U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2008, 04:25 PM

3,972 posts, read 11,287,748 times

Advertisements

Admissions are tough and if you didn't get waitlisted, it is likely that the school really did believe your child is a bad fit for their school. Galloway is highly sensitive about their old reputation that they take kids with behavior problems. They often look for kids with no issues for this reason.

It can't hurt to ask the admissions person for feedback.

Atlanta Girls School is considered wonderful by the people I know who go there. The biggest negative is that the kids do good from all over, which can make it difficult socially. (I know that kids come from all over at most private schools, but AGS seems to have a wider geographic distribution than others.)

Additionally, sometimes kids like your daughter do better in middle school because they have a bunch of different teachers and those teachers are use to adolescents.

Applying to financial aid shouldn't count against you, but you also can't count on getting it either.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 05:03 PM

13 posts, read 70,873 times
Thanks for the information. Yes, we have a friend mid 30's who attended Galloway "back in the day" and said it would be a perfect fit....oh well. I feel comfortable that they know what they are doing and the kids they want. I thought with applying to 3 schools and her grades/high test scores/gifted/grade advance that it would be easier to get in....? waiting to hear from the rest of the schools. Should I have talked with her current teachers on the eval forms? Certainly not all kids admitted to private schools have perfect forms?? Or am I kidding myself?? With Atlanta Girls School being so new and small I wonder if that might be an easier school to get into? Thanks!

Old 04-06-2008, 05:56 PM

10 posts, read 41,965 times
Default responses

I know that we need to chill out about the whole process, but you can't help but be a little stressed out just not knowing where your kids are going to school.

I totally agree that we are so fortunate to just have healthy kids, but you're allowed to be sweating it out a bit right now!

That being said, we have not received our letter from AIS either, so maybe they just mailed them out late. Good luck!!!

Old 04-06-2008, 06:04 PM

Midtown~thanks. where else (if anywhere)...did you apply other than AIS? I thought AIS was a pretty laid back process (more interested in the child) and perfect academics.....but I do hear it is tough and after not getting into Galloway I must admit I am a bit stressed (although not letting on to the kid)....

Old 04-06-2008, 06:09 PM

10 posts, read 41,965 times
Default re:

we applied and were rejected from Westminster. Got into Holy Spirit (Catholic school). This is for 5k, so it is a little different. AIS is statistically the hardest to get into from what I hear, but it all depends on if they think your child is a good fit for the school.

If we end up in public school, I'm fine with it. I really think it's great to be in a wonderful school, but being participatory parents who are engaged in your child's life is way more important.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:25 PM

out of curiousity I would be interested in learning what the percentage of applied/accepted rate is to some of the schools. Congrats on Holy Innocents I understand that is a good school and good luck with AIS.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:32 PM

14,426 posts, read 23,111,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawndaisey View Post
Marietta City 6th Grade Academy. I was ignorant with regards to how hard it is to get into Atlanta private schools. I thought with the ssat scores and grades we would not have any problems.....silly me. I know the drill with public schools we were believers in a public school education but have come to the realization it simply is not for every student. We still have 2 more schools to hear from......
Have you looked into the Marietta Center for Advanced Academics? I'm not sure if goes all the way up to middle school level. The middle school age level is tough all the way around. I don't think you would have a problem with a Marietta High...but you still have to get through grades 6,7, and 8.

There is a charter school in Marietta City Schools. Does it serve the middle school grade levels as well?

Old 04-06-2008, 07:37 PM

14,426 posts, read 23,111,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawndaisey View Post
out of curiousity I would be interested in learning what the percentage of applied/accepted rate is to some of the schools. Congrats on Holy Innocents I understand that is a good school and good luck with AIS.
Holy Spirit.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:27 AM

3,115 posts, read 6,692,746 times
Having gone through this process several times over the past ten years, my advice would be that if you get wait-listed somewhere that you want to go, quickly and clearly communicate with the admissions director that this their school is your top choice. You can do this by phone, email (probably preferred) or snail mail. Once the letters have gone out and the school begins to receive information back from the students that they extended admission to, the process gets quite fuzzy. Admission directors are interested in winding up the process and getting the next year's class selected as efficiently as possible. They will appreciate knowing who really wants in and who is either on the fence, or no longer interested in their school.

Good luck and stay focused. There is more than one right school for every child. Somehow, as miserable as this process is, it most often works out well in the end.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:13 AM

3,972 posts, read 11,287,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Having gone through this process several times over the past ten years, my advice would be that if you get wait-listed somewhere that you want to go, quickly and clearly communicate with the admissions director that this their school is your top choice. You can do this by phone, email (probably preferred) or snail mail. Once the letters have gone out and the school begins to receive information back from the students that they extended admission to, the process gets quite fuzzy. Admission directors are interested in winding up the process and getting the next year's class selected as efficiently as possible. They will appreciate knowing who really wants in and who is either on the fence, or no longer interested in their school.

Good luck and stay focused. There is more than one right school for every child. Somehow, as miserable as this process is, it most often works out well in the end.
This is very good advice.

Also, did your child skip a grade? Some private schools are very funny about age, because they don't accept summer birthdays unless they have been held back, so if they accept a child who is very young for their grade, then they can easily have a 2 year plus gap between the oldest and the youngest.

AGS might be easier, it is worth a phone call, but you owe it to your child to make sure it is the right fit... otherwise you will be spendng a fortune and have an unhappy child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or