have their pick of which highly-affluent diverse neighborhood with excellent schools they want to move into in the Atlanta metro area/region.

It just all depends on what exact type of neighborhood the OP and family want to live in.

(Do they want to live in an urban neighborhood, an inner-suburban neighborhood, a mid-suburban neighborhood, or an outer-suburban neighborhood? Do they want to live in a neighborhood that is 70% non-Hispanic white or do they want to live in a neighborhood that is only about 30% non-Hispanic white? etc)

It also will largely depend on where in the Atlanta metro area/region the working adults in the OP's household will be commuting to and from for work each day.

Generally, the OP and family will have more of their preferred type of living option (a highly-affluent diverse neighborhood with excellent schools) available on the Northside (the area of the Atlanta region above/north of the I-20 corridor that generally divides North metro Atlanta from South metro Atlanta) just simply because there is much more population, development and high-paying employment opportunities on the Northside.

But the OP will also have some good preferred living options available on the Southside as well, particularly in parts of Fayette, Coweta and Henry counties.

It all depends on what part of the Atlanta metro area will be a good fit for their commuting situation as well as what kind of metropolitan environment they will prefer to live after relocating to an Atlanta metro area that is recognized as being the showcase city/metro of the interior Southeastern U.S.

I also think that the OP and family likely could fare really well after a move to the Atlanta area, particularly when it comes to postsecondary (college) education preparation as far the public school education for children is concerned.

That's because the Atlanta metro area is a prime and fertile recruiting target both athletically and academically for many colleges and universities from the FBS 'Power 5' conferences (SEC, ACC, Big 12, Big 10, Pac 12) to the FBS 'Group of Five' conferences (American, Conference-USA, Sunbelt, Mid-American Conference (MAC), Mountain West Conference (MWC)) to the various FCS and Division II and III schools across the nation.

With its very large, fast-growing, very influential and prominent African-American population, the Atlanta metro area/region also is particularly a prime athletic and academic recruiting target for the schools of the four primary HBCU (Historically Black Colleges and Universities) conferences, including the MEAC (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference), the SWAC (Southwestern Athletic Conference), the SIAC (Southern Athletic Collegiate Conference) and the CIAA (Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association).

If your children keep their grades up through high school and you and your family network and make and keep good contacts, there potentially will be much opportunity for your children to advance academically into postsecondary admission and/or scholarships in an Atlanta metro area/region that is prime and fertile recruiting ground for many colleges and universities of all stripes across the nation.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
This is so wrong.

I'll ignore your snarky remark and elaborate.

Atlanta as a whole is more diverse than many of the outlying areas. Take a look at say Forsyth County, which is 85% white and 2.6% black. Alpharetta is 72% white and 11.2% black.

Atlanta overall is around 54% black, 38% white.

I will acknowledge that it varies by neighborhood - Buckhead is very white and Northwest is very black.

There are areas in-between and elsewhere that are more diverse.

If I'm incorrect, please feel free to rebut so OP gets good information. Comments accusing others of "spreading lies" isn't helpful, and could be seen as an attack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta