Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2018, 09:50 PM

118 posts, read 163,815 times

Advertisements

Hi

I am coming in for a few concerts, I am staying at 32 Peachtree Street Northwest...The shows are at The Masquerade. My question would be is it safe to walk to the show and back after?

Also while I'm at it, any reccomendations for late night food...basic american traditional food?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2018, 10:48 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
Safe to walk to the show: definitely.

Safe to walk back after: maybe. But it's so close, you're probably not going to call an Uber to drive you two blocks. I'd do it.

I don't know how late the kitchens at Sidebar, Park Bar, or Hudson Grille stay open. There's definitely a Waffle House on Centennial Park Dr. and if you go back to your place after the show, you'll see plenty of options on Uber Eats.

Old 12-26-2018, 12:51 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,874,004 times
Mama Mia Pizza and Wings is probably your best bet. it's right up Broad from where you're staying and they stay open late.

People will ask you for money, but they aren't dangerous, just cold and hungry. There used to be single-bed hotels and places to work day jobs downtown, but over the years a series of laws were passed that eliminated the bottom tier of the economy to make downtown more "tourist friendly", but the effect was creating a homeless population. People ride into Atlanta on Greyhound buses looking for a better life and because they don't have documentation, resumes, or a permanent address that the government requires nowadays, there is no work for them to do, and they have to beg (most of these people are US citizens, too). Many of these people don't want to beg and will offer to wash your car or give you a tour or something in exchange for money. I hope this helps contextualize the situation into more than a simple safe/unsafe dynamic.

Merry Christmas

Old 12-26-2018, 01:52 PM

11,799 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
Mama Mia Pizza and Wings is probably your best bet. it's right up Broad from where you're staying and they stay open late.

People will ask you for money, but they aren't dangerous, just cold and hungry. There used to be single-bed hotels and places to work day jobs downtown, but over the years a series of laws were passed that eliminated the bottom tier of the economy to make downtown more "tourist friendly", but the effect was creating a homeless population. People ride into Atlanta on Greyhound buses looking for a better life and because they don't have documentation, resumes, or a permanent address that the government requires nowadays, there is no work for them to do, and they have to beg (most of these people are US citizens, too). Many of these people don't want to beg and will offer to wash your car or give you a tour or something in exchange for money. I hope this helps contextualize the situation into more than a simple safe/unsafe dynamic.

Merry Christmas
It makes me sad seeing people in this position. Constantly reminds me of how our society is catered to the wealthy and once you lose that you pretty much may as well not exist. In Austin, I've found the situation to be a bit worse. We have homeless people sitting under overpasses WELL into the suburbs where as Atlanta metro seems to be concentrated only near Downtown for the most part.

Old 12-27-2018, 05:58 AM

617 posts, read 552,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
It makes me sad seeing people in this position. Constantly reminds me of how our society is catered to the wealthy and once you lose that you pretty much may as well not exist. In Austin, I've found the situation to be a bit worse. We have homeless people sitting under overpasses WELL into the suburbs where as Atlanta metro seems to be concentrated only near Downtown for the most part.
True for the most part but there are pockets of homeless around Metro Atlanta. I live in Marietta not far from downtown Marietta, and driving by the Cobb Linc Bus station everyday on S. Marietta Pkwy is eye opening. Lots of homeless scattered throughout that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta