U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 06:23 PM

2,819 posts, read 9,528,646 times

Advertisements

Harvest Table in Dacula, Georgia
Collard Green Cafe right off I-85 Exit 92.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 09:19 PM

67 posts, read 212,886 times
Here are some of my favorites in Metro Atlanta:
Son's Place in Inman Park - caffeteria style food- they serve breakfast and lunch only
The Collonade on Cheshire Bridge - a long time favorite in Atlanta
Eat's on Ponce De Leon - yummy collard greens, jerk chicken, black beans and rice - cheap too!
OK Cafe on West Paces - very yummy for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
Whitehouse on Peachtree in Buckhead - a must for breakfast!
Southcity Kitchen in Midtown is a higher-end restaurant
Silver Skillet in Midtown on Monroe Dr - meat and three - delicious!
Thumbs Up Diner on Edgewood has hearty breakfasts but long lines if you don't get there early!

Old 04-16-2008, 10:21 PM

8,862 posts, read 15,228,129 times
I have the Silver Skillet on my list and have also wanted to try the West Egg on Howell Mill.
Here>>>
West Egg Cafe - Atlanta, GA, 30318 - Citysearch

The menu sounds 'Nouvelle South' for lack of a better descriptor--'lemon poppy seed french toast'.

I think the Horseradish Grill was on Rachel Ray's tour of Atlanta.

Here>>>
Horseradish Grill - Atlanta's Oldest Continuously Operating Restaurant

Old 04-17-2008, 01:56 PM

539 posts, read 1,916,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnergrl View Post
cool mommy how was the trip to savannah?
Thank you for asking! Our trip to Savannah was incredible! My husband has decided it is the most beautiful place he has been to. That says a lot because we have done quite a bit of traveling. We enjoyed a detailed tour of the city by trolley, a wonderful ghost tour (the one associated with a former producer/director of "Scariest Places on Earth", ask for tour guide Dawn) and spent a day at Tybee Island. The history of this city is intriguing and fascinating. The homes,buildings, squares and gardens were just too beautiful. My kids had a blast visiting all of the little boutiques and gift shops. The food was amazing! I had the best pralines in the world at a sweet store that I couldn't get my kids out of. I was less than impressed with one famous brewery though. The beers were all warm and the food was not so great. Oh well, not everything can be perfect but our trip was pretty darn close to it. We can't wait to go back! The beach at Tybee Island was wonderful and my kids couldn't get enough of the waves. What a beautiful place. I am well into the book "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" as I didn't have a chance to read it before our trip but couldn't wait to get home and read it after hearing so much about it while in Savannah.

Thanks so much for all of the great suggestions for authentic southern food. My stomach is growling and mouth watering just reading about all of them.

Last edited by cool_mommy; 04-17-2008 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 04-17-2008, 08:53 PM

8,374 posts, read 7,524,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_mommy View Post
Thank you for asking! Our trip to Savannah was incredible! My husband has decided it is the most beautiful place he has been to. That says a lot because we have done quite a bit of traveling. We enjoyed a detailed tour of the city by trolley, a wonderful ghost tour (the one associated with a former producer/director of "Scariest Places on Earth", ask for tour guide Dawn) and spent a day at Tybee Island. The history of this city is intriguing and fascinating. The homes,buildings, squares and gardens were just too beautiful. My kids had a blast visiting all of the little boutiques and gift shops. The food was amazing! I had the best pralines in the world at a sweet store that I couldn't get my kids out of. I was less than impressed with one famous brewery though. The beers were all warm and the food was not so great. Oh well, not everything can be perfect but our trip was pretty darn close to it. We can't wait to go back! The beach at Tybee Island was wonderful and my kids couldn't get enough of the waves. What a beautiful place. I am well into the book "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" as I didn't have a chance to read it before our trip but couldn't wait to get home and read it after hearing so much about it while in Savannah.

Thanks so much for all of the great suggestions for authentic southern food. My stomach is growling and mouth watering just reading about all of them.
If you haven't been to Charleston, SC yet, you'll love it. It's even more beautiful than Savannah.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:59 AM

Its on our list, thanks!

Old 04-18-2008, 07:09 AM

8,862 posts, read 15,228,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_mommy View Post
Its on our list, thanks!
St. Augustine, FL is worth a trip, too.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:28 AM

I've never heard anything about St. Augustine. I'll google it. Thanks!

Old 04-20-2008, 11:58 AM

313 posts, read 1,037,936 times
I agree...Charlestown and St Augustine are definitely places to put on your "to-do" list. I have been to both...but it has been awhile since St Augustine.

I have never been to Savannah, but I may try to get to it when I am there this summer. My husband says...who has been to both Savannah and Charleston...charleston definitely has more of a vibe. I love Charlestown. The historical areas are gorgeous. I love the low country with the moss covered oaks.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:51 PM

345 posts, read 397,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnergrl View Post
I agree...Charleston and St Augustine are definitely places to put on your "to-do" list. I have been to both...but it has been awhile since St Augustine.

I have never been to Savannah, but I may try to get to it when I am there this summer. My husband says...who has been to both Savannah and Charleston...Charleston definitely has more of a vibe. I love Charleston. The historical areas are gorgeous. I love the low country with the moss covered oaks.
I agree with liking historical areas of Charleston and St. Augustine. Anyone visiting St. Augustine be sure and take or rent bicycles (and bring a good cable lock) as there are many convenient alleyways and places to explore by bike. I have been to Savannah. Try the slow country boil while visiting the Tybee Island area. The historic tourist area in Savannah is smallish, but do go have a meal and a cold cup of sweet tea after strolling around. If you smell a yucky odor in the air it might be the paper mill way off near the river - it will pass (~:

Last edited by Ria Rhodes; 04-20-2008 at 04:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or