U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 07:39 AM

197 posts, read 715,248 times

Advertisements

First of all, I am sorry you have been going through all this stress. I was happy to hear that your daughter got into AIS...and happy too that she has choices.

I just wanted to tell you that I know it's hard when you want the best for your child and especially when you can see your child has vulnerabilities. It is easy to say chill out but much harder when you have a child who is in need of a very specific educational approach to get the best out of her. So I feel for you and I am glad you have a good perspctive about it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Galloway is highly sensitive about their old reputation that they take kids with behavior problems. They often look for kids with no issues for this reason.
My kids go to Galloway and I had the same thought as lastminutemom. There is a new headmaster now and I know first hand that the emphasis right now is on stressing their wonderful and UNIQUE educational approach vs. the old way of taking in the kids who don't fit elsewhere. Having said that, I think the very things that make Galloway special--high academics with creative teaching--are the very things that tend to SUIT kids just like yours--bright, intellectual, curious and questioning. I think Galloway's administration and very active PA is finally seeing that they have a unique approach to offer that could work for EVERYONE. Rather than focusing on "problem kids" I think they want to try and evangelize (for lack of better word) their approach by taking in mainstream kids.... Your job is going to have to be to get the schools to see your child as highly intellectual and under challenged vs. difficult to handle.

From what you are saying. I am guessing that the teacher eval may have sunk her. IF that is the case, it is not too late to course correct for next year. I think EVERYONE would agree that one teacher's opinion is not sufficient. It's certainly good enough to keep you out THIS year but I think if you can show it was an individual thing rather than a pattern, you can try again next...

If I were sitting in your shoes, I would do a few things to make sure you keep several doors open in the event the current school does not meet your needs.

Make appts with the schools that rejected your child. Go in with an open mind to get the information as to "what went wrong". Some of it may be situational (too many applicants); some of it specific to you. Listen and make sure you understand what they are saying. Then, in a very respectful and open manner, be sure to correct any misperceptions. Be up front and say "You know, we may want to try again next year and just wanted to make sure we understood your concerns and were able to address them".

If you feel passionate about a school, tell them. Schools like to hear that parents are devoted to them...I know several people who have gotten in subsequent years because they used to door slamming as an opportunity to get an in with admissions. My friend applied to a school the year when there were 40 openings and got rejected. She tried again the following year with only 6 slots and got in. Why? She got the school to see her child as a "whole person" and to view the family as one committed to the school.

At the end of the day, schools want: well adjusted kids who will fit into their culture and thrive AND active parents who will support the school's mission.

Finally, a word of caution. We are often our own worst critics and that sometimes extends to our kids. I have a good friend in particular who always talked up how different her child is.... Now I met her long before I met her child. I understand and believe her when she says her little boy had issues when he was little. At one point, he was diagnosed as "on the spectrum" but these days, he has outgrown many of his challenges. HE tested well. HE has been thriving in his preschool. He has no issues. Yet, my lovely friend told all the schools she applied to how different her boy was, and surprise, he did not get in anywhere. My friend said that it was fine with her because she felt if the schools decided this way, then they were not the right place for her son. But I am outside of it a little bit and I can see what she can't---her little boy has outgrown many of his peculiarities and would have fit in just fine with my son's class.

My point is: when you meet with the schools going forward, make sure they hear from YOU how much you believe in your daughter. Whatever the teachers may have assessed, be sure the schools know that you are well aware of your child's best learning style but still be her very best advocate....

Best of luck to you this year....

Lola

Last edited by lolamom; 05-05-2008 at 07:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 12:04 PM

One last thought---if you can afford it, another thing you can do this year (esp if you go the public school route) is hire an independent educational consultant to test your child and to work with your family to identify and fulfill the learning environment that will best fit her. For most kids, I think some of this stuff is a bunch of hooey, but since your daughter is potentially struggling, someone like that may be able to help your family avoid further angst (especially of the teenager variety!) down the line....
oh, if parenting were easy.....

Old 05-06-2008, 08:40 PM

13 posts, read 70,871 times
Default Global...

Hi Global, tell me about middle school. Coming from a non-language (2nd language) background.....we are thrilled at the chance to learn globally....tell me anything/everything

Old 05-06-2008, 08:52 PM

13 posts, read 70,871 times
Default Lola...

Wow, thanks for your warm information. Very kind of you to take the time to address my issues with such honesty and compassion. I have taken to heart what you mention...and it hit home..."our own worse critics"..yes and I have been my daughter's as well. I need new eyes and to beathe more.
We are excited about the AIS and the chance for growth.....and actually grateful for the whole process....

Old 05-07-2008, 06:05 AM

200 posts, read 909,608 times
We chose AIS for our kids (1 in middle school and 1 in high school) because they had attended international schools in other countries for many years and we felt they would continue to thrive academically (and fit in socially) in this kind of environment. We are also big supporters of IB programs, which AIS offers from primary school through high school. We also liked the emphasis on mastering second (and third languages). Best of all, the small size of AIS (currently around 1,000 students in pre-K through 12) was very appealing to us. Having both our kids on the same campus was another plus.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawndaisey View Post
Wow, thanks for your warm information. Very kind of you to take the time to address my issues with such honesty and compassion. I have taken to heart what you mention...and it hit home..."our own worse critics"..yes and I have been my daughter's as well. I need new eyes and to beathe more.
We are excited about the AIS and the chance for growth.....and actually grateful for the whole process....
You know what, all we can do with our kids is our best. I can pretty much cope with a ton of things but when it comes to my kids, sometimes it's hard to stay objective!!! We love them so much and have so hopes and dreams for them, don't we?

Best of luck--I am glad you are happy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or