Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 02:12 AM

56 posts, read 69,827 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone you guys helped me in the past now I’m back again I wanna make my last move I want to make sure I get all the information that I need before settling permanently in the south the reason I am focus in Henry County because it seems like you get more for your money.We are a family of 5 mine high school the other is elementary school I need to be in the best area between those two suburbs low crimes area is my number one priority I heard there’s a lot of home invasion in Henry County please guide me to the best areas and how far of a drive to Gwinnett county or downtown Atlanta for work thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 05:40 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitanabo View Post
Hello everyone you guys helped me in the past now I’m back again I wanna make my last move I want to make sure I get all the information that I need before settling permanently in the south the reason I am focus in Henry County because it seems like you get more for your money.We are a family of 5 mine high school the other is elementary school I need to be in the best area between those two suburbs low crimes area is my number one priority I heard there’s a lot of home invasion in Henry County please guide me to the best areas and how far of a drive to Gwinnett county or downtown Atlanta for work thank you in advance!
Do you know exactly where you will be commuting to for work each day?

South metro suburban areas like McDonough and Locust Grove are strongly not recommended for commuting to and from jobs in places like Northeast metro Gwinnett County.

That kind of commute is entirely too far with the potential for too much to go wrong (collisions, traffic incidents, weather, etc) that can make it a very long commute on many days.

A farther-flung south outer-suburban area like Locust Grove probably is not strongly recommended for commuting to and from Downtown Atlanta either.

That's because of the unpredictability of the I-75 South roadway through Henry County during peak traffic hours (both during the week and even on some weekends) and during some parts of the year when national travel to and from Florida adds to what can already be some very heavy traffic along that roadway during peak traffic hours.

Interstate 75 through the McDonough area can be prone to experience gridlock at times on a not-too-infrequent basis.

I-75 from the US 19-41 junction north to the I-285 South Perimeter near the airport can also be a delay-prone stretch of roadway during peak traffic hours... For whatever reason, lots of serious accidents (often involving 18-wheelers) tend to occur along that stretch of roadway between exits 235 and 238 on I-75 south of Atlanta.

The areas along I-85 South (in areas like Fayette and Coweta counties) are often much more strongly recommended for commuting to and from Downtown Atlanta from the southern suburbs... That's because I-85 south of Atlanta is a less delay-prone roadway than I-75 south of Atlanta.

It does not sound like you know exactly where you will be commuting to and from for work after moving to Atlanta.

Your best course of action will be first secure employment, find out and know where in the expansive Atlanta metro area/region you will be commuting to (and from) for work each day, and then look for an affordable low-crime area with good schools that will be geographically convenient to where you will be working.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:21 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,855,678 times
Commute from Henry County to Gwinnett is a non-starter. Would be a huge nightmare. If you ever want to see your house in the daylight, don't do it (would have to leave before sunup and get home after sundown). South Gwinnett might work for you. See above post for good suggestions, but GET THE JOB FIRST and then decide.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:01 AM

Default Where will be the closest that I can look for employment

w
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Do you know exactly where you will be commuting to for work each day?

South metro suburban areas like McDonough and Locust Grove are strongly not recommended for commuting to and from jobs in places like Northeast metro Gwinnett County.

That kind of commute is entirely too far with the potential for too much to go wrong (collisions, traffic incidents, weather, etc) that can make it a very long commute on many days.

A farther-flung south outer-suburban area like Locust Grove probably is not strongly recommended for commuting to and from Downtown Atlanta either.

That's because of the unpredictability of the I-75 South roadway through Henry County during peak traffic hours (both during the week and even on some weekends) and during some parts of the year when national travel to and from Florida adds to what can already be some very heavy traffic along that roadway during peak traffic hours.

Interstate 75 through the McDonough area can be prone to experience gridlock at times on a not-too-infrequent basis.

I-75 from the US 19-41 junction north to the I-285 South Perimeter near the airport can also be a delay-prone stretch of roadway during peak traffic hours... For whatever reason, lots of serious accidents (often involving 18-wheelers) tend to occur along that stretch of roadway between exits 235 and 238 on I-75 south of Atlanta.

