Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 11:37 AM

10,276 posts, read 8,435,178 times

Advertisements

It’s unbelievable how many criticize how others lived, imply they are bragging, then brag themselves about how they do everything for a lot less. The comments after the article bear that out. Some people were just plain jealous.
No doubt they are living to their income and not having any problems, but I think once they get some financial advice they will change. Some people will just continue down the same path and think everything is fine until it’s not. At least they are realizing they need to be more aggressive about investing to the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 04:42 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,327,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
The utilities seem a little high, but not by too much. We have a three-floor townhome, all electric. Our average monthly total utility bill is around $415, not including phones (since they have separated that out). However, ours also does not include gas (we are all electric) or trash service (included in HOA). So, I could see a larger SFH coming in at the $676 mark. As for Netflix and basic internet, speak for yourself. I like a wide variety of entertainment options, and certainly don't fancy slow internet.

The dayis solid advice that anyone should learn. I make a hefty income. I purposely do not tell my wife how much I bring in, nor how much I have saved, because she lives by the "spend what you make" code...because money is supposed to afford you things that make you happy. I prefer to live comfortably, but stash away some for another day. Maybe when we buy our next house, I can put down a 30-50% down payment. Or maybe just pay it outright. This would blow her mind.

Words of wisdom!

Old 12-28-2018, 04:50 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,327,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
"Take a Look at My Budget: An Atlanta Family of 5 Living on $162K" takes a look at the expenses of a couple from the Atlanta suburb of Marietta who earns $162k combined.

The couple (which includes the husband who is an accountant that earns $150k per year, the wife who earns only $12k per year as a freelance writer and a stay-at-home mom and their three kids under the age of 8) aims to save for big future expenses while attempting to invest.

"Take a Look at My Budget: An Atlanta Family of 5 Living on $162K
...Vacay goals, the perks of family museum memberships and water gun runs
" (The Real Deal by RetailMeNot)

For a family with that kind of income, I don't think their spending is crazy. The cell phone bill and utilities seem kind of high though. I think t would be a good idea for them to invest more though. Them waiting and waiting is time their money could be growing more and more via compounding interest.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:54 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,312,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
An honest question, your wife is genuinely in the dark about how much you make? Does she not inquire? Or do you tell her a different figure? Do you not see it as a joint salary, and instead a single salary?
She has a general idea. She's asked before, and I don't hide it...she just doesn't remember. We do not have a shared bank account, although she does have a check card linked to my account for most purchases. She now has a part time job and makes enough money to cover her basic expenses, and I pay for pretty much everything else. So, it is in a way a "joint salary". She's just not the best with money, spending, or saving, so I don't let on how much is in the bank. As long as we're able to spend as desired, she pretty much doesn't care.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:05 PM

6,081 posts, read 4,551,729 times
Here's where I see fat (in addition to the utilities that others have pointed out):

-The $300.00 monthly country club membership. That seems like a big expense.
-The $200.00 (monthly) landscaping cost. What exactly are they doing to spend $200.00 a month?
-It's unclear how much of the $1,616 goes towards loan payments, personal loan (for what?), and car payments. What kind of car(s) are they driving?
-There are probably some other ways they could save more money but these are the items that jumped out to me the most.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:05 PM

651 posts, read 468,289 times
Whoa!

How are they getting two cars on insurance for only $141!?

Old 12-28-2018, 09:07 PM

6,081 posts, read 4,551,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
Whoa!

Probably because many insurance companies give married people a discount (and single people a penalty) because of their marital status (which is totally wrong), but that's another topic.

Plus, car insurance costs vary quite a bit from state to state and city to city.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:22 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,312,979 times
Quote:
Whoa!

A few years ago, we had two cars insured for less than that with State Farm. It's now double that, thanks to an accident.

But, note that the husband's car is a company car. He likely doesn't pay insurance on it.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:31 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,336,272 times
All of their house keeping and yard maintenance fees would go away with a little elbow grease and planning and ALL of that money could be saved. I truly have the "envy" yard of my neighborhood and I am one of the few of my neighbors that does their own yard work.

Old 12-29-2018, 12:47 AM

10,276 posts, read 8,435,178 times
Quote:
Whoa!

Maybe the husbands company also paid insurance since they supplied the car. So that would be for only one car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta