U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2008, 06:21 PM

4 posts, read 13,713 times

Advertisements

How often do you need to have your vehicle inspected in Georgia? Once every year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 06:40 PM

3,479 posts, read 6,492,562 times
Every year during the month of your birthday. It's $25.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:02 PM

8,360 posts, read 14,119,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchadick View Post
How often do you need to have your vehicle inspected in Georgia? Once every year?
The inspection in the ATL metro is for emissions...no mechanical testing is required(resulting in the oft-seen dead headlight or tail light on many vehicles). Yearly, beginning with the third birthday of the vehicle--required to renew tags.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:46 AM

3,479 posts, read 6,492,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
The inspection in the ATL metro is for emissions...no mechanical testing is required(resulting in the oft-seen dead headlight or tail light on many vehicles). Yearly, beginning with the third birthday of the vehicle--required to renew tags.
I didn't realize that. I think the inspection place I go to checks my headlights, etc as well though.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:07 AM

7,862 posts, read 15,217,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
I didn't realize that. I think the inspection place I go to checks my headlights, etc as well though.
Nope. You only need an emissions check if your car is between 3 and 25years old. Not sure why you get a pass beyond 25, but I'm sure the % of those cars on the road is small.

Coming from a state with a VERY strict inspection regime, you can tell the difference on the roads in GA. Junker cars with cracked windshields, bald tires, poor brakes, and parts falling off or held on with duct tape would never be seen on the roads in other states as they are in GA. The theory here is that the cops will stop those cars and ticket them, but I seriously doubt that ever happens.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:53 AM

8,360 posts, read 14,119,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Indeedy, when I was growing up in South Carolina, we had pretty strict mechanical inspections, including brakes, wipers, headlights, etc. They even checked the 'aim' of the headlights...now, THAT would be a blessing in ATL.

Unfortunately, SC dropped the program since it cost so much to police the corruption that was rampant at the testing stations. They just gave up. Can you imagine the 'underground industry' that would exist in ATL if we tried to enforce the mechanical inspections of the junkers and boy racer toys out there?

Of course, the ATL program has very little to do with air quality...it's mostly about getting federal highway dollars.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:21 AM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,546,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post

Of course, the ATL program has very little to do with air quality...it's mostly about getting federal highway dollars.

Federal Highway dollars are at risk if the air quality gets too bad.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:22 AM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,546,904 times
Make sure your "check engine" light is not on. If it is, you fail.

Make sure you have a gas cap and it seals properly. They check that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta