U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 07:40 AM

340 posts, read 1,456,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawndaisey View Post
Yes CM we have done this. Thank you for the suggestion. Trouble is many times profoundly gifted kids are not the 'teacher pleaser' types and though the behavior is mostly from boredom the eval forms do not give much room to explain. urg! But as sweettea said there are much worse things that can happen than not getting into a private school. It just seems that our gifted population is so under-served in public school. These are the kids that are 'left behind'.....bitting my nails until mail comes..... One school suggested (after seeing the evals come back) asking members of the community/other teachers at school to write a letter on our child's behalf.....I wonder if that would of helped?
I understand you want your child to have the best education she deserves, but like other people said early, you can find quality edution in public school. I know each county has so called "IB Program" in public high school as well as AP classes. I also know of some families in which their children have always gone to public schools ended up in Ivy league ( actually many of them). I don't think private school is the only destination for a child to be successful. Of course private school has its advantage of selecting students which are easy taught. As a parent I would try to help kids reach their goals, and in the mean time, I would make it aware to the kids there might be adverse outcome they may not like, but they have to prepare for it. When it happens, they won't be shocked.

Last edited by CityFan; 04-07-2008 at 08:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 09:18 AM

13 posts, read 70,815 times
Heard from AIS....and we were accepted so this is fantastic news to us. In response to the comment about Marietta Center for Advance Academics it is 3-5th grade and although you must have an A/B average one only needs to score in 75% on ITBS. There is a huge difference in students whom score 75% and those in 99%.....better but still more of the same. Anyone have any information (good and bad) about AIS in middle school/high school years? Would welcome any comments....should I start a new thread....I am new at this so please forgive me....

Old 05-03-2008, 03:13 PM

45 posts, read 194,466 times
lawndaisey,

I am applying to AIS for my daughter next year. Is your child bilingual? I really do not get how private schools evaluate three and four year olds. Unlike your child who took the SSAT; there are no real testing criteria.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:14 PM

16 posts, read 75,495 times
My daughter who is 5 was admitted this year (but we are not going). The testing was long - over 3 hours. She came back from testing telling us that they drew, played and were read a story. Then they had to recall parts of the story to the teachers to test memory, I think. My child is bilingual, but they never asked her anything in Spanish. Weird.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:42 AM

Are you KIDDING me!!??? I thought they just observed them for a couple of hours. That seems like a lot for five year olds. Yikes!

Old 05-04-2008, 09:44 AM

200 posts, read 909,104 times
We have two kids at AIS, one in middle school and one in high school. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them.

Global Nomad

Old 05-04-2008, 03:28 PM

Thanks Global. I'm assuming that you are pleased with the school since you have two children there. What made you choose AIS over other private schools? Right now I'm think that that will be the only school to which I will apply. I'm very concerned about diversity in a private school (economic, racial, geographic, ideology, etc) and I imagine that AIS would be the best choice for that.

I keep hearing that it is incredibly difficult to get in--particularly because of the demographic breakdown. Are you an international family?

Old 05-04-2008, 03:36 PM

16 posts, read 75,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur2004 View Post
Are you KIDDING me!!??? I thought they just observed them for a couple of hours. That seems like a lot for five year olds. Yikes!
I think AIS was the longest observation we had (out of Galloway, AIS and Westminster). At Westminster, they were asked to be quiet for two minutes (according to my daughter, so this may or may not be accurate - she's only 5 with an active imagination) to see who could follow directions.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:40 PM

Am I the only one who is weirded out that I will subject my kid to be "judged" this way? I mean, I get it on an objective level, but something makes me feel uncomfortable that I am already introducing my child to competition (albeit she won't know) at such a young age. Three hours--wow.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:33 PM

168 posts, read 495,030 times
Yeah, it's creepy.

The reason it's silly to me is that all of our kids deserve and have to be educated somewhere. The fact that private schools evaluate kids is a consequence of one thing -- supply and demand.

Schools are trying to figure out how to pick one family with $15,000 in hand over another, so we end up with these evaluations. If there weren't more paying parents than spaces, the evalutations would be simple or non-existent. I read an article this year where the admissions directors said as much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or