The areas along I-85 South (in areas like Fayette and Coweta counties) are often much more strongly recommended for commuting to and from Downtown Atlanta from the southern suburbs... That's because I-85 south of Atlanta is a less delay-prone roadway than I-75 south of Atlanta.

It does not sound like you know exactly where you will be commuting to and from for work after moving to Atlanta.

Your best course of action will be first secure employment, find out and know where in the expansive Atlanta metro area/region you will be commuting to (and from) for work each day, and then look for an affordable low-crime area with good schools that will be geographically convenient to where you will be working.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:03 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
I agree with everyone else. I would strongly advise against Henry County if you're commuting north of Atlanta.

Besides the extremely rough commute because of all of the warehouse trucks and Florida vacation traffic, another thing to consider will be future job prospects. If you're a college educated professional, there frankly isn't much in the way of opportunities south of Atlanta, as most of the corporate jobs are north of the city. If you lost your job in Gwinnett County, you will no doubt have a hard finding a new one.

But if you insist on living south of I-20 because of affordability, I would suggest Newnan in Coweta County. You get all of the same amenities as you do in Henry County (actually more given proximity to Peachtree City) except far less traffic and overall better schools that are on an upward trajectory, which means property values that hold up/appreciate better. Newnan was also deemed one of the top 10 safest communities in GA last year.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:04 AM

Thank you very much for responding to my question is there any hospital in Henry county I am in the medical field also like I say houses are cheaper in Henry county Iwhat about Emory is it close to Henry county also!

Old 12-28-2018, 09:05 AM

I am African American I used to live in Gwinnett County how’s Fayette county or Coweta County when it’s come to diversity

Old 12-28-2018, 09:33 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
Quote:
I am African American I used to live in Gwinnett County how’s Fayette county or Coweta County when it’s come to diversity
African Americans do make up a smaller overall share of the population in Fayette / Coweta County compared to Henry County, although there are pockets within the counties (specifically Fayetteville, Peachtree City and Newnan) that have a significant concentration black/asian/hispanic people. Newnan is particular, with a population of roughly 40,000, has a racial makeup of 57% white, 28% black and 11% Hispanic.

As far as costs, Coweta County is more affordable than Fayette County and has lower taxes. You can still get new construction homes for $200K to $250K. Fayette County has an extremely limited supply of housing (by design), which means the available homes for sale tend to be very expensive.

That said, none of the areas south of Atlanta will be nearly as diverse as places like Gwinnett County because Henry/Coweta/Fayette Counties are further away from amenities such as the blue ridge mountains, the tech/finance jobs in Sandy Springs/Alpharetta and Lake Lanier.

As far as healthcare jobs, Newnan has the most established healthcare cluster South of Atlanta, being home to Piedmont Newnan Hospital as well as a Cancer Treatment Center of America hospital and Encompass Rehabilitation Hospital. That said, there are some health care jobs in Henry/Fayette Counties with Piedmont Henry and Piedmont Fayette hospitals.

Last edited by citidata18; 12-28-2018 at 10:08 AM..

Old 12-28-2018, 09:59 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Thank you very much for responding to my question is there any hospital in Henry county I am in the medical field also like I say houses are cheaper in Henry county Iwhat about Emory is it close to Henry county also!
There is one somewhat major hospital in Henry County. It is Piedmont Henry Hospital off of I-75 and Eagles Landing Parkway in the Stockbridge area.

There is also a smaller hospital in the form of Kaiser Permanente Henry Towne Centre Medical Center off of I-75 and Jonesboro Road in the McDonough area.

The Emory University campus and its assorted medical/healthcare facilities are about the same distance as, if not farther (depending on which route one might take) than Downtown Atlanta from the McDonough and Locust Grove areas of Henry County in Atlanta's far southern outer-suburbs.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:05 AM

Thank you very much before I move I will look for a job in the area first but how’s the crime in locust grove and McDonough I heard there’s a lot of home invasion,burglaries and the schools are not the best excep union grove what about ola I have a daughter in high school and my son in elementary schools and I also heard there’s a lot of gang activities please I need some input please !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta