Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2018, 01:50 PM

17 posts, read 13,460 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I've posted another thread about our upcoming relocation. But I've been reading about special ed services in Georgia and they dont sound all that great. I have a few questions. My son, who currently has an IEP, has a adhd and a non-verbal learning disorder--essentially issues with social pragmatics, attention, and some visual-spatial perception. He tests as a bright/borderline gifted child with high cognitive capacity but does only average in school.

We are trying to find a couple of school options to visit--both public and private. How are the decatur city schools when it comes to IEP? what privates do well with kids with some learning disabilities?

I looked at many of the schools specifically for learning disabilties, but many are for kids with language based disabilities and that is not his issue--in fact its his strength. And, he does not have autism, emotional difficulty or cognitive/intellectual disabilities. His neuropsych here thinks a nurturing, somewhat structured school with small classes, a lot of creative engagement and hands-on stuff would be the best for him. Do schools like Paidea accept kids with IEPs?

and as for where: we are focusing on close in neighborhoods--decatur, inman park, etc, with decent schools (have another chid who will flourish in most situations). Budget 800k for 4 bedrooms.

also, are there sites for parents of kids with lds in atlanta? are there advocates/consultants you might recommend for help with finding the right school?

thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: