U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Thread summary:

Atlanta: Network Administrator, it job, money laundering, market, tuition assistance.

 
Old 04-06-2008, 02:29 PM
 
6 posts, read 18,180 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Is the IT job market slow in Atlanta? I believe there are more permanent jobs and less Consultancy positions and the permanent jobs are moving very slow and prefer locals? Is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-31-2008, 12:53 PM
 
2 posts, read 4,178 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann201010 View Post
Is the IT job market slow in Atlanta? I believe there are more permanent jobs and less Consultancy positions and the permanent jobs are moving very slow and prefer locals? Is this true?
I have lived here for eight years in Atlanta. I am a Windows System/Network Admininistrator that had good luck with Atlanta up until 2003 when I got laid off from 2 jobs in a row and Atlanta lost over 80% of all IT jobs. I had to relocate to Columbia, SC for over a year to survive and the only reason I was able to find work there was due to nobody actually wanting to relocate to Columbia (and who would!).

I finally got hired by IBM in Atlanta in 2005 as was able to return to Atlanta. Unfortunately, that position lasted 3 months and then I was hired by another company and that lasted a year before being bought out by Siemens and then I have been without a real job since 2006 and its 2008!!

The story is this. Be VERY careful coming to Atlanta looking for IT work. I do feel the market is coming back but it has NOT recovered. This city also has some serious hiring practice problems such as:

1. You better be a minority if you want to work for the city or government here. I was turned down from two jobs because I was white. Racism in hiring is practiced here heavily in city and government jobs in Atlanta and some surrounding communities. If you are black you will have a much better chance to get city and government jobs in Atlanta. Oh by the way, the city of Atlanta and Fulton county is one of the most corrupt governments in the U.S. Our Mayor's family has been convicted of money laundering.

2. Many IT companies are using 3rd party outsourced HR departments. I havn't ran into one of them that had a clue yet. They ask irrelevant questions to the positions they are hiring for. Atlanta HR Departments are not intelligent enough to know how to look for good IT people. They usually just end up hiring underqualified "friends" instead who don't have a clue.

3. The majority of jobs here are low paying. Most companies that move here come for the specific purpose of hiring cheaper labor. The cost of living in Atlanta is not as high as most other major cities, but the pay scale hasn't been good since 2003. Like one poster said here, most of the gains in jobs are in the retail sector and not in IT. I find that the MAJORITY of jobs that I've applied for in 2007 and 2008 were "frozen" due to budget and the local economy.
The last company I worked for in Atlanta, which was a IT firm, was managed so badly that I am having to bring them to small claims court to get my final paycheck.

I have decided I am going to relocate to Austin, TX where the IT Industry and HR departments in charge of hiring are more in touch with hiring for the IT industry. Atlanta's IT job market will come back, but its not now and it might take years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2008, 04:30 AM
 
Location: metro Atlanta
100 posts, read 450,137 times
Reputation: 35
The previous post above is pretty blunt, but true for Atlanta. I work in IT (internet technlogies) as well. Basically, your best bet is knowing someone to get an IT job in Atlanta (If I were talking about any field in Atlanta this would apply). Networking with others in your field is extremely important, how I wish I understood this when I was quite young! I have had various sysadmin jobs and layoffs at more than 1 company have been brutal.
Contract jobs in Atlanta are posted all the time but many are short term, 6 months to a year. Maybe more people will chime in with experience here. You could post this question on LinkedIn, you might get some more varied answers as well there. LinkedIn is a good networking tool as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2008, 06:15 AM
 
38 posts, read 198,772 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveatl View Post
I have lived here for eight years in Atlanta. I am a Windows System/Network Admininistrator that had good luck with Atlanta up until 2003 when I got laid off from 2 jobs in a row and Atlanta lost over 80% of all IT jobs. I had to relocate to Columbia, SC for over a year to survive and the only reason I was able to find work there was due to nobody actually wanting to relocate to Columbia (and who would!).

I finally got hired by IBM in Atlanta in 2005 as was able to return to Atlanta. Unfortunately, that position lasted 3 months and then I was hired by another company and that lasted a year before being bought out by Siemens and then I have been without a real job since 2006 and its 2008!!

The story is this. Be VERY careful coming to Atlanta looking for IT work. I do feel the market is coming back but it has NOT recovered. This city also has some serious hiring practice problems such as:

1. You better be a minority if you want to work for the city or government here. I was turned down from two jobs because I was white. Racism in hiring is practiced here heavily in city and government jobs in Atlanta and some surrounding communities. If you are black you will have a much better chance to get city and government jobs in Atlanta. Oh by the way, the city of Atlanta and Fulton county is one of the most corrupt governments in the U.S. Our Mayor's family has been convicted of money laundering.

2. Many IT companies are using 3rd party outsourced HR departments. I havn't ran into one of them that had a clue yet. They ask irrelevant questions to the positions they are hiring for. Atlanta HR Departments are not intelligent enough to know how to look for good IT people. They usually just end up hiring underqualified "friends" instead who don't have a clue.

3. The majority of jobs here are low paying. Most companies that move here come for the specific purpose of hiring cheaper labor. The cost of living in Atlanta is not as high as most other major cities, but the pay scale hasn't been good since 2003. Like one poster said here, most of the gains in jobs are in the retail sector and not in IT. I find that the MAJORITY of jobs that I've applied for in 2007 and 2008 were "frozen" due to budget and the local economy.
The last company I worked for in Atlanta, which was a IT firm, was managed so badly that I am having to bring them to small claims court to get my final paycheck.

I have decided I am going to relocate to Austin, TX where the IT Industry and HR departments in charge of hiring are more in touch with hiring for the IT industry. Atlanta's IT job market will come back, but its not now and it might take years.
Perhaps it’s not the companies, but rather your attitude that is holding you back. I wouldn't be surprised if this shows during your interviewing process. What I’ve gathered from your post regarding Atlanta’s IT job market is:

1. Because you were turned down for two local government jobs, you cannot fathom any other reason than your race as to why.
2. You feel many Atlanta IT companies have incompetent HR hiring policies.
3. The pay does not meet your requirements.

I’ve been here for almost a year, with less than eight years of IT experience in mainly systems applications, and received several job offers from various IT companies. My first job in Atlanta was at a Fortune 15 as a Technical Engineer; the second company was a leader in healthcare IT, in which I was a Sr. Systems Analyst. I left the first only because a 15 mile commute would take an hour or more. Interesting enough, I did not have another job lined up. Regardless, I interviewed with five reputable companies within two weeks and was back on my feet. So I was either overconfident about this market, a risk taker, or very lucky. I should also mention these companies are mostly all white. On my first day as an engineer, I was asked by a co-worker, “How did you get this job? There were some very good candidates applying. You must have told some very good lies.” So, yes, I agree that racism is alive and well.

As far as the interviewing process for both companies, the questions asked were very specific to the job I was applying for. Actually, one of the above mentioned jobs put me through three phone interviews, an in-office panel interview, then a sidebar face-to-face with not only who became my immediate supervisor but his superior as well. It was tough process, but it only showed how serious this company was about the people they hire. Besides, I tell any potential company I work for that I’m interviewing them as well. It let’s them know I’m just as serious.

A friend of mine had a similar experience where she found an IT job here, then left shortly after a year for another company. She left only because the new job offered her an office and more tuition assistance while pursuing her Masters. Ironically, she held similar IT positions in DC, where the cost of living is obviously much higher, yet her salary was slightly better in Atlanta. I can attest to this because I moved from that same market.

As far as permanent versus consulting jobs, my aim was for a permanent. However, this doesn’t mean there aren’t consulting jobs out there. I’ve been meeting with consultants from Deloitte for three months, in which a few are not from this area. With that said, I think the IT market is slowly moving towards stability. If you’re seriously looking, put a feeler resume out there and monitor what type of responses you receive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2008, 10:57 PM
 
2 posts, read 4,178 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
Perhaps it’s not the companies, but rather your attitude that is holding you back. I wouldn't be surprised if this shows during your interviewing process. What I’ve gathered from your post regarding Atlanta’s IT job market is:

1. Because you were turned down for two local government jobs, you cannot fathom any other reason than your race as to why.
2. You feel many Atlanta IT companies have incompetent HR hiring policies.
3. The pay does not meet your requirements.
1. This is an incorrect assumption on your part. I confirmed with other people who have worked for the city offices of College Park, GA (south of downtown near the Airport) that they are well known for their illegal race specific hiring practices and was told by many people that I shouldn't of even bothered applying there even though I was 100% qualified for the job and should of at least got a call back. Assuming my revealing of racist hiring practices is an "attitude problem" is wrong on your part. You ran into issues with racism yourself so don't assume I am wrong about my experience. I know many people who have left Atlanta for this very reason!

2. I stand by this statement..especially with HR departments that are outsourced to 3rd parties. This has been my experience here. I have had much better experiences with HR departments in other states.

3. The pay here compared to what I've been offered in other cities with the SAME cost of living is lower..there are exceptions to everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2008, 08:51 AM
 
9 posts, read 22,948 times
Reputation: 10
IT is strong here, but startups can be tough to find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2008, 01:01 AM
 
38 posts, read 198,772 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveatl View Post
1. This is an incorrect assumption on your part. I confirmed with other people who have worked for the city offices of College Park, GA (south of downtown near the Airport) that they are well known for their illegal race specific hiring practices and was told by many people that I shouldn't of even bothered applying there even though I was 100% qualified for the job and should of at least got a call back. Assuming my revealing of racist hiring practices is an "attitude problem" is wrong on your part. You ran into issues with racism yourself so don't assume I am wrong about my experience. I know many people who have left Atlanta for this very reason!

2. I stand by this statement..especially with HR departments that are outsourced to 3rd parties. This has been my experience here. I have had much better experiences with HR departments in other states.

3. The pay here compared to what I've been offered in other cities with the SAME cost of living is lower..there are exceptions to everything.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, "...racism is alive and well." That I'm not disputing, which is why I backed it up with direct personal experience. My point is/was, other than hearsay , how do you know if you were not offered an interview or job because of race? This, I would ask of anyone when using race as their basis for discussion. Also, I will even go as far as saying that perhaps my suggesting 'your attitude' as being a part of the problem was far stretched, but a reply like "...I was 100% qualified for the job and should of at least got a call back" only drives my point. However, I digress. This thread isn't about illegal hiring practices. You and I have both experienced what we feel were/are unfair practices in the workplace. The goal, through communication, is to hopefully open our eyes to what goes on in the real world. If discriminatory hiring practices exist in College Park city government, then it should be made known; however, you will need facts, not hearsay, for any legal action to take place.

Good luck in Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top