Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 06:27 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,380,112 times

Advertisements

Plans for a mixed used development at North DeKalb Mall have fallen through after the developer and the county could not agree on a master plan hampered by budget constraints.

Attorney Kathyrn Zickert for the Sterling Organization confirmed the company withdrew its zoning application with DeKalb County for the property last week. The development would’ve been anchored by a Costco and included 450 multi-family housing units and 50 townhomes. Some existing stores, such as Burlington, the AMC theater and Marshalls were also expected to stay..."

FULL STORY: https://www.ajc.com/news/local/costc...ane4QPeg2eu8L/

SOURCE: AJC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 12:57 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris1 View Post
Plans for a mixed used development at North DeKalb Mall have fallen through after the developer and the county could not agree on a master plan hampered by budget constraints.

Attorney Kathyrn Zickert for the Sterling Organization confirmed the company withdrew its zoning application with DeKalb County for the property last week. The development would’ve been anchored by a Costco and included 450 multi-family housing units and 50 townhomes. Some existing stores, such as Burlington, the AMC theater and Marshalls were also expected to stay..."

FULL STORY: https://www.ajc.com/news/local/costc...ane4QPeg2eu8L/

SOURCE: AJC
I suspect they waited too long and all the development around the North Decatur WalMart limited potential tenants.

Old 12-16-2018, 02:39 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
I totally understand wanting to have control over how land is developed in your neighborhood.

But killing an entire mixed use development because you're against Costco loading docks and gas pumps? Well, I hope DeKalb county enjoys having dead malls and squalor, because that's all this plot is going to have for some time now.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:03 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I totally understand wanting to have control over how land is developed in your neighborhood.

But killing an entire mixed use development because you're against Costco loading docks and gas pumps? Well, I hope DeKalb county enjoys having dead malls and squalor, because that's all this plot is going to have for some time now.
They weren't against them; they were against the location of them in the plan. They were situated right next to a long established residential street (Latham Drive) that has little to no tree barrier between it and the mall parking area. I could understand their objections, and the additional requests made by the county were, IMO, reasonable. But it wasn't the neighborhood's desire that the project go away altogether. The developer simply said that it wasn't in the budget to redesign the project, took its toys and went home (for now).
The property won't sit moribund forever; when the right plan comes along, it will happen. And I wouldn't write the status quo off as altogether squalid; there is still a Burlington Coat Factory, Marshall's, AMC Theatre, Dollar Tree (Don't laugh, I love DT), Play it Again Sports, etc.

Old 12-16-2018, 11:14 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
The property won't sit moribund forever; when the right plan comes along, it will happen. And I wouldn't write the status quo off as altogether squalid; there is still a Burlington Coat Factory, Marshall's, AMC Theatre, Dollar Tree (Don't laugh, I love DT), Play it Again Sports, etc.
Yes, the property and the area is too prime to stay “status quo” for long.

Also, I hope the retailers/entertainment venues listed above continue to stay—or become enhanced with the eventual new development. They have endured and largely thrived through all of this.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:57 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Glad to see this go. Costco's need a hug amount of parking and generate a lot of vehicle traffic. This development would have remained a car centric, low density development. Instead it needs to be completely re-imagined as a mixed use development, with new street connections carving up the site focused around a transit center. There could be dedicated ramps from US 78 to P&R garages for commuters from US 78 and future connections to Gwinnett Co transit plan.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:05 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Glad to see this go. Costco's need a hug amount of parking and generate a lot of vehicle traffic. This development would have remained a car centric, low density development. Instead it needs to be completely re-imagined as a mixed use development, with new street connections carving up the site focused around a transit center. There could be dedicated ramps from US 78 to P&R garages for commuters from US 78 and future connections to Gwinnett Co transit plan.
That's not gonna happen. This is Jetson's level fantasy.

Eventually, Costco or someone similar will come along with a plan that's workable, but still car centric, and they'll get it built.

Even if it were turned into a transit center, whatever that is, it would need thousands of parking spaces since people would need to drive there to use the transit.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
That's not gonna happen. This is Jetson's level fantasy.

Eventually, Costco or someone similar will come along with a plan that's workable, but still car centric, and they'll get it built.

Even if it were turned into a transit center, whatever that is, it would need thousands of parking spaces since people would need to drive there to use the transit.
Which is exactly why I spoke about a mixed use transit center with P&R garage.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:12 AM

7,358 posts, read 6,526,600 times
Transit to where? The same pathetic local buses that stop there now? This isn't on the Clifton Corridor, though I think a line through here to Northlake would make a great line branching off the Clifton Corridor and/or coming off Lindbergh. https://drive.google.com/open?id=133...90&usp=sharing

Old 12-17-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Transit to where? The same pathetic local buses that stop there now? This isn't on the Clifton Corridor, though I think a line through here to Northlake would make a great line branching off the Clifton Corridor and/or coming off Lindbergh. https://drive.google.com/open?id=133...90&usp=sharing
Lawerenceville Hwy has the ROW and existing lanes to have; 2 lanes each direction, dedicated left turn lane with medians, and dedicated transit lanes.
Good LRT plan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta